[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Home Tiki Bars
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Home Tiki Bars
gbetts

Posted: 2003-04-29 09:23 am   Permalink

Hi Guys,
I am new to the board. Long story short I am from Florida and now living in Michigan. I am building a Tiki bar for my home and I was wondering if any one else had done the same.

View Profile of gbetts Send a personal message to gbetts      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-29 09:41 am   Permalink

Aloha GBetts!

Welcome! If you look at
this link, you will see that there is a Tiki Central Photo Archive area where you can scroll down to "Home Tiki Bars" for ideas. The photo archive is new so at this time you won't find pages and pages of pictures, but what is there are sure to get you motivated!

One word of advice if I may:
Decorate to YOUR delight. Don't worry about adding decor that others think are "tiki". Just have fun with it and add what brings a smile to your face, a warmth to your Aloha Spirit....and something to keep the ice cold!

SugarCaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-04-29 11:12 am   Permalink

Aloha gbetts,

SugarCaddyDaddy is right. Also, please be advised that a 'tiki bar' is NEVER finished. Like a few other things I can think of, once you start you'll never stop. It will be your monument to tiki...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-29 9:58 pm   Permalink

Here's a old post that has several home bars. There are some really great ideas.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1034&forum=1

Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-29 10:06 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Where in Michigan, may I ask?
I have a large number of surfer buds all along the west coast of MI...

Welcome to Tiki Central!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-29 11:14 pm   Permalink

I've got 18 tiki bars on order going out this week! It's starting to finally catch on!!! But, will it be as big as South West was?
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-Sunset(ish)
Sun. 11-4ish
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Squawker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-04-30 01:01 am   Permalink

SugarCaddyDaddy has said, in my humble opinion, one of the most intelligent comments I've seen up here in the past week.

Your tiki world, as it were, is a personal philosophy of life. Not simply a bunch of ceramic bric-a-brak, thatching and over-priced wood carvings. Tiki is your personal expression of freedom of spirit. Sort of a Ying & Yang philosophy of life. A balance that's keeps you mentally and emotionally stable in a bizarre environment that bombs the crap out of a pile of rocks in the Third World, then gives them a band-aid and a Gameboy, expecting them to be grateful.

Tiki, idealistically in my own life, is a frame of mind, not a physical collection of material goods. I'm not sure this is a popular opinion here. I can't help about what I feel. I've chopped my way through real jungles to find that Mayan pyramid. I've slipped on wet rocks and flew over a 50 foot waterfall on Kauai.I watched the Northern Lights and was spiritually moved. I dug my hands into a pile of gray earth in southeastern Montana and unearthed a 65 million year old fossil.

Build the tropical part of your personal world into whatever makes you happy. Other people's attitudes matter not.

View Profile of Squawker Send a personal message to Squawker  Goto the website of Squawker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-30 08:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-30 01:01, Squawker wrote:
SugarCaddyDaddy has said, in my humble opinion, one of the most intelligent comments I've seen up here in the past week.

Gee, that's kind of sounds like an insult to me...

Quote:

Tiki, idealistically in my own life, is a frame of mind, not a physical collection of material goods. Build the tropical part of your personal world into whatever makes you happy.

I think most of us on this board already do live by this philosophy. It's why we have such lively debates around here. The members of this board come from very different backgrounds but we're all drawn to one thing - TIKI. Some of us are Collectors, some of us are Urban Archaelogists, some of us are Artists. After spending some time on these boards, you'll see that.

I can't help but feel like you're lecturing to us. And Squawker, the last thing I need is someone lecturing to me about how I'm "not as tiki" as they are.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-30 08:18 am   Permalink

BINGO!

Game point

POP 1001

Squawker 36

p.s. I think he's just on fire (born again?)

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-30 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

I've chopped my way through real jungles to find that Mayan pyramid. I've slipped on wet rocks and flew over a 50 foot waterfall on Kauai.I watched the Northern Lights and was spiritually moved. I dug my hands into a pile of gray earth in southeastern Montana and unearthed a 65 million year old fossil.

I almost bought a Shag decanter, but nearly shat myself when I saw the price. Does that count?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-04-30 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

Your tiki world, as it were, is a personal philosophy of life. Not simply a bunch of ceramic bric-a-brak, thatching and over-priced wood carvings. Tiki is your personal expression of freedom of spirit. Sort of a Ying & Yang philosophy of life. A balance that's keeps you mentally and emotionally stable in a bizarre environment that bombs the crap out of a pile of rocks in the Third World, then gives them a band-aid and a Gameboy, expecting them to be grateful.

Tiki, idealistically in my own life, is a frame of mind, not a physical collection of material goods. I'm not sure this is a popular opinion here. I can't help about what I feel. I've chopped my way through real jungles to find that Mayan pyramid. I've slipped on wet rocks and flew over a 50 foot waterfall on Kauai.I watched the Northern Lights and was spiritually moved. I dug my hands into a pile of gray earth in southeastern Montana and unearthed a 65 million year old fossil.

Build the tropical part of your personal world into whatever makes you happy. Other people's attitudes matter not.

Oh Master Squawker, I live for your enlightening sermons. Please tell me more, oh master. We are only dumbshits and know nothing of the zen of tiki.

PS - how was last week's appreciation on your little condo in inland Costa Mesa?

Squawker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-04-30 10:02 am   Permalink

Wah? I boddah you? I no can da kine if you no like da kine. Ey, I cannot handle.

Pardon the pidgin. I'll interpet. It seems no matter what I say it seems to cause ripples in someone else's lagoon. Okay, I see where this is going...After a week I've observed some people's interpetation of "tiki" is different than mine. Perhaps I misjudge, and if so, I apologize publicly.

But I still feel we think differently. The mana I've lived with for decades has been one of spiritual harmony mixed with playful fun. I've sensed some negative underlining around here (personified by some people's obsessions over musical styles and what is tiki or what isn't tiki, etc.)that bothers me. Throws the Ying & Yan out of balance.

All right. Many years ago, I spent a summer living on a reservation up near Crow Agency. During that time a Crow shaman (as he was treated by others) advised me that each person must go their own life way. Follow your heart. Let others do the same. I may have forgotten that briefly and so apologize again.

It has been an interesting week, though. So I guess I'm Elvis...I'm history..I'm outta here.

Aloha nui loa and may the gods bless (whether you believe in them or not). Bye...

[ This Message was edited by: Squawker on 2003-04-30 10:04 ]

View Profile of Squawker Send a personal message to Squawker  Goto the website of Squawker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-04-30 10:07 am   Permalink

Squaker,

You can't have it both ways. You make judgements yourself, then you think by throwing in some lofty sounding bullshit with your subjective comments that every one is supposed to say 'I see Zen Master'.

Since you couldn't snatch the pebble from our hand, it is time for you to leave...

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-30 10:28 am   Permalink

Hey Squawker,
Do you own any Berkenstocks?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-30 12:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-30 10:02, Squawker wrote:
A load of pretentious shite

Squawker - You've missed the whole point of Tiki Central by quite a few yards. Perhaps your third eye was temporarily closed. People come here to talk about Tiki in all it's forms, and oddly enough people have opinions. When people disagree, it doesn't set our 'Tiki World' into some horrific cosmic imbalance. No doubt these same people will agree about something else a few posts later - 'karma' restored.

So you're off now? Fine. You've managed to insult the vast majority of us here with your crude assumptions. Leave the 'material world' of Tiki to us and go back to wanking dolphins.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation