FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki 2 Pre-Tiki California Spots-Any info?
2 Pre-Tiki California Spots-Any info?
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-13 12:39 pm   Permalink

I came across these 2 Matchcovers/books on eBay and I can't find anything in the search about them. Please excuse me if I am wrong. One was in National City and the other in Pittsburg, CA ???

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-13 2:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-13 12:39, Or Got Rum? wrote:
I came across these 2 Matchcovers/books on eBay and I can't find anything in the search about them. Please excuse me if I am wrong. One was in National City and the other in Pittsburg, CA ???

I just got off the phone with Julie Holbrook, the daughter of Larry, who now owns larry's, the great little dive bar on 10th just up from Harbor in Pittsburg (CA).Larry's has in operation since the 1930s.

Julie said her aunt (Larry's sister) worked at Club Tahiti and that it burned down in the early 40s. She was super busy, so we arranged for me to call back on Monday, to get more information.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-13 4:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I just got off the phone with Julie Holbrook, the daughter of Larry, who now owns larry's, the great little dive bar on 10th just up from Harbor in Pittsburg (CA).Larry's has in operation since the 1930s.

Julie said her aunt (Larry's sister) worked at Club Tahiti and that it burned down in the early 40s. She was super busy, so we arranged for me to call back on Monday, to get more information.

Haole'akamai, Great (and fast) research. Thanks for the info...keep us updated. It looks cool.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-13 7:30 pm   Permalink

That Tahiti Cafe matchbook sure is an eye popper! So accurate in its depiction of native life! Never knew about it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 11:27 am   Permalink

Vintage San Diego posted this ad for The Tahiti in National City on Facebook. Looks pretty cool!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 9:46 pm   Permalink

Orgot,
The art on those matchbooks is awesome!
Mahalo for sharing

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 12:02 pm   Permalink

It looks like the IRS was after the owners of the Tahiti Cafe. It's a pretty dry legal document. www.leagle.com/decision/195210711ztcm96_182

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation