FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-04 05:11 am   Permalink

I was lucky enough to find this early Trader Vic's Fogcutter mug yesterday. I love how tiny towns here in Michigan can still yield treasure. This mug is a bit different from the others posted in the thread. The wahine on the mug has brown hair not black as the others and the rim is blue not brown. All of the other details are spot on so we have another variant. The asking price was four dollars! Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2013-08-04 05:13 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-04 12:41 pm   Permalink

Uncle Trav, that is fantastic. A great and rare mug with a great history. And a great find for being in Michigan! I really love the look and roughness of it. It feels very vibrant.

Congrats!

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-06 06:33 am   Permalink

Hi Trav,any chance that came from Detroit's Trader Vic's, still drooling over your Mauna Loa finds, think I should start shopping on the west coast!

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Toli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-08-23 8:04 pm   Permalink

Found this today at a Habitat ReStore in Canton Ohio for 3 bucks. My best find in some time. Polynesian Pottery Octopus mug from the Trader Vic's in Waikiki Circa 1967-74 This one is dated 70.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Toli 2013-08-23 20:30 ]

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-24 05:59 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-08-06 06:33, mudbone wrote:
Hi Trav,any chance that came from Detroit's Trader Vic's, still drooling over your Mauna Loa finds, think I should start shopping on the west coast!

Hi mudbone. I don't think these mugs were used at the Detroit location. The Detroit location opened nearly twenty years after the Oakland location and by that time Vic's would have had a well established supply line of cheaper mugs to distribute to all of the other restaurant locations in the chain. I'm not sure if any of these mugs even survived the move from the original Oakland location to the Emeryville location in 1972. But this is all speculation on my part.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-02 5:55 pm   Permalink

i think i done got me a pele volcano bowl from the tonga lei !!!!

..... as shown in this picture and menu. I believe mine is missing the volcano tip as you can see in the crude drawing on the menu there are three steps to the volcano and in the picture as well. This was a separate piece that served some function, probably to hold 151 as it was served on fire. The volcano is big and hollow inside so they must have needed the room for booze or ice but booze and ice could also fit around the inner rim as well. Any thoughts ?? The bowl is well sculpted and well made. Not some amateur home ceramic deal. The color is brown and it looks like the one in the photo is a dark brown as well. Some say this bowl was supposed to be black but i have no concrete evidence to support that it ever was. It may look black in the photo with the girl to some folks but i see it as dark brown.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-10-02 17:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-10-02 18:02 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-03 09:12 am   Permalink

This should go here as well:

Ren Clark's Polynesian Village Mauna Loa bowl.

An image for the record.
Bowls were unmarked.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2013-10-03 09:13 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-03 09:34 am   Permalink

Tipsy, awesome find!!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-03 09:37 am   Permalink

Swanky, did you find those Ren Clark bowls somewhere, or just the pix? Kudos to you, if they are in your collection!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-03 11:30 am   Permalink

those bowls were on ebay a few days back- the auction was for all three of them. I think the high bidder paid $271 for all.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-03 11:39 am   Permalink

Hawaii 5-0
Season 3
Disc 3
"The Last Eden"

Saw these on a shelf in a bar in the above episode.
Nothing in Ooga under red tiki or red bowl....hmmmm

Anyone seen or have one?

Sorry about photos
Best I could get

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 3:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-07 17:54, Tattoo wrote:
A minor crypto mug I guess. I feel it is fitting and I like keeping this thread alive! I found this Coconut Mug with this marking which looks like an "I" but as Philip Roberts pointed out, might be a T and a L combined. Which still doesn't help me figure out who the maker is.

BUT I have found where I have seen this marking before. Which is this Honolulu Trader Vic's Bowl.

And this Honolulu Trader Vic's mug:

Neither the Honolulu Trader Vic's marked bowl, mug or the coconut mug are (obviously) from Polynesian Pottery and I wonder who the maker mark is for. And curious if they came after or before the Polynesian Pottery mugs.

The plane! The plane!

[ This Message was edited by: tattoo 2012-12-07 18:50 ]

Here is another mug with the same markings, possibly from the Ilikai Hotel in Hawaii.

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-18 4:18 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
That mark is for Latour hawaii..

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-19 09:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

Here is another mug with the same markings, possibly from the Ilikai Hotel in Hawaii.

Yeah, I had that mug with a sparkley glaze and was attributed to the Ilikai. (It broke in the move.)

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-21 1:39 pm   Permalink

Just got this Surfer Girl volcano bowl which is little bit of a conundrum for me.

There are no markings and I have no idea where it came from. It is, however, obviously a variant of the OMC Surfer girl mug and bowls. It even has the two yellow fish.

Similar bowl but from the Aku Aku

The Skipper Kent mug

It seems that Skipper Kent in particular was fond of the surfer girl image and even used the image as an ashtray.

So the surfer girl mug might have originated with Skipper Kent. Which makes me wonder if this bowl is in effect an early Skipper Kent bowl which was then copied, much like the Spurlin pieces, by Otagiri and then mass produced.

This is unfortunately specualtion since there are no marking but it seems a plausible scenario.

I was hoping some other people might know more than I do and help identify this bowl.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation