FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A couple more weapons
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
A couple more weapons
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-05 02:08 am   Permalink

My listed pendants on ebay! Goto my Tiki Marketplace Page for the links;

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36635&forum=12&start=last&6

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-05 08:05 am   Permalink

OH MAAAAN...I GOT ONE!

just bought this one...thanks coconutzo

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-10 7:02 pm   Permalink

Malo 'aupito to everyone for your kind words & support. I'd also like to especially thank Mr. Creative Chimp for the purchase of the Ta'aroa Matau. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did in carving it out.

I just listed the following in ebay. If interested in any, check my TC marketplace link at the top for the ebay links.

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-22 02:40 am   Permalink

I just finished another Kuka'ilimoku pendant. This time you can tell he is a male. I was contemplating if I should of carved him donning a malo, the traditional loin cloth but opted for the birthday suit instead.

Traditionally, in ancient times Hawaiian tikis were always dressed with natural fibrous materials covering their loins. They just decayed faster than the hard wooden counterpart and ever since the introduction of Christianity, the people never restored the loincloths for the tiki thus the naked images ever so present today.

Maybe the next one I carve will be wearing a malo.

I just listed him on ebay so if anyone's interested, he'll be in the Tiki Marketplace forum.

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-22 2:56 pm   Permalink

Fantastic detail!! Real nice.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 5:56 pm   Permalink

Hey Tikiholics!

Here's my single weekend warrior project I started last Friday & just finished lashing this morning. Although it took a few days to make, it took me about a week to come up with a final design I'd be happy with. Although I'd like to keep it for myself, I gotta pay some bills so this is going on the ebay block. If you're interested, check out the marketplace for the link.

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 6:10 pm   Permalink

Love it! Great Marq!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 6:37 pm   Permalink

Daaa-yum! That ain't easy!!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 8:15 pm   Permalink

Great work coconuttzo-your thread has shown big improvement from pg. 1 to pg. 7! Have you ever tried carving bigger wood pieces? I think your style would translate well to large format.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 9:03 pm   Permalink

wow...that's some intricate stuff....

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 11:24 am   Permalink

Nice Stuff, I foresee a Mermaid Hook in your future!

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-28 8:50 pm   Permalink

Nutzo! You out there??? Hellooooooooo.....

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 01:36 am   Permalink

Howzit, TC ohana! WOW, It's been too long & unfortunately due to my hectic schedule, I've got little to show for it. Here are a few pieces I've been recently working on. Check'em out & let me know what you think. They'll be going to the marketplace hopefully soon. I'll also be posting some large authentic Tongan tapa sheets there as well. I'll keep ya posted.

Here is a tiki adorned fish hook pendant carved from cow bone. This was some hard work. At first I was gonna be lazy & do just one side but after I was done, the reverse was beggin for some carvin too. As if one side wasn't hard enough. I'm kinda glad that I went with it though. I'm still thinking if I should stain it and brighten the high areas with light sanding. What do you think TC?

Front

This next one is also carved from cow bone. It was inspired from a tshirt design & no, that isn't a bikini top he's wearing. The holes in the side of his jaw is where I will be lashing the necklace cord to. To stain or not to stain... that is the question.

Next is MY FIRST full bodied Manaia attempt carved from the bark of wooly mammoth tusk. This very well seasoned piece of ancient ivory was so beautiful before I cut it up that I was scared of wasting a lot of the textured features. I had to sketch a lot of potential manaia designs for months before I was satisfied with one that wouldn't take away too much material & yet not look too busy. I hope I did the ivory justice! The only thing missing are the eyes for the three heads because I have no paua shell. I do have sperm whale ivory scraps but am afraid that it'll look like cow bone. Any ideas?

Now for some unrelated tiki stuff but well within the era I suppose.

I thought it'd be cool to make a miniature Hawaiian weapon for a pendant so I accquired a small tiger shark jaw which measured about 7" x 3"

I got a piece of rare Koa'ia wood & proceeded to make a Hawaiian war club, "Lei o mano". I wanted it to look rather aged so I used the outer cambium section of the wood. As I was shaping & rasp filing the wood, I thought the natural texture of the cambium would give it that aged artifact look I was going for so I left it in my design.

After gluing the teeth into the carved groove, I was going to lace them down but they looked good as is & I didn't want to ruin it like how I've regretably done other works in the past(burnishing pendant incident). I also didn't want to drill another hole for the pendant tether so I came up with this single string lashing I had in my mind. It seemed impossible at first but as I started going at it, it just seemed to fall into place. NO DRILLING NECESSARY! As far as knowing how I did it? I haven't a clue because I can vaguely remember.

And finally, here are two fish hooks made from ancient wooly mammoth ivory tusks. Those spots are not mildew. They've been on since rough cut to final stage. I've tried sanding them off but I guess it's part of the mineralizing effect from being buried in icy mud for so long.

[ This Message was edited by: coconuttzo 2012-11-07 02:07 ]

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 08:13 am   Permalink

FINALLY more awesomeness from the Nutzo!! I want them all! That first piece is truly epic, I IMO you should stain it, along with the following piece. I just think the slight amount of color variation staining adds enhances all the detail.
The mammoth tusk is a beautiful color!
Whenever you put these on ebay, you should post the link here.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 09:17 am   Permalink

These are beautiful.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation