FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-07 11:20 pm   Permalink

Tattoo, nice find on the coconut mug and research on the mark. The same post that Dustycajun showed that menu in also had this shot...

Doesn't that look like your coconut behind the pineapple mug? Across the table is the bowl that showed the same mark, and I'm digging that skull mug! Dusty's post stated that this shot was from the Trader Vic's Old Plantation restaurant on Ward Ave as the International Marketplace location was opening.
What year that was I don't know right now but I'll start searching (edit, apparently 1967). Also, is it possible the mark could be Kanji?

Aloha, tikicoma

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2012-12-08 00:15 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-12-08 09:55 am   Permalink

Aloha Tattoo,
I'm pretty sure that coconut mug is a LaTour Hawaii..Check out the picture of one with LaTour Hawaii spelled out.. It looks like the same signature.

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-08 12:29 pm   Permalink

Ron-Tiki beat me to it, but that would be my guess as well. The pineapple mug and Ku bowls by La Tour on Ooga-Mooga have their bottom signatures spelled out, so the stylized L & T brand on your coconut mug probably came before or after. I think the capital "H" in "Hawaii" looks similar too. The bar across the "H" is long and the two vertical lines bow inward the same way both in the print and cursive versions.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2012-12-08 1:12 pm   Permalink

Tom-
Did a search here on TC for Latour of hawaii and apparently The pagodas that Latour made were marked with the L& T signature as well as Latour of Hawaii??

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-09 12:02 am   Permalink

Well, with all the accumulated evidence, I think it's 99% certain that LaTour and the LT brand are the same.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-09 1:36 pm   Permalink

Wow! How cool is that. Thanks everyone for figuring all that out and illuminating a semi-major manufacturer. And now we have a way to identify a particular line of mugs and bowls from the Honolulu Trader Vic's. Gotta love Tiki Central!

Just have to figure out more about the actual company...

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-30 3:43 pm   Permalink

Is this the Outrigger Club Fog Cutter Crypto Mug seen earlier in this thread on page 4 that ron-tiki and TabooDan were discussing? I think it might be. There are differences between this one and the ones in the photos, but they look pretty similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330824061033?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm not selling it or bidding on it.

It's sat on my e-Bay watch list for a month but there are other things I want to spend my money on right now.

I'm trying to rein in my spending and not buy every cool mug I see, but I thought somebody else might be interested if it is, in fact, a crypto mug.

ron-tiki

Posted: 2013-02-01 10:40 am   Permalink

Mug is still available??? wow.. I thought it would have sold immediately...Not my mug or listing just saying...

[ This Message was edited by: ron-tiki 2013-02-03 16:23 ]

ron-tiki

Posted: 2013-02-01 10:41 am   Permalink

Hi Tom,
Yes this is the same mug...They're all a little different. made by hand... great eye and a great buy...pretty rare mug...
Ron

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 4:02 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

As you know, (or maybe not) my collecting interest in mugs is 2-fold. I only care if the ceramic is

a) Made in Hawaii or
b) Used in Hawaii...

The favorites of my small, but potent collection are the handmade mugs for the Trader Vic's Waikiki dating from 1967-1985ish... I've mentioned before that when the Spencecliff Corporation took over the restaurant,m they were not allowed to use the mugs in the mainland shops...

These UGLY, Rough and some what Primitive vessels are beautiful to me... They are also quite rare and even fewer have been found in Hawaii.

I think that part of the reason that I don't find many is that most seem to have been taken to the mainland as keepsakes. I also think that because they are SO different, that they seem like child's projects and thus are often passed over in favor of more (shall we say) traditional mugs...

It is a great (and infrequent) day when I can add an new example to my collection. As was today... I have neither seen this one before in any place or on the TV drink menu from Waikiki... WOWIE!

That's pretty wild!

The bottom of the mug reads "Trader Vic's Hawaii." And even more curiously "Mountain Top Studio..." The style is quite like the Adele Davis mugs marked 'SSS' (Sunset Shore Studio), the early owner of Polynesian Pottery before selling to the Cosina brothers (Daga)

Anyone got the MTS mark on theirs?

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 5:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-22 16:02, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

As you know, (or maybe not) my collecting interest in mugs is 2-fold. I only care if the ceramic is

a) Made in Hawaii or
b) Used in Hawaii...

Hey Phil. I've had this mug for few years. Never seen another surface. Wondering if you knew anything about it:

Says Pat's on the front. I assume Pat's at Punaluu?

Jeanne ceramics hawaii on the bottom

As well as Jeanne Molds with a date of either: 1999,1997,or 1977,

Thanks,
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-23 10:23 am   Permalink

Aloha Buzzy,

I think 1977 would be the better choice for the date... I haven't run into it before but have seen a pair of salt and pepper shakers with that Tiki on it. It's a wonderful mug... Great glaze...

I think your assessment of Pat's at Punaluu is probably right. That or it belonged to Pat. I did once see a milky white mug marked Pat's with a Maori design on it by Polynesian Pottery, but was out bid.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-24 07:39 am   Permalink

Buzzy. That face is a Coco Joe's tiki. One of them was just up on eBay recently and went for a lot, considering. I'm surprised to see it on a mug made in Hawaii when Coco Joe's was still an active company.

It's a great face, and Beachbumz uses that particular tiki beautifully on a bucket mug and a few others.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-24 08:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-24 07:39, Hale Tiki wrote:
Buzzy. That face is a Coco Joe's tiki. One of them was just up on eBay recently and went for a lot, considering. I'm surprised to see it on a mug made in Hawaii when Coco Joe's was still an active company.

It's a great face, and Beachbumz uses that particular tiki beautifully on a bucket mug and a few others.

Not from a Coco Joe's. It's actually from a Duncan mold. That piece's use is fairly common:

Coco Joe's:

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 03:39 am   Permalink

So Coco Joe's was using a Duncan mold?

Thanks for the info, Buzzy!

EDIT: What year is that catalog, by the way...?

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-03-25 03:46 ]

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation