FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-29 06:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-28 21:28, Ragbag Comics wrote:
I have a weird mug here that hasn't turned up yet on TC based on my searches &
reading this thread

Here you go, if you want to make a set:
http://www.myriahsbazaar.com/Brown-Square-Mouth-Tiki-Mug-p/s292.htm

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-29 10:20 am   Permalink

Bingo!

I had a sneaking suspicion this fella was some kind of knockoff, but the fact that anyone would use the OA Mahi Mahi mug as a base for making cheap-y party ware seemed kinda weird to me. Not only is it an exceptionally rare mug from an obscure location, but it's kind of a weird design to boot.

It really looks nearly identical to the Tiki Farm repop of the OA mug (sans the Mahi Mahi markings), but then... look at those recent Chinese knockoffs of Tiki Farm's Lil' Waha Nui, Mana Mana, Tikinator, etc that popped up on ebay awhile ago. The mug-mashers are always out there, lurking in the shadows....

Always surprises with this stuff.

Thanks for the tip(s)!

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-05 12:36 pm   Permalink

Okay, so I saw this Kava Bowl up on e-Bay, and then like so many wonderful things that pop up, the auction was quickly canceled, probably when somebody with deep pockets made an offer.

It appears to be an early piece without the scalloped top edge. Anybody seen one like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150908552280?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-14 11:56 am   Permalink

Tom:

I also saw that auction on ebay and obviously someone made an offer that couldn't be refused. It looks more like a vase than a drinking vessel to me and according to the description it's rather small at 9" in height. Who knows what it exactly is or how it was used. Couldn't find any pictures anywhere with that particular version in it.

On another note of "crypto mugs", the Zombie Village menu has a listing of two mugs. One for the Tabu which must have been the amazing Zombie Village mug but the other one listed is for the Bambooie which includes a "ceramic vase."

Then one day I came across a listing for two vases with the same Zombie Village mug markings. I'm pretty certain that these are the mugs for the Bambooie.

Unfortunately I was too late for the mugs and 5 years later I have never come across these ones since. So... are these the Bambooie mugs? Does anyone have these? Either way, another crypto mug to look for.

[ This Message was edited by: tattoo 2012-11-02 19:42 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-15 04:34 am   Permalink

Tattoo, good thoughts/details about that kava bowl/vase in question.

Also, very interesting details on the Zombie Village pieces.

Currently, I'm waiting with great anticipation to see who ends up with all the Los Angeles Island/Spurlin/Stella Bodey pieces that just went up on e-Bay. A whole collection of cryptos on the block! Some of them I've never seen or heard of before. Amazing.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-20 08:19 am   Permalink

Not sure who the seller is (dzlist) however he has a fine collection he is selling on ebay.Looks like he is a
reader or member of TC and gives props to DC .Cobra Fang and a viscious virgin . as well as some other
rare Spurlin mugs .The Islander - La Cienega .Who wouldn't want these in their collection !
I'll let you guess who is currently bidding on most of them !

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dzlist/m.html?item=261113718264&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccb9725f8&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2012-10-20 08:48 ]

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-20 09:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-28 23:24, Trader Tom wrote:
I could swear I saw one of those a year or so ago on e-Bay that had a heat decal on the back.

I found one like that a while back
Mister Tiki Mai Tai Lounge

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-20 10:03 am   Permalink

Yeah...according to O.A., these were the first Tiki mugs ever produced, in the late 50s, before Otagiri cornered the market.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-21 06:29 am   Permalink

The seller might have come upon these as one lot, the broken piece and the plastic lei/swizzle sticks suggest that.

What I wanna know is how Otagiri came to take over some of the designs - did they buy the molds or did they "borrow" them?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-21 10:44 am   Permalink

Amazing.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-24 08:10 am   Permalink

Surprised no one copied more of these photos and stuck them here.

I hope whoever sold of their rare Islander mugs was happy with the prices they fetched. Also whoever purchased them I hope I get to see this Vicious Virgin bowl in person sometime...its amazing!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-24 10:22 am   Permalink

That is amazing.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-10-30 5:06 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2012-10-05 12:36, Trader Tom wrote:
Okay, so I saw this Kava Bowl up on e-Bay, and then like so many wonderful things that pop up, the auction was quickly canceled, probably when somebody with deep pockets made an offer.

It appears to be an early piece without the scalloped top edge. Anybody seen one like this?

The Trader Vic's Kava bowl is exceptional; I'd be willing to make a trade, in the owner's favor, for it.

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-30 5:29 pm   Permalink

You didn't get it? I was hoping that you did! It's a masterpiece.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-07 5:54 pm   Permalink

A minor crypto mug I guess. I feel it is fitting and I like keeping this thread alive! I found this Coconut Mug with this marking which looks like an "I" but as Philip Roberts pointed out, might be a T and a L combined. Which still doesn't help me figure out who the maker is.

BUT I have found where I have seen this marking before. Which is this Honolulu Trader Vic's Bowl.

And this Honolulu Trader Vic's mug:

So this is most likely the Honolulu Trader Vic's coconut mug from the same era. However, the famed Hawaii TV menu with the Polynesian Pottery mugs, doesn't feature the bowl, mug and also features a different coconut mug.

Which looks like a Coco Joe's piece

Neither the Honolulu Trader Vic's marked bowl, mug or the coconut mug are (obviously) from Polynesian Pottery and I wonder who the maker mark is for. And curious if they came after or before the Polynesian Pottery mugs.

The plane! The plane!

[ This Message was edited by: tattoo 2012-12-07 18:50 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation