FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-17 11:19 am   Permalink

Regardless of the year it was made -- although it would be great to know!-- I really love that red glaze. The detail pops so much better than on the black versions.

Hope some info surfaces for you Tattoo--thanks for sharing!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 7:38 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure how rare it is but I have the Tapa Punch Mug from the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

[ This Message was edited by: vegastikidude 2014-02-22 19:39 ]

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-06 01:58 am   Permalink

Not sure if this octopus mug fits in here with crypto, but I found this one that holds 26oz at a flea market this past weekend. Sorry about the hula girl mug, but this was the only photo I took of the mugs found that day. It looks like the one in the Trader Vic's menu but doesn't have the Trader Vic's mark. I did read something here by Kohalacharms on octopus mugs.

thanks

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-10 3:33 pm   Permalink

Saw this online and it looked different. It seemed like a perfect cross between the 1944 Trader Vic's Samoan Fog Cutter mug and the later Tepco Hula girl mug with the bird.

It most resembles the 1944 TV mug but it's not. It's definitely different. Besides the added birds on top, and it's also a different manufacturer. Not as handmade and it has a smaller concave bottom.

No doubt a copy of the original TV mug which then morphed into the more common Tepco Hula mug with the birds. Which then morphed into the Harvey's hula girl mug by Otagiri.

Anyone have any thoughts on this???

The plane! The plane!

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 5:10 pm   Permalink

Great detective work! Looks like the missing link in the evolutionary chain for sure.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 10:54 pm   Permalink

Yup, that's the TV Waikiki octopus. There are several styles of the mug by Polynesian Pottery that the drink was served in, but that's the earliest. Lucky you!

Quote:

On 2014-03-06 01:58, tikipaka wrote:
Not sure if this octopus mug fits in here with crypto, but I found this one that holds 26oz at a flea market this past weekend. Sorry about the hula girl mug, but this was the only photo I took of the mugs found that day. It looks like the one in the Trader Vic's menu but doesn't have the Trader Vic's mark. I did read something here by Kohalacharms on octopus mugs.

thanks

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation