FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Mr Tiki's Wild Ride - Hosts Wanted
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 Next Page )
Mr Tiki's Wild Ride - Hosts Wanted
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-19 06:11 am   Permalink

Adding my two cents cuz over the years I've really enjoyed reading about the travels of Mr. Tiki.

I think a "real" Mr. Tiki is essential for the sport of it. Yeah, he can get lost. But if we were to figure out a way to keep emailing the current holder - a weekly nag - that might help. And add two new rules - 1) you must provide your phone number, and 2) you can only keep him for two weeks or so before we start calling you. This may help us avoid losing Mr. Tikis just due to human nature and the hustle and bustle of life.

Maybe I can host him someday since my city now has a good population of tikiphiles and tiki bars.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-12-19 08:38 am   Permalink

Maybe one of those cheap tracking tags can be installed in Mr Tiki and then you could see where he is at all times.

Like one of these things:
Tile Mate - Key Finder. Phone Finder. Anything Finder - 1-pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3VEC08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WeuoAbW3629E3

[ This Message was edited by: tikitube 2017-12-19 08:42 ]

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-19 08:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-12-19 08:38, tikitube wrote:
Maybe one of those cheap tracking tags can be installed in Mr Tiki and then you could see where he is at all times.

Like one of these things:
Tile Mate - Key Finder. Phone Finder. Anything Finder - 1-pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3VEC08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WeuoAbW3629E3

Good idea. Acceptance of Mr. Tiki would imply and require acceptance of the tracking device as well. I didn't look up the cost, but heck, a number of us could chip in a buck or two to keep it going.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-19 11:24 am   Permalink

Lots of activity on this tread lately, that's a good thing

Hamo there has been several times he has gone missing, some longer than others. I always try to communicate with the "abductor" (Thanks TikiSkip ) via PM, e-mail, etc. They usually just ignore my messages. It's supposed to be a fun thing so I don't really get up in their faces, don't want to piss anyone off and chase them away over something that really is trivial.

Swizzle and Ace, I agree that a real Mr Tiki is more meaningful than a picture or even a 3D printed version.

Tikitube, that tracking device is a good idea. But there are a few reasons why it might not work; one, I usually KNOW where Mr Tiki is - he's at the home of the last recipient. But knowing where he is doesn't seem to get him moving. Two, those BlueTooth finders are "crowd-sourced". As I understand, someone with that app turned on has to be within 100 feet of the object for it to be "discovered". It might help if Mr Tiki is actually lost instead of just waiting forever to be mailed out.

Let me see if I can get Mr Tiki IV going after the holidays. The BlueTooth Tiles are inexpensive, I wouldn't mind attaching one. I think better communication and accountability is the key. I need to check with the intended recipient to get some contact information first and to get a commitment from the to "play nicely"

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-19 12:38 pm   Permalink

You need to add a curse for irresponsible people on the next one Mike.

Something like "I'm Mr. Tiki don't move me on and your life will get freaky"

And remember TC people the last location was the ETI RADIO Broadcast from the Blue Whale Tiki Bar on Exotic Tiki Island so give the proper support to Exotic Tiki Island with Tiki Brian.

Exotic Tiki Island with Tiki Brian last known abductor.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-19 1:13 pm   Permalink

"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-19 11:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-12-19 12:38, tikiskip wrote:
You need to add a curse for irresponsible people on the next one Mike.

Something like "I'm Mr. Tiki don't move me on and your life will get freaky"

And remember TC people the last location was the ETI RADIO Broadcast from the Blue Whale Tiki Bar on Exotic Tiki Island so give the proper support to Exotic Tiki Island with Tiki Brian.

Exotic Tiki Island with Tiki Brian last known abductor.

Way to go Skip!
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-20 09:20 am   Permalink

"Beware of the curse! Mr Tiki is a transient spirit and does not like to stay too long in one hut. So welcome him into your home, show him the local sights but DO NOT let him stay longer that two weeks or strange things will start to happen; the glaze on your most prized Tiki mug will craze and start to flake off. All of your rum will turn to cheap vodka and your limes will be juiceless. Your lauhala mats will mildew and your thatch will catch fire. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
I can put this on the back of Mr Tiki

tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-12-20 8:13 pm   Permalink

Regardless of how you move forward, please let us know of the costs involved for creating Mr Tiki IV (with or without tracking) so we can pitch in. I'd be happy to PayPal a few bucks to get him going again.

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Brian
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-12-21 07:34 am   Permalink

What a shame. We mailed out Mr Tiki from Exotic Tiki Island months ago and I'm assuming he did not make it to his next destination . I should have added tracking to the package.

View Profile of Tiki-Brian Send a personal message to Tiki-Brian  Email Tiki-Brian Goto the website of Tiki-Brian     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-21 07:52 am   Permalink

See if you posted that months ago that would have helped.

Who did you send it to?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-21 08:02 am   Permalink

Good suggestion! Add to the "required" list for Mr. Tiki hosts to always use tracking when mailing the little guy. But even so, stuff gets stolen from mailboxes and doorsteps, so nothing is 100%. A delivery confirmation signature requirement would also help.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-21 09:19 am   Permalink

I was supposed to be getting Mr Tiki next, I sent my address but never got him and never heard back.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-21 09:45 am   Permalink

OK, moving forward with Mr Tiki IV. I have ordered a resin Tiki from the San Diego Tiki Factory (our very own Buzzy) and a Tile tracker from Amazon. He should be ready to send to Hiltiki in a couple of weeks (I have your address Hilda). I will print THE CURSE to the back along with abbreviated instructions and a url to this thread. I will set a permanent reminder in my calendar so I can check on him every 2 weeks and make sure he is moving along. And I have modified the guidelines on the front page to this:

NEW GUIDELINES
We are working on Mr Tiki IV, the other 3 have sadly disappeared. I'm going to try to keep in better communication with the hosts to keep him moving instead of being stuck in one place for months at a time. The idea is that a host receives Mr Tiki and keeps him for a maximum of two weeks before sending him off to the next destination. During that time, take a picture of Mr Tiki with you and any local sites, especially anything of Tiki interest. The idea is NOT to document him visiting every destination in your tri-state area or to hang onto him because you will be visiting Fiji in two years - just take some pics of him, post them here, and send him on.

The current host determines who he goes to next, if you need suggestions on who to send him to PM me or check the last few pages of this thread to see who is following. PLEASE PM ME BEFORE SENDING MR TIKI TO HIS NEXT DESTINATION. This will allow me to check with the new host to make sure they want to participate, that they agree to the guidelines, and to make sure I have a good means of communicating with them (cell phone number). There is a list below of previous hosts, we should send him to new people if possible.

Thanks for playing along These guidelines will help everyone enjoy Mr Tiki but will also help protect the hosts from THE CURSE!!!
"Mr. Tiki is a transient spirit and does not like to stay too long in one hut. So welcome him into your home, show him the local sights, but DO NOT let him stay longer than two weeks or strange things will start to happen. The glaze on your most prized Tiki mug will crack and start to flake off. All of your rum will turn to cheap vodka and your limes will be juice-less. Your lauhala mats will mildew and your thatch will catch fire. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2017-12-21 09:58 ]

Tiki-Brian
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-12-21 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-12-21 07:52, tikiskip wrote:
See if you posted that months ago that would have helped.

Who did you send it to?

I did post it months ago. In a private message

View Profile of Tiki-Brian Send a personal message to Tiki-Brian  Email Tiki-Brian Goto the website of Tiki-Brian     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation