FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-05 07:21 am   Permalink

Tattoo- never seen it before
TraderT- nice one

Here she goes again
Wahine found this one
Little different version

Trader Vic's Hawaii
"Tiki Like" mug
I see many listed as Tiki Liki
This one says "Like" on the back

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-05 08:49 am   Permalink

Whoa!!!! What a great find Tom. Amazing mug, I love the glaze and the detail is fantastic. Often the Spurlin Cobra Fang mug can lack in detail but this one is fantastic. Curious what the story behind it is. I would imagine that they got a Spurlin mug and made their own version of it. Or... Spurlin copied this one.

Congrats Tom!

Quote:

On 2017-02-04 16:09, Trader Tom wrote:
Yet another mug from from Doc's Town & Country in Toronto, Canada:

This one is NOT pictured in their menu although it does list the Cobra's Fang cocktail.

I stumbled on it while looking for the Spurlin's Islander Cobra's Fang Mug, but found this one instead.

It looks a lot like the Spurlin mug.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-24 11:27 pm   Permalink

Here's a tiki bowl that got away from me but I'm sure it'll find a good home.

The first pic is a menu image from the very beginning of this thread.

The rest are from the auction that ended yesterday.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-03-05 08:03 am   Permalink

This 1960 Ren Clark Polynesian Village Fort Worth menu was posted on Big Kahuna's FB page. Are these real mugs? I'm not a collector but I haven't noticed anything like the Black Lady mug or the Cannibal Bowl set-up. Also, what's up with the "Rum or Beverage Locker" for $12 per year. From the menu descriptions it looks like you furnished you own liquor? They suggest a liquor for each drink but I guess you could mix it with whatever you wanted?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-05 10:20 am   Permalink

@ Trader Tom... Yes, I saw that bowl 2. Awesome. The Beauce pottery stuff is all a bit of an oddity to me. Seems to be a copy of a Spurlin bowl (like the Beauce Vicious Virgin Bowl).

And yes, most of the Ren Clark mugs on the menu have all been well documented and found for the most part. With the exception of a few like the Cannibal Bowl.

Personally, found the Tiki Bowl from Johnny Quong's The Hawaiian:

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-07 2:54 pm   Permalink

Nice Johnny Quong's bowl!

Yeah, the Beauce stuff is weird. I'm like 99% that the arm in air version of the Vicious Virgin Bowl is Beauce, but I'd still like to see the bottom of one and see those Beauce numbers to verify. They numbered everything.

Today, we're used to people paying homage to older classic designs that have stood the test of time, but seems like the Canadians were on a faster time table and just duplicated what they liked based on what was hot at that moment in the US.

It's cool that strange old stuff keeps popping up, though. Keeps it interesting!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-18 12:50 pm   Permalink

Lucky find of the Kalua Room Tiki mug!!!

For the Tiki Tiki

Super rare for sure. Not marked but matches the other 2 I have seen.

Not only is it rare, but an important one seeing how it is (most likely) theeee first tiki mug - circa 1954:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=44394&forum=5&vpost=730336

Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-26 5:47 pm   Permalink

A cool Volcano Mug from the Kahala Hilton! Quite large with a straw hole.

A mug I have never seen before nor could find mentioned in a menu. No makers mark on the bottom.

The Kahala Hilt also has that super cool Tiki bowl from Terra Ceramics which is pictured in one of their menus.

(not mine FYI)

HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-27 4:46 pm   Permalink

That volcano mug is lovely.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-04 3:26 pm   Permalink

Here's a little Adele Davis, Sunset Shore Studio (SSS) beauty I found at an estate sale this weekend.
I now LOVE that rough-hewn yumminess of the homemade goodies from Hawaii!
I feel like I've seen a pic, but I can't find one.
Info, anyone? Did this drum appear elsewhere (not for a convention), as my brain keeps trying to tell me?
(And will any of you be at Tiki Oasis next week? I'm singing early Friday evening with Skip Heller; find me!)

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini 2017-08-06 12:50 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-04 10:50 pm   Permalink

I really like that drum design.

Nice find!

I've seen a blue version as well. It may still be for sale at the antique mall in Long Beach where I first saw it. Forget the name of the place but it's the big one with a basement and multiple rooms.

They had a pretty big sticker price on it as I recall.

Adele is one of those designers I feel like we've only scratched the surface on.

She was too talented not to have made more pieces over the years than what I've seen so far.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-05 09:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-08-04 22:50, Trader Tom wrote:

Adele is one of those designers I feel like we've only scratched the surface on.

She was too talented not to have made more pieces over the years than what I've seen so far.

Yep. New ones keep popping up. House of KU has one with Maori designs that I thought was wicked.

At least since Waikiki Tiki: Art, History, and Photographs came out, we can put a name on them.
I did see that drum pop up on eBay once, but the seller wanted like $24 bucks for one with a chip, (And like 12 shipping.) so I passed.

Btw, nice Kahala volcano. Wish I'd had that when I was working on the book! I do own the Terra Ceramics kahala bowl.

Here is the Daga drum that they sold at Tavanas revue at the Hawaiian Hut.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2017-08-05 09:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2017-08-05 09:21 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-07 12:59 pm   Permalink

The Hawaiian Eye bowl by Terra Ceramics depicted on the Hilton Hawaiian Village menu I scored today .It was relisted three times on flea bay and no one grabbed it because it didn't have the key word tiki in the description.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation