FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving How would you turn this into a pendant?
How would you turn this into a pendant?
Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 08:44 am   Permalink

Hi TC! I managed to get my hands on a real whale tooth, legally obtained many years ago at Lahaina Scrimshaw in a grab bag of all things. I wanted to somehow get this turned into a hanging pendant, but remain respectful to how it may have been done in ancient times. Any of you carvers have any good ideas? I thought about drilling vs. just wrapping and want to make sure it is secure... without damaging it.

Thanks!

View Profile of Blowfish Send a personal message to Blowfish  Email Blowfish Goto the website of Blowfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-02-16 09:33 am   Permalink

No drill! Yes wrap! with some extra insurance of glue.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 10:03 am   Permalink

Yeah I think wrapping is the way to go too... glue would make it more secure for sure. Any instructions for how to wrap such a thing? Oh, and what would be the best material to wrap it with?

Thanks!

View Profile of Blowfish Send a personal message to Blowfish  Email Blowfish Goto the website of Blowfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 3:54 pm   Permalink

One method of wrapping...
http://www.ivoryexperts.com/picts/tooth.jpg

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 4:05 pm   Permalink

It looks so beautiful as is, that drilling it would be a sin. Yes lashing/wrapping it would make more sense aesthetically but even with glue, it isn't 100% secure. It's a tough decision but if I were you, I'd drill, then hide it with lashing of your choice.

TikiMango shows a good idea or try this one(specifically Fri. 17 June, 2005 entry:

http://radio-weblogs.com/0128644/categories/boneCarving/

I use waxed polyester thread for my pendants.

Or another option is... you can sell it to me... LOL!

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 4:35 pm   Permalink

this has a small hole drilled, but the lashing covers it. most bone pieces have small holes to put the lashing through to start it.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 10:07 pm   Permalink

Hmm, so maybe drill one starter hole... I wonder if I should go ask a dentist! This is one thing I don't want to screw up...

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation