FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-23 06:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-21 13:39, Tattoo wrote:
Just got this Surfer Girl volcano bowl which is little bit of a conundrum for me.

There are no markings and I have no idea where it came from. It is, however, obviously a variant of the OMC Surfer girl mug and bowls. It even has the two yellow fish.

Similar bowl but from the Aku Aku

The Skipper Kent mug

It seems that Skipper Kent in particular was fond of the surfer girl image and even used the image as an ashtray.

So the surfer girl mug might have originated with Skipper Kent. Which makes me wonder if this bowl is in effect an early Skipper Kent bowl which was then copied, much like the Spurlin pieces, by Otagiri and then mass produced.

This is unfortunately specualtion since there are no marking but it seems a plausible scenario.

I was hoping some other people might know more than I do and help identify this bowl.

It could just as easily go the other way. Your bowl is a copy of the bowl used at Skiper Kent's and the Aku Aku and all over. That surfer girl was widely used.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-29 09:13 am   Permalink

gabbahey posted on page 24 a minor crypto mug. We found one on in our collection but it had a different name on the bottom.

It has a brown and green glaze.

I hope this is interesting enough. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-29 3:09 pm   Permalink

Interesting enough for me! Cool to see another one.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-30 4:09 pm   Permalink

Here's the Tiki Mug from the Hawaiian Room at the Town House in Omaha, Nebraska.

The mug can be seen on the menu at the very top for serving the Moloka Monsoon.

Another more glossy version of the mug was found earlier by Bamboolodge here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=45878&forum=5

Thought it was worth putting it in the Crypto thread. New to me.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 12:36 am   Permalink

What about this thing? Anyone seen it? From the Hilton in Panama.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-12 4:38 pm   Permalink

Watching McCloud "A Cowboy in Paradise" with lots of scenes at the Hilton Hawaiian Village I noticed Louise Lasser sharing the screen with a Diamond Head (Lady Frozen in Carbonite) mug as see watches lounge singer Al Moana (Don Ho).

Later more Al Moana with a Hawaiian Village Sunset (Pearl Diver glass) and a Tropical itch.

'

And last a Hawaiian Eye drink in the leaf patterned bowl/mug.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-13 4:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-12 16:38, Bora Boris wrote:

Watching McCloud "A Cowboy in Paradise" with lots of scenes at the Hilton Hawaiian Village I noticed Louise Lasser sharing the screen with a Diamond Head (Lady Frozen in Carbonite) mug as see watches lounge singer Al Moana (Don Ho).

Nice post Boris! Damn, her stupid hat ruins the shot. You can SEE the bottom of a "The Chimp in Orbit!" behind her. It EXISTS! Someone must find that mug.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2014-01-13 16:29 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-13 5:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2014-01-13 16:29, Phillip Roberts wrote:
You can SEE the bottom of a "The Chimp in Orbit!" behind her. It EXISTS! Someone must find that mug.

Do you think the chimp is part of the mug or a separate garnish?

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-13 6:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-13 17:17, kenbo-jitsu wrote:
Do you think the chimp is part of the mug or a separate garnish?

In my opinion, it's one of these plastic drink monkey garnishes....

Like these.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-13 8:17 pm   Permalink

Nice eye Phillip! I was so busy freaking out about the Diamond Head mug I didn't notice.

Here's another shot with her dumb hat still blocking the Chimp in Orbit mug.

They'll show it again and we can grab it then.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-13 10:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2014-01-13 18:45, Phillip Roberts wrote:
In my opinion, it's one of these plastic drink monkey garnishes....

That seems reasonable enough. The mug itself then is just an elongated Collins glass, white with thin vertical black stripes. I love the name, "Chimp in Orbit". This was back in those heady days when our country was actually capable of putting a chimp in orbit. I'm guessing the drink must have had banana liqueur in it?

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-16 4:47 pm   Permalink

The Trader Vic's coffee grog mug with the tall headdress except in red. I've never seen a red version nor with such sharp detail. Cool find

Marked either "12AO13" or 12AD13" on bottom.

Does anyone know who made these type of markings and decipher them. The Ooga Mooga page describes the grog mug as being from Red Wing Pottery. But from the scant research I did, this does not seem like a Red Wing marking. Does anyone know? Any help would be appreciated.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-16 5:00 pm   Permalink

WOW! Where'd you find that?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-16 7:26 pm   Permalink

Tattoo,

That's fantastic! Where did you find it?

Based on the detail, I'd say that's likely a later remake of the mug, but who knows. What are the dimensions?

Immortalize your name for eternity by contributing to The Tikipedia!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-02-16 20:54 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-17 11:07 am   Permalink

I found the mug on the internet and it was send from Rancho Cordova which is near Sacramento. Which is not too far from Oakland and Trader Vic HQ. The mug is only 6.5" tall. The bottom edge markings say Trader Vic on one side and USA on the other.

Looking at pictures on Ooga Mooga, it matches the black "tall head dress" versions of this mug exactly except for the color and sharpness.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation