FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Los Straitjackets, Big Sandy, & The Hula Girls at the Galaxy 4/09/10!! (NOW UPDATED WITH PHOTOS!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Los Straitjackets, Big Sandy, & The Hula Girls at the Galaxy 4/09/10!! (NOW UPDATED WITH PHOTOS!)
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 1:27 pm   Permalink

Hey Chris , were you walking around in a blue and white hawaiian shirt ? I thought maybe I saw you also .

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 2:30 pm   Permalink

Hula girls put on a great show .For those of you who did not hang til the end, you
missed out on a incredible performance by Los Straightjackets.I had never seen them
play before and these guys blew me away!.I found out they have been playing for 17
years .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 6:44 pm   Permalink

John-O, I was definitely in the pit. TikiRay, yah that was me. Hope to meet more of y'all at future gigs!

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 08:53 am   Permalink

If you guys aren't already 'fans' of the Hula Girls on Facebook, join up for updates from the recording studio! http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Hula-Girls/81807891157?ref=ts
So far, the recordings are sounding amazing!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 4:57 pm   Permalink

This was a great show, the Hula Girls were amazing, they keep getting better every time I see them. Los Straitjackets were awesome as well, I've been a long time fan of theirs but this was the first time I had seen them. I can't imagine playing on that stage for an hour wearing a suit and a wrestling mask, it was hot as hell in that place! (Spike, I saw you sweating quite a bit up there!) Big Sandy and his boys were consistent as always...Dannelle and I were trying to count how many times we have seen him play, and we couldn't do it. Truly the nicest and most knowledgeable guy in rockabilly though. Nice to see the Galaxy back to its original glory...it looks almost exactly the same after the remodel. Great times, thanks guys!

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 09:54 am   Permalink

Yeah, I was sweating like a bastard up there I can't imagine playing in a suit and a mask either!! Actually, I went to Brazil for Hurley, playing Ramones songs, and I had to wear a leather jacket and a wig for an hour of super fast Ramones guitar playing.... that was almost unbearable. And we did a show that was outside, during the daytime, in Florida for that band too. I seriously almost passed out on stage during that show. But every night in a wrestling mask and a suit?? Crazy!. They are sooo good though.

Thanks for the comments about getting better and better, Jason. I think that The Hula Girls are at our best on big stages for big crowds. We really rise to that challenge. And Gary, the owner of The Galaxy loved us too, so I think we'll be doing more at the Galaxy, in the future. In fact, we were throwing around ideas about a surf/ tiki/ exotica/ car show thing there. It would be really cool to have a band like Tikiyaki during the dinner crowd and ramp up the rock n' roll as the night goes on... Maybe that'll happen down the line...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
goddess-sunb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-12 11:39 am   Permalink

Thank YOU again for a fun evening on Friday!!!

The Hula Girls were great - it was a NICE touch to see actual "Hula Girls" on stage.

The Galaxy is always a great venue to see a show, hopefully you guys will play there again.

Until next time.

View Profile of goddess-sunb Send a personal message to goddess-sunb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 12:35 pm   Permalink

Here's another vid from the night, the footage was too good to chop up. Rock it out Dominic!

The Hula Girls - Longboard Baby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJ4bYL_BTY

Cheersies!

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-04-12 14:11 ]

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 1:19 pm   Permalink

John,
did you stay for Big Sandy, and Los Straitjackets?
they both put on great sets/shows too.

Spike,
you guys were on fire that night.
you absolutely have improved a lot of the last year or so.

Jeff(btd)

Quote:

On 2010-04-10 00:25, JOHN-O wrote:
GREAT SHOW !! My favorite songs were "Waikiki Moon" and "Volcano". If Surf Music can be Tiki music then the Hula Girls prove that Rockabilly (or Hula-billy) can be too. This was 110% Tiki Music !!

Also the sexy hula dancers were a nice touch. It was like an alternate reality mid-century Polynesian floor show.

Thanks for the T-shirt, Spike. I'll wear it with Tiki pride.

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2010-04-12 13:23 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 2:52 pm   Permalink

Wait until you hear our CD! You are not gonna believe your ears! We are only 30% done, and it already sounds great!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 3:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-12 13:19, bigtikidude wrote:

John,

Huh, there were more bands after the Hula Girls ?? I thought they were the headlining band.

Soon enough I guess.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 3:28 pm   Permalink

A great night of bands. Pretty sweet to see Big Sandy jamming with Los Straightjackets on a few tunes....Now off to The Specials in a few nights....

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 3:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-12 15:27, JOHN-O wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-04-12 13:19, bigtikidude wrote:

John,

Huh, there were more bands after the Hula Girls ?? I thought they were the headlining band.

Soon enough I guess.

so you didn't stay for the later bands?
tsk tsk tsk.

Jeff(BTD)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 4:06 pm   Permalink

Tsk, tsk tsk ???

According to my show diary, I first saw Los Straitjackets on Jan 16th, 1996 at the (now defunct) Alligator Lounge in Santa Monica. Dude, where were you 14 years ago ?? Hanging outside the Whiskey waiting to see some "hair" band ?

Plus you're supposed to give people crap for not showing support for the opening acts, not the main event.

Putting this back on track, Lucas I'm looking forward to the CD. Did you show up for that gig ??

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 4:14 pm   Permalink

was never into hair bands, sorry to burst yer illusions.
stopped going to shows on the strip in the early 90s.

I saw LSJ's in 97 or so, so you go me beat there.
But because you saw them then, makes it ok to miss them now?
how does that work?
hmmmmm

just razzin ya man,

Jeff(btd)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation