FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Painkiller, New York, NY (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Painkiller, New York, NY (bar)
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-18 7:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips! I'll be in town for about a week so I'll try to hit Otto's as well. I'm a little more interested in atmosphere than drink quality (I probably haven't had enough GOOD drinks to tell the difference). There is NOTHING in Kansas City to compare with either of these places, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-19 09:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-17 11:28, carlosrossi wrote:
Is it just me, or do they put ALOT of ice in their drinks? I mean, I understand you need to ice up your drinks but to the point where it looks half empty? Or maybe they just were half empty..? Who knows.. Either way, this bar looks like a must visit next time I'm out east.

No, it's totally not you at all. They put a ton of ice in their drinks. That was one of my main complaints.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 10:20 am   Permalink

Well, I was in NY on business last week and had the opportunity to check out Painkiller last Sunday. I was pretty amped up for it after hearing about how good the drinks are.

Hmmm . . wonder if this is the place?

I had to have the Zombie. Despite the one-and-your-done potency, I was really interested in tasting the original 1934 Don Beach recipe. Thankfully, the months of training I'd undergone prepared me for this drink and I avoided literal "zombie" status.

Others in our group had the 151 Swizzle, Cradles of Life, and Daiquiris. No complaints.

The focus at Painkiller is clearly on the drinks, and there they excel. Still, I'd like to see more escapist decor. It's a small place, so it wouldn't be difficult to TIPSY it up a bit more. I'd even consider donating one of my carvings if they'd use it.

The only good thing about the music we heard was, at least it wasn't Margaritaville. If you don't want to play Denny and Baxter, OK. But why, when there are so many contemporary surf and lounge bands to choose from must we listen to techno-pop?

That's all the bad I can say about Painkiller. Yeah, there's a lot of ice in the drinks, but at least in the case of the Zombie, that's not really a bad thing.

The drinks are excellent, though. So bring an iPod and enjoy yourself!

(edited to include group photo)

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2010-07-26 08:57 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 1:22 pm   Permalink

I was at Painkiller last Thursday and I pretty much agree with everything you said. It's definitely all about the drinks. I figure the decor and the music were concessions made to keep the locals coming into the place. But I can put up with a lot if you give me a decent drink!

My only other complaint was with the barstools. They are bolted down and a bit too close to the bar. Felt like I was constantly leaning backward and it was kind of painful after a while.

Pics to be posted later.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-21 2:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Yeah, there's a lot of ice in the drinks, but at least in the case of the Zombie, that's not really a bad thing.

I agree. In fact I can't think of a reason why lots of ice would ever be a negative in tropical drinks (or in almost any drink). As long as they use quality ingredients, are properly measured & well-balanced, and they aren't skimping on rum I would rather have plenty of ice. It sounds like all these things are the case at Painkiller. If plenty of ice is used drinks stay nice and cold and don't get watery as fast. I've noticed when making drinks at home if not enough ice is used the ice tends to melt too fast and make the drink watery. Also, to fill large tiki mugs you sometimes have to pack them with ice (or else serve double or triple the usual recipe).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-04 12:20 pm   Permalink

Found the comments about the ice-craze at Painkiller pretty much spot-on, but really was glad for it in the Zombie. As mentioned, their drinks are potent (well, especially the Zombie, as it should). The music? Eh...leave it.

Still, well worth a visit. Or two. In fact, I will be back there Tuesday night (9/7) if anyone wants to meet up. PM or post here!

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-09 03:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-21 14:43, thejab wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, there's a lot of ice in the drinks, but at least in the case of the Zombie, that's not really a bad thing.

I agree. In fact I can't think of a reason why lots of ice would ever be a negative in tropical drinks (or in almost any drink). As long as they use quality ingredients, are properly measured & well-balanced, and they aren't skimping on rum I would rather have plenty of ice. It sounds like all these things are the case at Painkiller. If plenty of ice is used drinks stay nice and cold and don't get watery as fast. I've noticed when making drinks at home if not enough ice is used the ice tends to melt too fast and make the drink watery. Also, to fill large tiki mugs you sometimes have to pack them with ice (or else serve double or triple the usual recipe).

There's a difference between using alot of ice in the right amount, like say Trader Vic's does with their Mai Tais, and using way too much ice. At Painkiller they use waaaaay too much ice IMO. When I ordered my Mai Tai there it was a week after they had opened so giving the benefit of the doubt I thought the bartender was still getting acquainted with drinks and accidentally put in too much ice. But still I thought like I was kind of being ripped-off. There was more ice than there was drink, and THAT is very uncool. This is an area they need to work on.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2010-09-09 03:44 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-09 06:11 am   Permalink

(Most) drinks at Painkiller are dry shaken then poured over a ton of crushed ice. From my experience, this extends the dilution process allowing for a less watery sip at the end. If you are not used to it, seeing an almost full vessel of ice when the drink is gone, might strike you wrong. I have not heard a single complaint about not getting enough alcohol or taste from the drinks. ; - )

Of course, you do always have the option of sipping longer and having more of a watery drink.

This is an attitude about serving crushed ice cocktails, not a glitch or misunderstanding.

I think it's great!

So, as with most things, to each his own.

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-18 12:13 pm   Permalink

Just got one of their menus from my sister yesterday. She said their Mai Tai was quite delicious.

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-09 06:11, tabuzak wrote:
(Most) drinks at Painkiller are dry shaken then poured over a ton of crushed ice. From my experience, this extends the dilution process allowing for a less watery sip at the end. If you are not used to it, seeing an almost full vessel of ice when the drink is gone, might strike you wrong. I have not heard a single complaint about not getting enough alcohol or taste from the drinks. ; - )

Of course, you do always have the option of sipping longer and having more of a watery drink.

This is an attitude about serving crushed ice cocktails, not a glitch or misunderstanding.

I think it's great!

Very true. I'll go with the technique angle, which makes sense, but IMO you have to at least let the customer know that you're giving them their dollar's worth. Your glass can't be filled two-thirds with ice, with the actual cocktail laying at the bottom. To be fair I compare any new Tiki cocktails that I have with what I consider the cream of the crop which would be Tiki-Ti, Mai Kai, and Trader Vic's. If the amount of ice is something you notice, then something's not right. Dry shaken or not. When you get a drink at Tiki-Ti or any of the other places mentioned the whole experience in seamless. There's no question about how it was prepared, and I think those establishments are at the top of the scale in terms of mixology. I had my first drinks at Lani Kai last night as I mentioned in the thread about that place. Same thing. There was no question about how it was prepared. It was amazing from beginning to end.

donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-09 06:11, tabuzak wrote:

I think it's great!

Very true. I'll go with the technique angle, which makes sense, but IMO you have to at least let the customer know that you're giving them their dollar's worth. Your glass can't be filled two-thirds with ice, with the actual cocktail laying at the bottom. To be fair I compare any new Tiki cocktails that I have with what I consider the cream of the crop which would be Tiki-Ti, Mai Kai, and Trader Vic's. If the amount of ice is something you notice, then something's not right. Dry shaken or not. When you get a drink at Tiki-Ti or any of the other places mentioned the whole experience is seamless. There's no question about how it was prepared, and I think those establishments are at the top of the scale in terms of mixology. I had my first drinks at Lani Kai last night as I mentioned in the thread about that place. Same thing. There was no question about how it was prepared. It was amazing from beginning to end.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2010-11-18 17:27 ]

Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 7:24 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39042&forum=10&0

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 12:38 pm   Permalink

Looks like Painkiller is going to be changing their name to PKNY:

http://www.thelodownny.com/leslog/2011/06/lawsuit-costs-painkiller-its-name-and-website-health-dept-inspection-turns-up-trouble.html

And they've run afoul of the health inspectors as well:

http://www.thelodownny.com/leslog/2011/06/health-inspection-is-bad-news-for-painkiller.html

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 10:56 am   Permalink

Pusser's Rum sued Painkiller forcing them to change their name to PKNY
http://bit.ly/mrYnbT

ps. Charles Tobias, founder and chairman of Pusser's stole and then copyrighted the Painkiller recipe...
http://charlestobias.com/2009/02/hello-world/

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-12 03:02 am   Permalink

I am surprised this hasn't prompted more discussion here on TC?
Over on Facebook a large number of top bartenders around the world have pulled the product from their shelves in support of PKNY.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation