FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
HotelCharlieEcho
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-20 2:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-05 08:03, MadDogMike wrote:
This 1960 Ren Clark Polynesian Village Fort Worth menu was posted on Big Kahuna's FB page. Are these real mugs? I'm not a collector but I haven't noticed anything like the Black Lady mug or the Cannibal Bowl set-up. Also, what's up with the "Rum or Beverage Locker" for $12 per year. From the menu descriptions it looks like you furnished you own liquor? They suggest a liquor for each drink but I guess you could mix it with whatever you wanted?

Shoutout to Tattoo for his recent thread here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=52822&forum=5&vpost=786058 on the possible connections between the Polynesian Village, Fort Worth, and the Mexico Mauna Loa, which included this photograph of the Cannibal Bowl setup (the "Festin Salvaje" at the Mauna Loa).

Ordinary glassware (e.g., the goblet, snifter, lo-ball, etc.) aside, are there any mugs on this menu remaining unaccounted for?

View Profile of HotelCharlieEcho Send a personal message to HotelCharlieEcho  Email HotelCharlieEcho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 1:39 pm   Permalink

Crypto Mug?

Well, not really. It is the Waikiki Trader Vic's Tiki Liki. Fair to call it a Crypto Version though since you can actually tell what it is.

Somehow this mug became this :-0

The rougher less detailed version here made by Polynesian Pottery. I am guessing this more detailed version (i.e. earlier version) was made by someone else. Unlike the Polynesian Pottery bottom, the more detailed version mug has a slight concave bottom leaving an unglazed white ring. Which I usually associate with more professional manufacturers.

The flat glazed bottom is usually a tell tale sign of a hobbyist mug. I'm not a potter but I am sure there is a reason between the 2 different bottoms of mugs. If someone could illuminate me it would be much appreciated It would seem that Polynesian Pottery created a mold from this more refined version creating a much less detailed copy of it. Speculation I know....

On Ooga Mooga I did find another version that matches the more detailed one. This one form LOL Tiki. Again, the more concave bottom with the white unglazed ring.

Can anyone speculate who might have made this other version?

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 8:14 pm   Permalink

Tattoo- good one
Never seen that color

Picked up 3 more TV Hawaii/Waikiki mugs

Female Tonga

Tonga

Octopus

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 8:45 pm   Permalink

Tattoo, you need to make an extra mold piece in order to create a concave bottom. Having an extra piece does increase the risk of the mold leaking but if you know what you're doing that really shouldn't be an issue. The main reason not to make one is the extra labor involved.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation