Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Kings Island Amusement Park Tiki Stuff
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Kings Island Amusement Park Tiki Stuff
caffeinated
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-11 5:46 pm   Permalink

Here is a link to the 1972 brochure listing all the areas & attractions:
http://www.kicentral.com/history/ki1972/index.php
I can picture the Rivertown general store having had these items on one of their shelves.

Also a a map:
http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/1972/pki197x_1.html

No tiki to be seen in these images though.

View Profile of caffeinated Send a personal message to caffeinated      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-12 9:46 pm   Permalink

The Howard Johnson's was several miles away next to this place: http://cincinnativiews.net/images-2/Windjammer.jpg
It was not associated with KI and would not have had KI logo items.

Caffeinated is right.
These mugs did come from KI in Cincy or VA.
The logo is the same and I find them all the time here in Cincy.
But, I do not recall any Polynesian place.
It could have been from the International Restaurant.
The place had many types of food and drinks.
Perhaps it had tiki cocktails ala Hawaii or a Chinese restaurant.

View Profile of Tiki Joe Send a personal message to Tiki Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Tim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-15 4:44 pm   Permalink

I think I have the answer about the crown logo on the King's Island mugs.Across from Kings Island was The Kings Island Inn.Inside this hotel was a bar/lounge and a restaurant.I used to frequent this place back in the day when I used to drink but,I can't remember what "theme" it was.I just contacted the hotel,which is now called "The Kings Island Resort & Conference Center",and will contact the Human Resource Manager tomorrow.Just happens I know this person from a long time ago and she used to date my boss.I'll try to get as much information about these mugs that I can.I also work with a guy whose ex-wife worked there in the 80's.I'll post what I can find in a day or 2.Here's a picture of the matchbook.Look above the Kings Island name and "Coat of Arms" for the crown.

View Profile of Tiki-Tim Send a personal message to Tiki-Tim  Email Tiki-Tim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Tim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-17 3:55 pm   Permalink

*** Update ***
Contacted a waitress who used to work at The Kings Island Inn in the early 80's and she said,they used to have a "luau" night every week.During this time they did sell Tiki Mugs.In fact she went on to describe the mugs but,didn't remember anything about the crown logo over the Kings Island name.Contacted another current employee and she's trying to get me some old pictures of the bar.I'll keep you posted.Now on to my next tiki quest.Who got the 30' Tiki posts and the shields from The Wild Animal Safari at Kings Island.I think I know who has it...

Checkout the tiki trash cans...

View Profile of Tiki-Tim Send a personal message to Tiki-Tim  Email Tiki-Tim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caffeinated
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-17 8:48 pm   Permalink

I saw one of those trash cans at a flea market a couple years ago. It was painted bright blue. I wanted to buy it but didn't have the cash on me at the time.

View Profile of caffeinated Send a personal message to caffeinated      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-18 07:25 am   Permalink

You know, I was thinking the old Wild Animal Safari section was a possible link to K.I. tiki memorabilia

Makes perfect sense.

Great investigative work Tiki-Tim! Keep us posted on any updates you may uncover.

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-18 08:27 am   Permalink

Great research and pictures Tiki-Tim!!

I was thinking that Kings Island had a safari type connection, hence the mugs, spears, etc.

Cedar Point also had Jungle Larry's and they also sold tiki stuff too! I got a 3-foot mask there before they closed that section down to make way for more rides.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MondoMcGonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-18 1:05 pm   Permalink

WOW- great gumshoe skills TikiTim! Thanks so much for sharing.

View Profile of MondoMcGonzo Send a personal message to MondoMcGonzo  Goto the website of MondoMcGonzo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caffeinated
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-27 6:01 pm   Permalink

Picked up this coffee mug that uses the same crowned logo as shown on the tiki mugs. It features the image of the amusement park's Eiffel Tower replica.

ebtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-01 12:43 am   Permalink

Great work, Tiki-Tim! I didn't remember the safari area until seeing your post, but I went several times as a kid; I wish I remembered the restaurant, which looks pretty cool.

FYI, Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio (http://www.junglejims.com/index.asp) bought the monorail that used to take visitors through the safari park; not sure if they bought the signage. (I live in New York now, and haven't been there in a few years.)

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 6:45 pm   Permalink

The Kings Island Inn had a Swiss theme.
With a giant cuckoo clock in the restaurant.

View Profile of Tiki Joe Send a personal message to Tiki Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mills

Posted: 2010-08-13 06:44 am   Permalink

I just picked up on this site and thread and was glad to see someone mention the lion country safari. The shops on international street were certainly full of all types of gift items in the 70's, including tiki items.

The "crown" over the Kings Island was an early logo. Here is an interesting video about the construction of the park. At the 0:40 mark, you will see this early logo. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2FyFdoT-ck

[ This Message was edited by: Mills 2010-08-13 06:47 ]

View Profile of Mills Send a personal message to Mills      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ebtiki

Posted: 2010-09-20 9:28 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: ebtiki 2010-10-08 23:19 ]

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ebtiki

Posted: 2010-09-23 11:29 pm   Permalink

Two pix from the Cincinnati Zoo; I suspect these may have come from the Lion Country Safari area:

Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 1:36 pm   Permalink

Sorry to say that those did not come from the Lion Country Safari.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation