FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 05:03 am   Permalink

I saw these Hawaiian Inn Daytona mugs on eBay. They sold back in June and I was hoping they would show up here so I hope I am not stepping on any toes by posting them. The mugs are by OMC and I have never seen them before so thought they may fit the crypto thread.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2014-08-16 05:05 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 09:23 am   Permalink

Wow, Trav. I've never seen those either. Did they go for big money?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-16 09:23, Big Kahuna wrote:
Wow, Trav. I've never seen those either. Did they go for big money?

If I remember right the pair sold for a respectable amount. That's big money to my wallet

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2014-08-16 17:53 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 29 days ago; 5:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-11 05:33, boutiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-03-06 10:59, Dustycajun wrote:

There is also a crypto Scorpion bowl with bamboo and palm leaves on the menu that I have not seen before.

DC

Tiki Quest page 84
-Duke

Just acquired one of these behemoths and didn't realize it was used at the Polynesian till I browsed through this thread again. So cool to find it in a menu!!! It is HUGE I have to say serves 3-4 in my humble opinion.

Not marked but been told on very good authority that this is Tepco. Indeed it looks and feels like Tepco. And it matches the Tepco bamboo Fogcutter as well:

Apparently the reason why there is no stamp is because of all the curved surfaces on the bottom.

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2014-08-18 17:30 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 6:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-22 19:38, vegastikidude wrote:
I'm not sure how rare it is but I have the Tapa Punch Mug from the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

[ This Message was edited by: vegastikidude 2014-02-22 19:39 ]

I found this "tapa punch" petroglyph design tiki mug just yesterday and purchased it on fleabay .Much different looking glaze and over all design from vegastikidudes mug that he posted.What do you think Phil Roberts ...have you ever seen one like this before ?

top view inner glaze

back

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 6:51 pm   Permalink

WOW. I like it. Wait, that's not strong enough. I Freakin' LOVE IT!!!

I've never seen that version before. I'm gonna guess it was a prototype or a jazzed up version that was rejected by HHV. It's also possible that it's a later version that's not done be Terrra Ceramics. While it still has the general design, I think the versions we know would have been easier to make enmass.

Best, Phillip

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 6:55 pm   Permalink

So cool that another one of these mugs surfaced. They're so rare!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freeland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 28 days ago; 8:39 pm   Permalink

I must admit... had I seen this mug in a junk shop I would have passed it up thinking it was some type of souvenir from New Mexico.

Wonder how many times now I have passed up great mugs by not taking the time to study old menus...

View Profile of Freeland Send a personal message to Freeland  Email Freeland Goto the website of Freeland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 02:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-19 20:39, Freeland wrote:
I must admit... had I seen this mug in a junk shop I would have passed it up thinking it was some type of souvenir from New Mexico.

Wonder how many times now I have passed up great mugs by not taking the time to study old menus...

You beat me to it Freeland and took the words right out of my mouth. It would be really amazing if we could know how many times that HAS actually happened, not just to you or myself but everyone who collects tiki stuff.

When i was there in June i took the time going through matchbook collections i saw in thrift stores/antique shops and it paid off with me finding a handful of tiki related ones. Yet here in Australia i just don't bother looking at matchbook collections because i just do not believe it's worth the time because i just can't imagine i'd ever find anything. But maybe if i did who knows what i'd find. And it's the same thing with these crypto mugs. I might not be anywhere near the epicenter of tiki but who knows how many mugs i've walked past because i don't know what i should be looking for.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 26 days ago; 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-29 19:29, Tattoo wrote:
Back to the true origins of this thread... crypto mugs and who has them? Well, here's one I have always wondered about: the 1944 Life Magazine "Hot Buttered Rum" Skull mug.

We are all familiar with the Tepco/Trader Vic Pointed Skull Mug but as can be seen in the famous Life Magazine article, the one above has a heavy aged look to it. Black smudges and such which appear to be part of the glaze. I have NEVER seen one like that and been on the hunt and looked for years for a blackened vintage Trader Vic's skull mug. Does someone have one???

None of the mugs and bowls of that article that have been found are Tepco. And the 1939 Patent of the Skull Mug is by Trader Vic and not Tepco:

Thus it is fair to presume that the 1944 skull mug is actually not Tepco - like all the other finds of that article. Does anyone have a clue as to who made these early mugs??? Not until the mid 50s did Trader Vic relegate most of his mugs to Tepco but... these early pre-1950 ones, the few I have seen, seem to have no makers mark and feel very homemade.

So, there must be a pre-Tepco Skull mug and... who has one?

[ This Message was edited by: tattoo 2014-07-30 14:03 ]

Hmmmm.....so I found this guy a few years ago...I assumed at the time that a hobbyist had re-glazed a white Tepco mug but I liked it and the price was right....hmmmm.....

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 3:53 pm   Permalink

Whoa! Now, that's cool!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut

Posted: 26 days ago; 4:04 pm   Permalink

I'll take a closer look when I get home from work but I still think mine is probably a hobbyist mug...Funny how I connected the fogcutter mug in the 1944 Life Mag article with one that I had but never noticed the skull mug...

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 25 days ago; 09:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-08-19 18:07, 1961surf wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-02-22 19:38, vegastikidude wrote:
I'm not sure how rare it is but I have the Tapa Punch Mug from the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

[ This Message was edited by: vegastikidude 2014-02-22 19:39 ]

I found this "tapa punch" petroglyph design tiki mug just yesterday and purchased it on fleabay .Much different looking glaze and over all design from vegastikidudes mug that he posted.What do you think Phil Roberts ...have you ever seen one like this before ?

top view inner glaze

back

That had been relisted on eBay a few times with no buyers. It looks to me like the same design, but that there was a problem with the glaze (maybe applied too thick?) and it ran. Otherwise, the design looks identical.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation