FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: L.A. Times Magazine "Paradise Poured"
Recipe: L.A. Times Magazine "Paradise Poured"
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 09:30 am   Permalink

http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2010/02/paradise-poured.html

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 2:06 pm   Permalink

But really, this:

http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2010/02/drink-in-paradise.html

Not much new info in there for me, since it's all based on Jeff's (and some of my) work - without direct credit. I felt it was pretty weird to not address the Seal Beach Don The Beachcomber at all. And WHO is this John Coltharp, and why is he standing in a generic kitchen?

Ultimately, one has little to no influence on what the media decides to put out there. For that, it's a nicely written piece.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-07 2:27 pm   Permalink

Wow! thanks for a great article! If any of you are facebookers, please stop by and join the Cocktail Snobbery group.

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-07 7:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-07 14:06, bigbrotiki wrote:
And WHO is this John Coltharp, and why is he standing in a generic kitchen?

He's the a bartender at Seven Grand in LA. It's has a great whisky/whiskey collection from which to choose. Actually, he's a pretty nice guy and great bartender.

[ This Message was edited by: bewarethe151 2010-02-07 19:45 ]

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 3:37 pm   Permalink

I am sure he is. But for using all of Jeff's info and recipes they could have at least mentioned his I-phone app, that would have been up their alley one would presume. It turns out that only the recipes made it into print in the actual magazine, the Don The Beachcomber article is on the website only.

With the advent of the internet it is getting less and less common to give credit to the source of the information that one uses, it is taken as common use knowledge --to be spread as one's own.

I also gave the writer the names of Marie at Don's and Kelly at the Tonga Hut as examples for current Tiki mixologists who use their own fresh ingredients, but neither were mentioned. Instead they used a guy from a Whiskey bar. Like I said, it is out of one's hands what the media does with the info one provides.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-08 7:41 pm   Permalink

The article states "cocktails by John Coltharp with Jeff Berry".

http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2010/02/paradise-poured.html

Not sure if it's different in the print magazine but online it does give credit to Jeff.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 8:34 pm   Permalink

Somewhat, yes, but I was talking more about the content of the Don The Beachcomber article, which is 90% Berry research.

Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 05:15 am   Permalink

bigbro- If you watch the video on how to make the "Zombie", he gives all the credit to Jeff. He says these drinks would be lost without him and he does mention the iPhone app. In fact, he dedicates the finished drink to him.

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 09:11 am   Permalink

Wow, blow me down! Now that is sweet! Thanks for watching them all, of course I didn't!
Now if the Don B article would have credited it's content to the Bum too, as THE Beachcomber authority and reviver of the tradition, it would have been perfect...yeah I know it did so, indirectly. ....but in a perfect world....

kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 4:01 pm   Permalink

Definitely an interesting article, and accompanying movies. I think that this article would be a good introduction to tiki for people who aren't as hip to our favorite subject matter. If they always got ALL of the facts and details and credits straight, I think Bigbro might be out of a job...and nobody wants that.

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 07:23 am   Permalink

A great read!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation