FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-21 8:56 pm   Permalink

NIce job Jim! that gate turned out looking real good. Maybe put a mask or something in the middle of it?

Your balcony/porch is looking really good. You know how to make it "authentic"

I'm with everyone else, if you need a hand with anything - don't hesitate to give a shout. I'm just around PV from you!

Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

PS - that barrel shelf is AWESOME

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-21 10:53 pm   Permalink

Thanx Jim !
High praise coming from you and all. I have a few different masks for the gate, and I'm going to make a sign for it too.
I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I spent today mounting a 5 ft Bosko Moai mask to a base so it could stand up. I guess tikifying your place is a project by project basis.....ie: dont try to so too much in one day. It's teaching me patience. I AM trying to keep it authentic and "vintage" looking....like it's been there a long time.

Yea...you're close by, I think you need to stop by. I can always use some help especially in the "how-to" dept.

Dr Z was over today, and has been giving me some good ideas.

Let me know what a good day is for you.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-25 8:56 pm   Permalink

Another small project finished.

A sign for the gate. I couldn't decide whether to put KAPU (hawaiian for "forbidden" - basically "stay the f*ck out!") or ALOHA on the gate, so as per Bosko's suggestion, do one on each side, depending on my mood, I can flip it around. Why didn't I think of that ?

Kirby helped me with the "KAPU" side, then after I got schooled, did the the Aloha side on my own. Sign making is fun !
Here ya go.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 9:29 pm   Permalink

Gotta comment on the awesome Preway. That style is the most common Preway, and as far as I know the only really funky Preway, but it's most common in red, and slightly less so in pale orange. White, yellow, turquoise and your green are rarer colors, I have seen only one of each ever.

If you're concerned about weather, and I would be if you're near the ocean, you could put it on rollers. Tilt it flat on its back on some towels to protect the porcelain finish, and cut a board to fit the same size and shape as the bottom. Screw pieces of angle bracket to the underside so they stick up around the sides, holding the base in place when set on top, and attach some very small swivel wheels to the bottom. Then just wheel it inside when you're not using it.

If you DO want to burn in it, here's what ya gotta do. First, make sure it has a floor inside that isn't just metal. If all it has is metal, contact Malm Fireplaces, the only remaining manufacturer of these things, and buy a few bags of their refractory, a concrete-like firebrick powder you'll mix up, then pour in to form a firebox floor. If yours has no well in the floor below the front lip, it may be okay without the refractory...but the stuff should be used if you can, as it'll protect the metal floor from warping. The standard Preway model is similar in format to Malm's current Zircon model, and you might measure it (end-to-end and front-to-back) to tell them so they can guess at how much refractory you'll need. Once you've got a refractory floor, then go to the hardware store and grab a grate. Never burn right on the refractory. You'll also want a chimney cap with a screen, so sparks don't fly out.

Love your patio so far. Lookin' good. You can probably buy plastic hooks used to string Christmas lights along a gutter, and hang stuff from the gutter that way. You also might be able to get stick-on hooks so you can decorate the walls.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-25 10:30 pm   Permalink

Wow...torch guy, so much info. Glad to know that my Preway is such a rare color. The amount of work to use it makes me just wanna keep it inside with it's current electric, decorative log in there. Funny, I DID consider putting on a rolling platform for using it outside , then bringing it in.

re: hooks Do you think the stick on hooks would hold to that rough stucco-like stuff ?

Someone told me about the rain gutter hooks....looks like I need to invest in some.

Thanx for all the info !

Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-26 1:24 pm   Permalink

Lookin' good, Jim! This keeps getting better & better with each new update.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-28 10:51 am   Permalink

Each time I check this thread something new - handmade - has been posted. Jim, your project is manifesting one step at a time so its cool to watch this come together with each log on. Thanks again for sharing with us

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-05 5:56 pm   Permalink

So, I've been whittling away at this.
Had the wall of the house covered with plywood with burlap over it and fishnet. A Bosko mask and tiki torches coming out from the wall, but my landlord told me to take it down, because it was "too much....It stuck out alot and you could see it from 4 or 5 houses away....I think the bosko mask freaked her out.

Here's what I had to remove....

So, I had to start in a different direction....

I decided to get a bunch of plants and start to make the area look more tropical, and hopefully get a green screen developing up there.
I'll have to keep the tikis and polypop decor more concealed from the street. The plants look great tho'.
I think once I get the wall of the house screened out by tropicals, I'll be able to sneak some stuff back in there.
I'll probably get some patio lights and get some lighting going on there for now.

Oh, the joy of renting.

So anyway, I got a few giant Bird of Paradise plants, some golden bamboo, and some other palm type plants, and I'm working more on the "Jungle" part of the "jungle Jetsetter sky lounge" for the moment. I'll post some pics soon, as things get a little more developed.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-06 9:49 pm   Permalink

Bummer Jim!

I can't believe you have to tear that down, it looks great. Look forward to seeing the next incarnation.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-13 7:52 pm   Permalink

OK, a few pics of recent updates to the sky lounge. Starting to "jungle-ize" it with tropical plants, and of course, more tikis....

A few Giant Birds of Paradise, golden goddess bamboo, and some other palm type plants.
The giant Bosko has a red rope light in the box covered with black lava rocks, for a glowing hot lava effect at night. I'll post pics of that eventually.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 8:35 pm   Permalink

add a lil' here and a lil' there so your landlady doesn't freak... catch my drift?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
www.myspace.com/bambooben

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2010-04-13 20:36 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-13 8:52 pm   Permalink

Lookin' sweet! Too bad the landlady doesn't get it, but like Ben said- just bring it to a boil real slow...

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-13 9:52 pm   Permalink

Yea...that's the plan, stan. I need to sreen it out from the street with more and taller plants....this way no one can see what's goin on up there from the street.

Shoulda' done that first.

Ben, I'll be needing an outdoor-worthy bar with palapa roof too sometime soon !

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-14 09:10 am   Permalink

Jim, It's coming along beautifully! Soon it will be a private place of relaxation and chillation. Didn't you end up with a large carved Witco or Bosko fountain a while back?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-14 10:20 am   Permalink

Golden Goddess bamboo! Awesome!

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation