FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars plants ???
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
plants ???
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-23 9:17 pm   Permalink

OK, so, plants are a huge part of the tiki bar aesthetic...

I have an outdoor space, and want to get some tropicals going....leafy plams....something to create a real tropical feel and add a little privacy.

A few things...
1. They need to be potted
2. My area doesn't get full sunlight all day
3. Climate : Socal, coastal...close to the baech, so it doesn't get too hot here, and we get some air moisture from the ocean, tho I'm about 1/2 mile away.

What do you green thumbs recommend ? I'm a notorious plant killer, so I'd like to get it right this time.

Here's my home space....

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35623&forum=20&10

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 9:40 pm   Permalink

I know what kind of plants that you could have,
and they could make you some extra money when business is slow.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-23 9:47 pm   Permalink

tobacco ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 9:48 pm   Permalink

Wacky Tabacky.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 10:34 pm   Permalink

Banana trees, giant bird of paradise, elephant ear (taro), Phoenix roebellini(careful has some mean darts), Kentia palm

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 08:51 am   Permalink

Im sure I will get flak for this but there are some really nice looking fake plants being made these days.

You cant kill em.... and sometimes you can use them as fill with real plants.

A little pledge on a rag and those fake bird of paradise and palms shine right up....

Your guests cant easily break them or damage them (accidentally of course).

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 09:54 am   Permalink

I'll back ya, MM.

If your area really will not get much actual sunlight on the plant, a quality floral stem added to live foliage is pretty much the only way you'll achieve a pop of color. The "no direct sun" becomes and asset, since it won't fade-out the faux flora.

If you decide on Banana, I just pulled a keiki off our Blue Java (which gave us wonderful & tasty little bananas this year!).

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 11:07 am   Permalink

Bamboo, of course. But you'll need a big pot for some varieties. There are so many different varieties you'd best check with a nursery for the type that will work for you.

Palms obviously do well in So Cal, I'm constantly pulling out little Mexican fan palms that sprout up both in the back and front yards because of many neighbors who have towering ones at their homes.

Someone already mentioned birds of paradise -- we have both these (regular and giant) and jade plant in our front yard. They take almost no water and grow like weeds. Both African, I believe, but certainly can help provide a tropical look. I think giant birds of paradise look a lot like banana palms, and are not as sensitive to cold weather.

Ginger also grows well. Just buy a root at the grocery store and plant it.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe's Pop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 1:18 pm   Permalink

Hey Jim-

Considering the specs that you mentioned, I would surely second that banana plant recommendation. My vote would be for the ornamental/non-fruit bearing variety, seeing the sun restrictions you have. They might fare better than the alternate choice.

A few small windmilll palms wouldn't put you back too much and they're fairly hard to kill. The same goes for some root starts that you'd find at a "Hawaiian" themed store - some taro root, plumeria- stuff that you could easily pot, starting indoors and gradually bring outside.

Best of Luck~!

-Andy

View Profile of Tiki Joe's Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Joe's Pop  Goto the website of Tiki Joe's Pop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-24 1:39 pm   Permalink

I know a thng or two about palms.

Kentia palm (Howea Forsterina) is a hands down favorite. Kentia palm will give you the minicoconut palm look. Kentias are tough. Kentia palm will flourish in the shade in a pot. If exposed to full sun would do better in the ground. Dont overwater especially in the winter. Overwatering palm tree is probably more common than under watering. They rot and turn yellow.

Kentias will do well near the coast in the ground full sun. Inland they will need shade.

I dont understand why there arent more of these grown in Califonia.

Miracle grow or the little time delay fertilizers (osmocote or dynamite) per the instructions. Palms are light feeders so dont overdo it.

Coconut palms predictably die at 45 degrees. Home depot used to sell coconuts. They may still do. If you can keep it warm in the winter go for it. Besides Home depot has the dead plant turn in program. Just go get another free.

google junglemusic.com for about 200 hundred other palms that grow here. Cycads are cool too btw.

View Profile of gonzo Send a personal message to gonzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-24 1:50 pm   Permalink

Most plants from the nursery are native to places that get more rain in summer and less in the winter. Almost all plants would do better here if you could keep them from overwatering from the cold winter rains we have here. Some rain gutters or a sheet of corrugated fiberglass overhead maybe a good idea in the winter to keep the cold rain from overwatering. Its the cold and wet combo that kills a lot of plants here in pots.

When you pot palms use "cactus mix" from the store with plenty of broken shards or pea gravel in the bottom to promote good drainage.

Pindo Palm (Butia capitata) is another good tough palm as is Guadalupe (Brahea edulis). Both of these are tougher than the kentia but the Brahea might grow a little too wide for your walkway. The Butia would fit well.

View Profile of gonzo Send a personal message to gonzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 9:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-24 08:51, Monkeyman wrote:
Im sure I will get flak for this but there are some really nice looking fake plants being made these days.

You cant kill em.... and sometimes you can use them as fill with real plants.

A little pledge on a rag and those fake bird of paradise and palms shine right up....

Your guests cant easily break them or damage them (accidentally of course).

Tery,

for your sitch..

Monkey has it.

maybe a few potted frens hangin here and thre too..

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jetson
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 11:39 pm   Permalink

Banana trees are great, but you can only keep them potted for so long before they shoot up and out. Maybe some hibiscus and some small palms that can survive in a pot?

View Profile of Jetson Send a personal message to Jetson  Email Jetson Goto the website of Jetson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-25 08:50 am   Permalink

Taro is great. I have some runners of a Black Taro. I gave a whole bunch to Forbidden Island for their back patio area. They've lived in pots w/ no hassels and done well.

Here's a pic of the Mama Plants

[ This Message was edited by: Haole'akamai 2010-02-25 08:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Haole'akamai 2010-02-28 09:14 ]

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-25 4:36 pm   Permalink

Those taro look great...how long does it take for the runners to grow to a decent size ?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation