FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Mauna Kai, Williamsville 21, NY (restaurant)
Mauna Kai, Williamsville 21, NY (restaurant)
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-09 5:59 pm   Permalink

Name:Mauna Kai
Type:restaurant
Street:6870 Main Street
City:Williamsville 21
State:NY
Zip:
Phone:634-4404

Description:
There does not seem to be much information on this location, but I have noticed some of their plates on another thread.

The back of the menu is imprinted \"Mauna Kai Room\" inc with the address on Main St. Under that is a stamp that reads:

Explorer East Restaurant
1104-4 Erie Blvd.
Syracuse, N.Y.

Very curious.
Restaurantware can be seen here...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34296&forum=5&start=last&49

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 05:41 am   Permalink

Not much out there but I did come by this mention on the YesterCuse.com website. The restaurants were connected at one time. Maybe some more info will come out.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the block bounded by Erie Boulevard East, East Water Street, University Avenue and Walnut Avenue, there was once an Polynesian-themed restaurant and nightclub. The restaurant was razed in the 1960s or 1970s. Today, the entire block is a wide, featureless, grassy median that no longer even has sidewalks. Because of its exposure to the traffic of Erie Boulevard, it makes for a poor location to relax.

(above) "Shangri-La East Gardens - 1104 Erie Blvd., E. at Univ. Ave. - Syracuse, N.Y. - TEL. 476-4244 - An adventure in decor. Delightful and warm. American and Polynesian food. Tropical drinks. Intriguing, delicious, taste pleasers. Open weekdays - noon 'til 1 a.m. Weekends 'til 3 a.m. - Music and Dancing"

(right) "Explorer East - 1104 Erie Blvd E.
An Adventure in Decor -- Delightful and Warm Intriguing, Delicious, Taste Pleasers
American & Polynesian Foods - Explore the Exotic Tropical Drinks"
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry about the small pics but that's what was on the site.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-02-10 8:51 pm   Permalink

The mystery of Explorer East has puzzled me for a long time. There is a plate in Tiki Quest on page 121* and ever since I saw that I’ve wondered where this place was? Last summer while doing a Google search for it I came across a closed ebay auction** featuring a creamer and the Tiki on it has a kinda a serious Abraham Lincoln look about him which is different than the Tiki on the plate. The auction had ended around $8.00 Grrr!

Oh Jackson China you made cool stuff.

Anyway I was hoping that it would a nice addition to the
Big Ten post making it The Big Eleven but so far all we have is tableware which is actually really good start.

* I apologize for not having a scanner in 2010.
** Yes Dusty Cajun I am a hypocrite.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 10:22 pm   Permalink

Bongofury,

Need to see the menu on the post! I am adding for you, as well as Big Kahuna's plate.

Get some more scans of it will ya.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 11:19 pm   Permalink

Boris,

I have a scanner and don't worry, I don't think of you as a hypocrite.*
Here is the Explorer East plate from Tiki Quest.

*It should really be the Big 12 with the Beachcomber and Hawaii Kai!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 8:35 pm   Permalink

So I guess the Mauna Kai and the Explorer East were sister restaurants, all though none of the Explorer East items I have seen mention the Mauna Kai.

Here are a few more items I saw on ebay.

A dinner and drink menu set.

And a matchbook.

Looks like they were trying to cover all of the culinary bases with the Chinese and Polynesian Room, the Sayonara Room for Japanese food, and, for those meat loving Americans, the Sir Aurthur Room for steaks and chops. That's funny!

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 4:27 pm   Permalink

I finally managed to find one of the drink menus from the Mauna Kai Room. The cover again.

And the back. This one does not have the Explorer East stamp that is on Bongo Fury's menu.

There are some great drink illustrations with some poetic drink descriptions throughout the menu, so I did some close ups.

All of the Tiki art in the repeating border is borrowed from Steven Crane's Luau and Kon Tiki restaurants.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2011-08-05 16:39 ]

Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-22 2:38 pm   Permalink

Here's a Mauna-Kai version of the Explorer East plate.

Different color and of course the different name. No doubt there's a connection between the two restaurants...

Here's the Explorer East plate for comparison:

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2013-09-22 14:39 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NYtikigirl

Posted: 2014-05-01 2:12 pm   Permalink

OMGosh..!! This is WILD… my parents owned the Mauna Kai in Williamsville, NY many, many moons ago..!!

View Profile of NYtikigirl Send a personal message to NYtikigirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 06:12 am   Permalink

I hope you have things to share with us about this location!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation