FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Architourist

Posted: 14 days ago; 6:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-12-04 20:46, Tattoo wrote:
Excellent eye Cavemoai!!! Nice to have found an actual Tiki bar/menu connection for that mug. Interesting that Vermonde apparently made pieces for Don the Beachcomber and the Tonga Lei. So, is the one at the Tiki Ti from the Tonga Lei? And if so, is there some connection between Ray Buhen and the Tonga Lei? Also, looking at that menu I feel that I have seen that fog cutter mug somewhere...

Anyhow, I recently found this odd mug from Doc's Town & Country in Toronto, Canada:

An obvious "tribute" to the Trader Vic's Fog Cutter mug. Okay, after some research there is some oddities to this mug. It is obviously from "Doc's Place Town & Country"

Whose only other mug I have found is an all ceramic copy of Trader Vic's Voodoo Grog glass:

There's a pattern here. But here's the curve ball, Doc's Place is located in Toronto, Canada. However, the bottom of the Doc's Place Fog Cutter mug is marked Westminster Hotel:

And guess what, The Westminster Hotel in British Columbia also had a Tiki Bar - the Tapa Room.

So, is this Doc's Place Fog Cutter mug from the Tapa Room or Doc's Place??? What is the connection between these two places that are so far far apart???

Too many questions, too little rum...

[ This Message was edited by: tattoo 2014-12-05 10:45 ]

Tattoo, I can help you…

Just picked up this mug outside of Toronto at a Thrift store:

And, since I'm a Toronto guy who only knows of the Trader Vic's that used to be here (in a downtown hotel) and the Bali Hai Room at the Ports of Call (which was in mid-town), I'm always on the hunt to learn if this city had any more tiki bars, since, sadly, it has exactly ZERO right now. So, I can confirm for you that there was a Westminster Hotel in Toronto:

And there was a "Town and Country" room inside of it:

But, a-ha! The Westminster was listed to be at 240 Jarvis St. (now demolished), and, as you can see from the matchbook, which shows a low-rise building, the Town and Country is at "Mutual and Gould"…if you check a Google map of Toronto, you'll see it all works out, geographically, as that intersection is right behind the old hotel. So, old 1920s hotel gets a new low-rise building in the 1950s, and puts in a restaurant. MY GUESS is that Doc's Place was a little room within the Town & Country….but so far no pictures of that have come up for me. Only this one of the dining room:

The other thing to note is that this would have been about a 7 minute walk from Maple Leaf Gardens (where the Toronto Maple Leafs used to play), so it was a hopping neighbourhood at one time.

BTW, I am an architecture journalist, so it's in my nature to sleuth these things out.

Cheers,

Architourist

PS: my mug didn't say "Westminster Hotel" on the bottom, only Japan, so your mug helped solve the mystery!

[ This Message was edited by: Architourist 2015-07-19 18:53 ]

View Profile of Architourist Send a personal message to Architourist      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 06:21 am   Permalink

Thanks Architourist for all the research and making sense of it all.

And welcome to TC. Input like yours is always very much appreciated.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Architourist

Posted: 13 days ago; 10:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-20 06:21, Tattoo wrote:
Thanks Architourist for all the research and making sense of it all.

And welcome to TC. Input like yours is always very much appreciated.

Thanks for the welcome! I have been a tikiphile since founding the MTAS--Montreal Tiki Appreciation Society--with John T. around 1998 or thereabouts, and, actually, he pointed out to me that a later article in our newsletter, the Mai Tai, mentioned Doc's...shows you how much I pay attention:

http://www.maitaionline.com/mike-scott.html

View Profile of Architourist Send a personal message to Architourist      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 11:45 am   Permalink

hi Architourist, nice to see you here! $$$$$$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 2:33 pm   Permalink

Okay Tikiphiles... here's a real Crypto Mug. From the "Hawaiian Room" in Omaha, we have the Tarantula Bowl:

At first I couldn't quite understand why a Tarantula Bowl since it's not Tiki at all. I thought that it should be a Scorpion bowl at which point it all made sense. Tarantula's and Scorpions are both arachnids! It is the Hawaiian rooms clever, albeit odd, interpretation of the Scorpion Bowl. A bit of a stretch maybe but would love to see one in person.

Has anyone seen one? Does this even exist?

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 7:11 pm   Permalink

Good job identifying a crypto mug. Could it be a standard scorpion bowl with fake spiders attached? I'd tend to think that would be too corny for a swanky place back in the day. I'll hold out hope for a tarantula bowl from Nebraska to show up.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation