FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-21 4:55 pm   Permalink

One of the very first Tiki Mug collectors! I just love these listings on eBay that showed this carefully documented Tiki mug collection of someone from the early 70s. I’d imagine a young kid all excited about these cool establishments collecting these fun souvenir mugs.

All documented using an old Dyno label maker.

And very fortuitous for us here in on Tiki Central! Most of the mugs are pretty familiar ones from the Boston area with the exception of this odd ‘skull’ mug from Bob Lee’s Islander.

One I’ve never seen before. With it being unmarked and not a being a traditional Tiki mug, we would probably never have known of this mug had it not been for our early Tiki mug collector. Although not pictured in any menu’s I could find, it does seem to appear in this picture of Bob Lee’s interior on the bottom right

Pretty fun little connecting the dots and unearthing a new crypto mug And again highlighting what an eclectic place Bob Lee’s Islander was.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-12-21 7:39 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's really strange. My parents had a set of those mugs, and I always thought they were neat with the crackle finish. I asked my mother about them recently, and all she could find in her kitchen was one left of the smaller ones... about the size of an old fashioned, which she let me have. Then, fast forward a few months later and I found one in a thrift store that matches it, but it's even smaller. Here's a photo:

The color in my photo is a bit off... they are more green than blue. Note that the small one doesn't have the gold horse-like image on it. Maybe it got washed off or it never had it in the first place...

[ This Message was edited by: tikitube 2017-12-21 19:41 ]

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2017-12-21 7:48 pm   Permalink

Okay, here's an update...I did some more digging. They are called Somayaki by Somaware. They made all kinds of glassware in this finish, including mugs, tumblers, and even carafes and tea pots.

A quick Google search yields lots of hits across multiple secondhand sites like eBay.

And here's a write-up on the history that I found at a site called Worthpoint.com:

"Somayaki was established in 1690 in Fukushima, Northern Japan. During the Edo period, it enjoyed the protection of the Soma lords and grew to over 100 kilns, making it one of the biggest and most important potteries in Northern Japan. However with the advent of the Meiji restoration, the influence of the lords declined and the number of kilns gradually decreased to the 27 still in production today.

Somayaki is proud of its history and draws from 300 years of tradition to create distinctive, unique pieces popular with collectors everywhere. One of the most recognisable characteristics of Somayaki is its "Hashirigoma" (galloping horse motif). The origin of the motif is the subject of much speculation, but it can be no doubt that it is related to Soma's long history of horse handling ( the "ma" in Soma actually means "horse").

Over 1,000 years ago, horses were used as a form of martial training. Warriors were prepared for battle by trying to wrestle sacred banners from the backs of wild horses. The galloping horse motif is painted on Somayaki following the tradition of the Kano School of Painting, one of the most prominent and respected schools of art in Japan.

Another unique feature is the use of "double walls". The pieces are constructed with an inner wall which can be seen through cut-outs in the outer shell. As well as adding an interesting dimension, this feature also has the added advantage of keeping the tea warm while leaving the outer surface cool. "Aohibi" is the name given to the distinctive blue crackled glaze seen on most Somayaki ware."

[ This Message was edited by: tikitube 2017-12-21 19:55 ]

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-22 08:38 am   Permalink

Awesome research tikitube. A couple coincidences thrown together and now we probably know more than we ever thought about Somayaki. It would have been some nice restaurant ware for Bob Lee to use.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-22 09:10 am   Permalink

Great detective work guys. This is what I like most about TC. All the little pieces add to the big picture.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Firetiger93

Posted: 2017-12-22 12:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-05 08:03, MadDogMike wrote:
This 1960 Ren Clark Polynesian Village Fort Worth menu was posted on Big Kahuna's FB page. Are these real mugs? I'm not a collector but I haven't noticed anything like the Black Lady mug or the Cannibal Bowl set-up. Also, what's up with the "Rum or Beverage Locker" for $12 per year. From the menu descriptions it looks like you furnished you own liquor? They suggest a liquor for each drink but I guess you could mix it with whatever you wanted?

Here's the black woman mug on eBay. This isn't my listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292360541984

View Profile of Firetiger93 Send a personal message to Firetiger93      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-27 6:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-12-22 12:22, Firetiger93 wrote:

Here's the black woman mug on eBay. This isn't my listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292360541984

Reposting some of the images for posterity:

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-28 5:27 pm   Permalink

Interesting mug here from the Ilikai Hotel made by LaTour (?).

In an earlier post a different mug from the Ilikai was also posted...

ron-tiki

Posted: 2017-12-29 7:09 pm   Permalink

Definitely La tour.. That's their mark..

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-30 3:22 pm   Permalink

A fog cutter mug for Dave Wong's China Sails. I thought I had seen this mug before but could not find it anywhere.

Dave Wong's China Sails has quite a few mugs including the super fun and weird Maoi with the protruding lip

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39843&forum=2

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2018-01-30 15:30 ]

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-01 8:28 pm   Permalink

Found another Trader Vic’s Hawaii mug on Oahu

Peeping Tom

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2018-02-01 20:29 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-26 2:53 pm   Permalink

I wanted to discuss the Bumatay-style bowls and see if we can track down who manufactured them and which restaurants used them.

Here is one found at a thrift store by Mark & Maggie of Velvet Glass in Tucson AZ

This one was found by tikidon at a junk shop in Sebastopol CA

Rhoda is using one in a Tiki Bar in Season 1, Episode 14 of "Rhoda", (1973 or 1974)

These vintage designs inspired Gecko to create his "Mt Bumatay" bowl

The tiki restaurant in the Rhoda episode intrigues me. We know the show was shot mainly in Studio City, CA, so maybe it was somewhere nearby? Here are some more shots of the restaurant from the episode:

Exterior

Interior

Some of the other bowls being used in the scene, including one of those coconut-monkey glass-holders

Any other thoughts on these bowls? Does anyone else own a vintage version?

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-26 6:37 pm   Permalink

The Tahitian was located in Studio City so that might make it a contender. Although the interior might have been a set while the exterior was real footage. I have not seen the clip so it is hard to say for me.

Also, I believe Sven sold a vintage bowl a few years back. The one from the BOT. Other than that I really don't know much about these super cool bowls. They have always been on top of my wish list....

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-28 11:38 am   Permalink

Tattoo - Thanks for reminding me about the version in the BOT. I'm with you. These bowls are at the top of my wish-list as well.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-31 10:29 am   Permalink

Here’s mine again
Wife found it on Oahu
No markings

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation