FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Literature! What are you reading?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Literature! What are you reading?
pali-uli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-10 9:04 pm   Permalink

There are thousands of books linked with polynesia, whether they are history books, travel pamphlets, or early travel logs of explorers/adventurers. All of these are valuable resources for the tiki collector and anthropological enthusiast. What have you been reading? No doubt this will help those of us with decent pacific islander libraries to expand our collections and give those just starting their libraries, a place to start. Post away!

View Profile of pali-uli Send a personal message to pali-uli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pali-uli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-10 9:55 pm   Permalink

Like many other's. One of my first experiences with Polynesia was reading Kon-Tiki in early middle school. Like those living in the original "tiki era" this captivated my imagination and attention. It's books like these that got this crazy habit started. I have almost made it through the whole Thor Heyerdahl collection, but although being an avid reader, am still working at finishing Fatu-Hiva at the age of 28. I'm not giving up though. There are so many books and so little time.

View Profile of pali-uli Send a personal message to pali-uli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pali-uli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-10 9:58 pm   Permalink

I will try to post my collection soon. I left my camera at work, but wanted to start the post while I still remembered.

Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 10:24 pm   Permalink

I have a book called "Cargo Cult: Strange Stories from Melanesia and Beyonf". It was good until it's pretentious, "we're the true cultists" college thesis ending.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pali-uli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-10 10:30 pm   Permalink

Is that the one where the islanders started worshiping the pilots who landed on their islands with supplies?

Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-10 10:54 pm   Permalink

Just scored a Kon Tiki book, now I understand where Tiki originated from. Wish I knew about Tiki history before a certain post I did!
Trader Bob

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 02:17 am   Permalink

Many books have been discussed here at TC over the years. I finally picked up Tony Horwitz's Blue Latitudes and it's a "must read" and a fun read for all South Pacific island enthusiasts. Tony retraces Captain James Cooks explorations in a travelogue style. As he travels you learn all about Cook's adventures.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 06:53 am   Permalink

How have you liked Kon-Tiki? I found it a little too dry. But, Aku-Aku I loved. Thought it was a much more fascinating read.

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-11 11:20 am   Permalink

As a book it is a little amateurish, but the historical Tiki value keeps you interested. I am enjoying it though, and I will get the other books authored by Thor.
Trader Bob....

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-11 11:34 am   Permalink

Otto Von Stroheim's Tiki News !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 12:37 pm   Permalink

Alright they're not "historic" tiki, but, during this crazy snow I went through Tiki Quest (one read through and the pages are falling out), Tiki Road Trip and Tiki Mugs. I had planned on reading a Kon Tiki that I got for Christmas, but it's a first ed. and after the Tiki Quest thing I was worried about cracking it open.

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 2:09 pm   Permalink

Here's the thread on that. Kon Tiki, Blue Latitudes and many others, must reads in "Beyond Tiki" forum. ALOHA!!! http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17724&forum=6&hilite=BookReviewThread

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 3:01 pm   Permalink

On the nightstand at the moment. About an expedition to the interior of Dutch New Guinea in 1959. A good read so far.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 3:31 pm   Permalink

Ooooh: "72 pages of superb photographs!" I like! ...sorry, this thread is about READING!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 4:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-11 02:17, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Many books have been discussed here at TC over the years. I finally picked up Tony Horwitz's Blue Latitudes and it's a "must read" and a fun read for all South Pacific island enthusiasts. Tony retraces Captain James Cooks explorations in a travelogue style. As he travels you learn all about Cook's adventures.

I second that! I really liked Blue Latitudes. A couple others I just read:

Getting Stoned with Savages and The Sex Lives of Cannibals by Maartin Troost - Loved both of these.

Typee by Herman Melville - a great classic - need to pick up Oomo and Mardi next.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation