FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-08 1:00 pm   Permalink

I say no it's not the same TV mug.
The one in the photo has a moon above the surf girl.
And it's not just a painted moon, IE it was in the mold.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-08 1:34 pm   Permalink

It really looks close. The coloring of the sky and general tones are similar to the other bowls in the picture as seen in earlier pics.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 3:02 pm   Permalink

There are some Shell Bowl vessels discussed and pictured back on page 15 of this thread and it reminded me of the one I have made specifically for The Islanders Restaurant (Thread here: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=27054&forum=2&hilite=islanders ).
Dustycajun thought this one should go over here as well so here it is.

Here's the custom name in raised letters:

Very cool to see one actually named to a restaurant. This one is also quite large and is quite fragile. I am surprised it has survived this long.

I know Leilani Lanes which was once in Seattle, Washington, also used this type of Shell vessel. I have not seen one marked with their name or in ceramic but they did have them made out of plastic. I am sure quite a few places had these versions as the ceramic ones would just be too costly and quite fragile.

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2011-06-11 16:51 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-11 11:28 am   Permalink

Best mug thread EVA!

Will winkle my way through in my own sweet time, savoring each new revelation...

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-06-12 11:04 pm   Permalink

John,

Congrats, you've found the real deal. The first TV's fogcutter mug has several features which distinguish it from later versions: it's thicker & heavier, the top rim is brown vs blue, it is shorter in height, the base design is flat vs concave.
It's a keeper!

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 1:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-22 17:19, Big Kahuna wrote:
My contribution to this thread:

Just saw this on the internet. Could it be? They are located in NY so the chances are good considering they were a giveaway from Hawaii Kai. Anyone know when these were given away? They are claiming they are vintage 50's, but I'm pretty sure they aren't that old. Might be able to get them down in price.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 2:24 pm   Permalink

I think you're onto something. I'd love to have one of those to go with my table card.
Where are they for sale?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 2:49 pm   Permalink

Just shot you a PM

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacklagoon

Posted: 2011-06-25 3:35 pm   Permalink

Funny that I posted the same things months ago and someone told me to stay out of the thread.

There is a creamer, salt and peppers, tea kettle and the bowls like the ones pictured above.

I too think they are the ones in that original ad, but when I received such a harsh welcome, I refused to post the other pics.

Glad to see that someone is taking the time to look at these again.

Paul

View Profile of blacklagoon Send a personal message to blacklagoon  Email blacklagoon Goto the website of blacklagoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-25 4:06 pm   Permalink

Isn't it possible that the mugs were created by the same people that did the other items you mentioned? If the restaurant wanted a promotional item, who better to turn to than a company that was already producing something. That would have saved money in designing the item. Any idea who created the other things you mentioned?

Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-27 08:09 am   Permalink

@Phillip Roberts--

The Halemaluna volcano is fantastic! I have something of a fetish for volcano mugs but can't ever find them. =( Where on earth did you find that one?

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-27 10:04 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2011-06-27 08:09, Iscah wrote:
@Phillip Roberts--

The Halemaluna volcano is fantastic! I have something of a fetish for volcano mugs but can't ever find them. =( Where on earth did you find that one?

I think it was at an estate sale here in the islands, about 7 years ago. Haven't seen one since. Terra Ceramics probably didn't do to many.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 10:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-08 12:35, Aquatic Safarinaut wrote:
Got this mug a few weeks ago at an antique fair in Oakland. The seller said that he thought it was a hobbyist mug. I wasn't sure but I really like the mug, great colors and seemed like an early version of or inspiration for the Tepco or Harvey's Hula Girl mug.

Then the other day, in a posting discussing a photo of the original Trader Vic Kava Bowl, DustyCajun Posted This picture from a 1944 Life Magazine article on Trader Vic...

The Fog Cutter Mug in the 1944 image struck me as very familiar...

Sure looks like it could be the same mug to me but I'd appreciate peer review...

I originally posted this in Tiki Finds but I think the scrutiny in the Crypto Thread might be a little more rigorous...
What does everyone think?

Cheers,
John

John, I told you where it was from in the other thread that you posted it in. It's most likely from Bert Rovere's The Hurricane. Which was a bar in San Francisco. It closed in the mid-50s due to Rovere passing away...

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacklagoon

Posted: 2011-07-05 12:33 pm   Permalink

Here is my Sea Goddess mug and I believe them to be one in the same. The company that makes these bowls/ashtrays also make teapots, salt and peppers and a creamer using the same sculpture with slight modifications. There is one of these at a local antique store for $10, saw it today and it reminded me to post a picture of mine.

Paul

Link to the S&P's in my collection:
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/my/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=2099&ind_mug_id=39684

[ This Message was edited by: blacklagoon 2011-07-05 12:40 ]

View Profile of blacklagoon Send a personal message to blacklagoon  Email blacklagoon Goto the website of blacklagoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 3:59 pm   Permalink

Sorry, I'm so late with this post. Thanks to a little birdie, I found myself in position to purchase the 2 aforementioned mugs/bowls that I'm convinced are the correct ones for the Hawaii Kai Sea Goddess. Blacklagoon, yours is obviously from the same company. Where did you find yours?

Yesterday, while vacationing on Cape Cod, I scored the matching S&Ps!

PS: littlegiles, I owe you one.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation