FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-23 11:52 am   Permalink

Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge
location : South Redondo Beach - just .9 miles due NE of the Tiki Apartments (Torrance), and .7 miles from the ocean
description : Outdoor patio and lanai.

OK, I'm starting work on my outdoor Tiki Bar/Lounge. Being that I'm renting, I can't really do anything structurally, so I have to be creative with how I attach things, and am limited somewhat, so I'm open to suggestions for that kind of stuff.

I live in a pretty darn cool mid century modern style duplex, upstairs, and have an awesome wrap around 5 ft wide deck. with a 17'x8' patio area off the master bedroom. Like many of the duplexes and fourplexes in Redondo, the deck overlooks the garage...alot of places here have a deck over the entire garage which is amazing. Here, I have a small 30" high wall, which makes a good ledge for sitting, and I can put plants out on the garage behind the wall, to save patio space. We get an awesome ocean breeze up there all day and night as well.
So it should make for great summer nights. Also there is electric AND a water spout, so, it's good to go on utilities.

I don't have an ocean view, it faces east, but at night the lights from the houses on the opposing hill make for nice scenic backdrop. So, being that it's upstairs, it's a "Sky lounge"
Also, when the ocean is crashing hard, you can hear the waves at night, and you can smell the ocean too, on some days.

The plan is to get a bbq, some comfortable loungers, table to eat at, and have my small Bamboo Ben bar out there, and tiki the place up.

So, here is the starting point.

The stairway up and entrance going up to the sky lounge

Lanai area in front of house.

Main Patio/lounge area

View from the sky lounge

First piece of decor - Swap Meet find...A Split barrel with shelf space. The back is flat. (thanx Doctor Z for helping me get this to my truck ! )

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2010-02-23 11:53 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 12:23 pm   Permalink

Look forward to seeing your progress Jim.

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-23 12:50 pm   Permalink

Looks like there's good potential in the space. Can't wait to see the night shots!

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-23 1:09 pm   Permalink

With a place like that, (where you have limited space) it almost seems like it would be a good idea to build what you need. Like maybe build benches out of 2x4's trimmed with bamboo and have it wrap around the building. That way it an maximize seating and not take up too much space. Find some outdoor cushions to lay on top. You could sit on it, rest drinks on it like a table.. and also set tikis on it. It'll look custom plus they will be easily removable if you move. You could also hang wall mount items like tiki masks from the eaves... it will look like they are attached to the building. If you are worried about the things swinging around in the wind, just attach wire/rope/etc to the bottom of the objects and then attach the other end of the rope to the benches. (does that make sense?) I'm saying all of this because I was considering doing something similar (on a much smaller scale) where I live.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-23 1:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-23 13:09, Tiki Shaker wrote:
With a place like that, (where you have limited space) it almost seems like it would be a good idea to build what you need. Like maybe build benches out of 2x4's trimmed with bamboo and have it wrap around the building. That way it an maximize seating and not take up too much space. Find some outdoor cushions to lay on top. You could sit on it, rest drinks on it like a table.. and also set tikis on it. It'll look custom plus they will be easily removable if you move. You could also hang wall mount items like tiki masks from the eaves... it will look like they are attached to the building. If you are worried about the things swinging around in the wind, just attach wire/rope/etc to the bottom of the objects and then attach the other end of the rope to the benches. (does that make sense?) I'm saying all of this because I was considering doing something similar (on a much smaller scale) where I live.

Thanx Tiki Shaker...I DID buy a few bamboo benches...those simple ones that are cheap. I have, in the past, built very 60's modern looking benches from 2x4's and 2x2's, but didn't feel like building that much stuff this time....who, knows, I may still do this at some point.

I plan to hang stuff from the eaves too, but I'm hesitant to attach anything to the house directly...my landlord is an 86 yr old woman who lives 2 houses away, so I have to be mindful of that. I DID, have that gate built at the top of the stairs so my dogs can hang out on the lanai and not escape as they like to do), but it bolts right onto the existing fence.

Right now, the first step is painting the gate (it's drying as we speak, and then attach flat, split bamboo fencing to all of the chain link fencing, and trim it out with split bamboo rounds, torch them a bit and maybe clear coat them for weather durability.

That's phase one.

The other thing I'm debating is whether or not to put my awesome vintage Preway fireplace out there...I'm hesitant because of the more damp climate here down by the beach. In Burbank, I had it outside and no problem, but I don't want to ruin it, and get it all rusty. Also, I'v e never burned anything in there, but the previous owner had it outside and did.
Right now, it's in the bedroom.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 1:50 pm   Permalink

Nice space Jim, mega potential for a little oasis in the sky.

If you ever need anything - help, a painting, some materials - whatever I can do - just give me a shout will ya?

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-23 6:17 pm   Permalink

Great potential. I love your description of the sound of the waves in the distance and the smell of the sea air...that is enough to prompt a cocktail from the BB bar.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 8:01 pm   Permalink

i concour!!! great space there caint wait to see it dun up!! cheerz!!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kitty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 8:15 pm   Permalink

Cool building, Jim! LOVE that gravel roof. As much as it would look incredible out there, I personally would *not* put your gorgeous fireplace outside. We live very near the ocean too, and have for the last several years (in our apartment before our house). I had so many items deteriorate due to the damp salt air, and no amount of protective measures seemed to keep them from harm. It would be such a shame to have that happen to your fireplace. Plus, it looks uber-swanky inside, and you can always get creative with other options for fire on the patio. Maybe one of those affordable, dish-type pits, but with some sort of lava rock surround? It's hard to tell from the pics if you have enough clearance over the main patio to do something like that or not, but clearly the fence is perfect for affixing tiki-torches to!

Excited to see it take shape.....

View Profile of Tiki Kitty Send a personal message to Tiki Kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-23 8:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-23 20:15, Tiki Kitty wrote:
Cool building, Jim! LOVE that gravel roof. As much as it would look incredible out there, I personally would *not* put your gorgeous fireplace outside. We live very near the ocean too, and have for the last several years (in our apartment before our house). I had so many items deteriorate due to the damp salt air, and no amount of protective measures seemed to keep them from harm. It would be such a shame to have that happen to your fireplace. Plus, it looks uber-swanky inside, and you can always get creative with other options for fire on the patio. Maybe one of those affordable, dish-type pits, but with some sort of lava rock surround? It's hard to tell from the pics if you have enough clearance over the main patio to do something like that or not, but clearly the fence is perfect for affixing tiki-torches to!

Excited to see it take shape.....

Thanx for confirming what I was afraid of...Yea I think I'll keep it inside...it has an electric log with spinning tinsel inside it now, and looks great. I have nothing above me on the patio, so maybe a small chiminea might work. Thanx for the tip.

Yea, how about that tar and gravel roof....you can't see it from the pics, but the place has a really cool MCM design. I wish they'd painted the whole building dark brown like the garage...that pastel yellow is sooo lame. I'll post some pics of the insed of the house soon too...it's cool inside too.

tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-23 9:08 pm   Permalink

OK....got started today.

Phase 1, get some bamboo fencing up to cover the chain link stuff.

First, had to paint the gate....
eventually this will be covered in carved wood, pecky cedar or maybe bamboo, and will adorn some sort of cool tiki mask.

Next, cut the fencing to size....this was tricky. The guy told me to wrap the roll in shipping cellophane wrap to keep it together.
I didn't do it tight enough, and ended up with some splitting....not too bad, but annoying enough to get it right next time...

Next...start attaching it to the fence...
I used basic hardware store twine....worked pretty well...again, a bit tricky at first until I got the hang of how to do it the right way.

....then, cut off the extra ends

add the bambo benches into the picture...

I'm not sure where they'll end up, but for now, there they are....

Barrel view....

Anyway, not bad for a days work....Shoot, I know Ben would have had this place halfway to Forbidden Island in the time I did this, but, I'm an amateur hack.

Next, I'll be trimming the fencing out with split bamboo rounds, and more.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2010-02-23 21:09 ]

tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 10:15 pm   Permalink

Hey Jim!

looks like you're off to a great start!

Like TIkiG said, just give a shout if you need somebody to pitch in a hand, I'm ready, willing and able!

Maybe even a weekend afternoon of tikifying transformation... I'm sure your legion of Tikiyaki fans would jump at the chance to help out such a worthy cause! (just promise them lots of Jungle Jetsetter Cocktails as their reward for a hard day's work!)

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-23 10:23 pm   Permalink

Thanx guys, I may take you up on that !

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 10:56 pm   Permalink

What an improvement already. A little bit of plant life and a few tikis and it it'll be time to christen it with a Mai Tai.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 4:23 pm   Permalink

Jim i would like to volunteer to be the guy yelling on the bull horn "hurry up gang we need to work faster" "Move that bus" and more idiotic statements at decibels unessasary. But i do have one tip/ suggestion. The one key element that im sure your going to incorporate are tiki torches, and i think a cool way to do it on your lanai is by getting some deep buckets (or i used those aluminum trash cans that have sports teams on them then wrapped tapa around the can) fill them with sand and you can stick the torches in them which makes them stable and portable at the same time. You can slide the bucket/can across the deck and create a new layout each night. But the tiki torches are super essential to any night time ambiance. Look forward to watching it come together!

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation