FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 7:16 pm   Permalink

Being in use at the restaurant is one thing, but was that Barrel 'O Rum mug ever a take-away souvenir or did they stay on site? Certainly a good many of them would have been swiped by light-fingered patrons, but if it wasn't actually a keepsake included in the menu drink price I can sort of understand it's rarity.

Very cool mug I would love to have though!

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 07:30 am   Permalink

My first thought was that the valet's and staff back in the day were better at stopping theft. I have heard from many saying they'd stop people with mugs. But that picture shows practically all the bar ware, including glasses, on a gift shop shelf. I'd bet that image is from 1971ish. So, people could walk out with it in a bag.

Considering the coffee grog cups from that time are pretty easy to get, and you know the barrels were served more than that, you'd think it would be part of every decent collection. I don't have an answer, but am glad I finally own one.

Got mine in 2010.

As a note, the Mai-Kai today goes through as many as 300 barrel mugs a month. Mostly walking out the door, but some through breakage, etc. People took their souvenirs back in the day too... But it was never part of the drink price.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2014-07-29 07:33 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: Today; 07:43 am   Permalink

That's a lot of petty thievery. People suck.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation