FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 5:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-14 15:59, Big Kahuna wrote:
Sorry, I'm so late with this post. Thanks to a little birdie, I found myself in position to purchase the 2 aforementioned mugs/bowls that I'm convinced are the correct ones for the Hawaii Kai Sea Goddess. Blacklagoon, yours is obviously from the same company. Where did you find yours?

Well guys, I don't know if these ARE the real thing, after all...

The only way to ascertain that these indeed ARE the Hawaii Kai drink vessels is to ask yourselves ONE question:

Do you now COMMAND THE WIND AND THE SEA, AND THE DESTINY OF THE ONE YOU DESIRE !?

I think that would be a pretty clear-cut test of authenticity!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 6:06 pm   Permalink

I still feel like the same schmuck! I'm guessing I not only need to possess the vessel, but also must consume 2 of the Sea Goddesses. I wish I had the recipe!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 7:36 pm   Permalink

THAT'S it! You need the magic potion! And then >poof!<, you will look like this:

...and then, it'll be YOUR MOVE!:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-15 5:00 pm   Permalink

BK...happy that you got them! Looks nice with the card. Now I'll need to start a hunt for the drink recipe.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-03 02:42 am   Permalink

Another Mayfair Beachcomber Mug was up on ebay recently, closing price $218.50

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-03 10:04 am   Permalink

My goodness, that puppy looks so bad!....but is so cool, cuz it's so rare. Only the Butlin's Beachcomber mug is worse.

Wait, you can't really see it that well...

There you go!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-09-03 10:14 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-03 10:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-03 10:04, bigbrotiki wrote:
My goodness, that puppy looks so bad!....but is so cool, cuz it's so rare.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-04 04:42 am   Permalink

They are so damn cheap and nasty looking, they can only have been made in Britain, but where and by whom?

Anybody know what that glaze would be, it looks like a matt staining?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-03-14 3:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-08 12:35, Aquatic Safarinaut wrote:
Got this mug a few weeks ago at an antique fair in Oakland. The seller said that he thought it was a hobbyist mug. I wasn't sure but I really like the mug, great colors and seemed like an early version of or inspiration for the Tepco or Harvey's Hula Girl mug.

Then the other day, in a posting discussing a photo of the original Trader Vic Kava Bowl, DustyCajun Posted This picture from a 1944 Life Magazine article on Trader Vic...

The Fog Cutter Mug in the 1944 image struck me as very familiar...

Sure looks like it could be the same mug to me but I'd appreciate peer review...

I originally posted this in Tiki Finds but I think the scrutiny in the Crypto Thread might be a little more rigorous...
What does everyone think?

Cheers,
John

Update: 1/14/12.............................................

When I previously posted this, there were varying opinions as to it's origin...I hated not knowing for sure so I decided to go directly to "mecca" and get a ruling on the provenance of the mug. So yesterday I stopped by the Trader Vic Warehouse in Richmond to show it to Keir and see if she had seen the mug in the TV archives. Her initial opinion was that it was not a Trader Vic Fogcutter but she decided to send some pictures to Peter Seely, the CEO and who happens to be The Trader's grandson.

I got this email this morning...

Hi John,
I spoke to Peter last night and the mug IS a Trader Vic's mug!!!!
He said they were made by someone local and each one was unique- there weren't that many made. That explains the variance on the pictured one as you and I thought it could. This was before Tepco was making our ceramics.
I guess it is possible that the one you have is a copy, but I really doubt it.
They were used in the original Oakland Restaurant.
Pretty exciting and very cool find!!!
Have a great day.

Kier

Kier Fullmer
Director of Operations
Trader Vic's Inc.

I woke up this morning to a roof leak...but this news certainly brightened up my day!

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-14 4:18 pm   Permalink

Aquatic,

That is great news on the confirmation, congratulations on that find and the verification.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut

Posted: 2012-03-14 4:31 pm   Permalink

Mahalo DC!

In a phone conversation, Kier said Peter told her it was produced by a friend of Vic's and that the time of production was "just after the Pearl Harbor attack"...

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-14 4:48 pm   Permalink

That mug was also used at Bert Rovere's "The Hurricane", which was a short lived SF Tiki Restaurant, which closed in the mid-50s soon after Bert's untimely end. I have seen two mugs that have the name very lightly etched into the side pre-glaze.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-17 4:52 pm   Permalink

Here is a bamboo mug I posted a while back from here... http://www.arch-ive.org/houstonaire

Not so Crypto but not often seen Daga mug

I have another with a different color lettering.
OMC horn mug from Tom Ham's (of Bali Hai fame) Lighthouse

7 ring clear glass

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Fixed Link - 2012-03-17 17:13 ]

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-17 5:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-17 16:52, bongofury wrote:
OMC horn mug from Tom Ham's (of Bali Hai fame) Lighthouse

I have three of these.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut

Posted: 2012-04-02 12:54 pm   Permalink

Found this Brown Sam's Seafood Spurlin Fogcutter at the Alameda Point Antique Fair yesterday...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation