Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Ice Shell
The Ice Shell
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 09:38 am   Permalink

When I first arrived at the Mai-Kai in 2003, I was served a Shark Bite in an ice shell. I asked Kern how to make one. This weekend, I finally did!

All the details are here.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 10:01 am   Permalink

Swanky I saw this on your blog. Super cool looking!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 11:17 am   Permalink

Gorgeous.

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 11:28 am   Permalink

I made 3 and this was the best. And I realized I can re-use them. But I have way too much freezer space filled with ice shells now! I know how to do it now, so, I can do more if the urge hits.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 7:12 pm   Permalink

Looks good Swanky! I've always wanted to try to make one of those. I get what you're saying with the freezer space thing...I was into the Navy Grog ice cones for a while there. I think I'll take a stab at this soon.

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 08:59 am   Permalink

that would be great for a blue hawaiian....it will look like a small tidal wave in your glass..be sure to use cream in your recipe to get that nice aqua blue/green color.....garnish with one of those plastic cake-topper surfer figures and you are ready to hang 10....in fact, that could be the new name for the drink..the "hang 10"...features a blue hawaian recipe, ice shell and surfer figurine.....call the beach bum, i got one for the book !!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 11:12 am   Permalink

I love that! And the idea of a blue drink to make it look like a wave. How wonderful! I've got to buy a little surf board and person and try to make the shell.

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 12:36 pm   Permalink

Good thinkin Tipsy. I just made the drink I first was served here. I did strain it obvously. A blue drink would be next, if I stocked blue curacao... I have those little pink mermaid glass hangers. Might make a nice addition. I serve it with a swizzle stick as a tiny straw.

Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-09 2:51 pm   Permalink

Oooh ! That looks yummy ! Nice one! I just got schooled earlier this week on the different types of ice and when and where it matters. I need a bigger bar.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 7:01 pm   Permalink

So I got some blue Curacao.

I had not made these drinks in years. I knew one was not blue. Blue Hawaii: Yellow and Blue make Green.

The Blue Hawaii was the one that turned green...

But the Blue Reef was indeed blue.

No surfer, but I had a little mermaid...

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2010-02-10 20:21 ]

kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 8:01 pm   Permalink

I love how your crushed ice looks forming the cave. I made a Shark's Tooth (you gave me the idea with the Bite) in my first ice shell. I used more of a shaved ice, but it seemed to work alright. Sorry for the crappy shots, I had to take them with my phone. Thanks for the instructions

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 8:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-10 20:01, kahalakruzer wrote:
I love how your crushed ice looks forming the cave. I made a Shark's Tooth (you gave me the idea with the Bite) in my first ice shell. I used more of a shaved ice, but it seemed to work alright. Sorry for the crappy shots, I had to take them with my phone. Thanks for the instructions

Looks yummy. Shark Tooth is the Shark Bite.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2010-02-10 20:22 ]

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation