FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-24 10:22 pm   Permalink

Update :

Due to the crazy winds here in South Redondo, and my landlord not really "getting" the tiki thing, I've decided to relocate the Jungle Jetsetter Sky Lounge inside to my dining room area. It's a good size...about 120-130 sq ft, with a high, vaulted ceiling.

The outdoor lounge will remain as is, with whatever plants I can keep alive, and whatever tikis I still want to keep outside. We'll still bbq and chill out on the deck, but the wind and chilly weather make it not ideal for investing that much work into.

Anyway, I'll post some pics when I have more done.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 10:26 pm   Permalink

too hot in the valley

too cold at the beach.

no worries. all good.

the water here is 70.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-24 10:46 pm   Permalink

I wish I lived there, I love the chilly wind in the summer

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-25 07:18 am   Permalink

I do look forward to the cooler temps in the summer, big time.....it's mostly the wind that's a major deterrent from adding anything else out there...that, and there's no ceiling to hang stuff from

All good tho'...I still love the deck and plan to use it lots....now for the inside.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2010-06-25 07:18 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-25 07:48 am   Permalink

Nice work! Sorry to hear you had to ramp it back a bit, but even owning your own place is no guarantee that you can do whatever you want as I've discovered (HOA!) Love your Bosko pieces, I've got a lot of Bosko's handiwork around my pool. Bosko and Truus are fantastic to work with!

On those flickering tiki lights, I've got several around the pool and one of the batteries went dead in one of them. I pulled it apart to replace it and the original batteries are only 600 mah. I replaced them with 2500 mah batteries and now that torch burns brighter than the others and runs all night long versus 4 or 5 hours for the others. Sweet! I'm going to replace the batt's in the others as well.

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-25 08:36 am   Permalink

i did that to. mine started burning out at about a year. I replaced them with the newer style and mine now light up alot of the fence in the yard. I left them out all last winter and they are still going strong.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-01 11:47 am   Permalink

My new bar.

Me and Kirby started working on this every Wednesday afternoon about 3 months ago. We drew inspiration from this Witco piece from Tiki Modern page 260, from the Hawaiian Inn in Florida, and classic Witco Wall hangings.

The subject matters of the carvings are personal...Bongos, a guitar, fish and waves (I'm a pisces) , as well as some modern/abstract forms and of course, tikis and tapa designs.

I love mid century modern, especially it's take on primitive form, so there ya go. We put spears on each side to give it that jungle feel.
We STILL may paint some of the carvings, like in the above photo, but for now it is what it is.

Kirby did most of the hard stuff, and provided the shelf unit that served as the frame. I was the torch guy, burning everything....A Tiki arson, if you will.

For the bar top, we tried painting it red (not my idea !) and it didn't look right, so, I had to strip the paint, which of course took off some of the top layer of the plywood, and then opted for burning and then applying several coats of amber shellac, a la Bamboo Ben. Due the paint stripping, the top has an uneven surface, which gives it a nice aged, nautical kind of feel....so it actually worked out ok.

The Color scheme goes perfect with my chairs

This was alot of fun, and I have to thank Kirby for doing this project with me and lending me his talent, tools, materials and workspace.
Now if I could just get him down here to have a drink from it

Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-01 3:01 pm   Permalink

It's awesome!
Looks like the bungees held.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-10-01 3:07 pm   Permalink

Really Really Nice!

I love it!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-01 3:30 pm   Permalink

Terrific! The orange background really makes it pop. If you could somehow get that orange to light up in a dark bar...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-01 4:00 pm   Permalink

Murph...Actually, they didn't and it started to fall on the feeway...I had to lay it down flat.

Gator - I'm going to put a ropelight under the top edge to help with making that orange pop in the dark.

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-01 4:01 pm   Permalink

Hey I am a Pisces too...I want that bar!

Kirby is the shiznit!

Really like the whole concept -- great stuff!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-01 4:05 pm   Permalink

Very cool Jim. Love the personal touches, that and the fact that you made it with your own two hands gives it real meaning as well as good looks.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-01 4:11 pm   Permalink

That is frickin' awesome!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-01 4:24 pm   Permalink

I love the top, very cool! Hell, I love the whole thing.

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation