FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Shirtman's third Tiki is done! Sept 30.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Shirtman's third Tiki is done! Sept 30.
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-25 11:01 pm   Permalink

Its been a while since I posted any new work. Been super busy but I managed to start a new one last week. I bought 4 new gouges. What a difference good tools make.

Anyways here's my progress thus far.

Where he stands tonight.

Here is some eye candy from San Diego.
It almost looks fake. I feel privileged to have witnessed it.

i'll post more pics as I progress.

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2010-02-25 23:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sdshirtman 2010-02-26 08:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2010-02-26 08:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2010-03-01 01:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2010-03-14 00:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2010-06-06 17:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2010-06-25 14:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sdshirtman 2010-08-26 11:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2010-10-01 19:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2010-10-01 20:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SDshirtman 2010-10-01 20:02 ]

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-26 7:57 pm   Permalink

More pix pls!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-26 10:34 pm   Permalink

After seeing your last two... I have a feeling I'm going to love this guy~!!!
I love how straight and clean your cuts look.. really nice..
Looking forward to your next pictures..

[ This Message was edited by: Beachbumz 2010-02-26 22:38 ]

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-01 02:54 am   Permalink

Thanks Beachbumz. I made a little more progress and started in on roughing in the head dress.

I managed to do a few cuts with my chainsaw Saturday buty had a little mishap. I was getting ready to dig in for some detail work and stropped my gouge to sharpen it up a bit. Moments after I sat down to get to work I managed to insert the corner of my #2 gouge into the tip of my middle finger. It happened in the blink of an eye and although it wasn't too painful, it was deep and I must have hit a vain or something because I started bleeding like a leaky faucet. Once the bleeding stopped and I was able to clean it up it didnt look as bad as I thought it would be at first. It probably could have used a stitch or two but a butterfly bandage worked I think it will heal up reasonably quick but I'm bummed because I didn't get to carve for the rest of the weekend as my finger is pretty tender.

This is about as far as I got before sticking myself. I think he has potential to be pretty cool but I'm second guessing myself on how to do his back side.

Dont click link if you're squeamish and remember to be careful with sharp objects.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p204/sdshirtman/IMG_7957.jpg

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-01 03:12 am   Permalink

Lono looks Great now that it's been fed! You need to feed your tikis more often but something Other than human blood. They might get addicted to that an you will find soon that carving with no fingertips is difficult!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-01 10:01 am   Permalink

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever"

Nice progress shots Shirtman, looks like it will be a beaut.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-01 2:18 pm   Permalink

Man! That is looking smooooth. It's worth it.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-01 4:41 pm   Permalink

SHIRTMAN!!!!! this ones lookin sweeeet!!!! smooth as a babys ass on a summers day!!! looks like a nice log too!!! cant wait!! p.s.hold on to them fingers!!!! cheerz!!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 5:22 pm   Permalink

You are the perfect example of measure once and cut,Oh wait whatever> I wish I had the patieance and a knack for spelling. looks awesome!!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-14 12:52 am   Permalink

Its been two weeks and my finger is healing nicely and is good enough to spend some more time on this guy.
Here's the latest.

His top is pretty much done minus some serious sanding when he dries out a little more. I ran into a bunch of pink moldy
sections on top which kind of sucks. I've been spraying it with a bleach solution to try and kill it and prevent it from spreading any further.
I'm thinking I should have done this on a taller log but no turning back now. This was kind of inspired from a few different tiki's I've seen here.
I was wanting to do something a little more traditional but think I kind of wound up with something a little more modern. Whatever.

Teeth are finished. I was thinking of trying to carve a little curl into the sides of his tongue but I didnt think I had enough room. We'll see.

Cancer log. I think it will be OK once its stained.

Here's the side view. I have a sketch I'm working from but its not really working for me anymore now that I'm seeing it in the real world. I cant decide weather to do just eye slits of carve something a bit more detailed or just leave the eyes the way they are.
I'm also really kind of puzzled as to how to do the sides to the back now too. Maybe a triangular shape sloping back and tapering down.
Anyone want to weigh in with an opinion?

Thanks for lookin.

BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-14 09:30 am   Permalink

sdshirtman this guys lookin great!!! Way to go deep on that headress!!!!! Wow!!! As for the eye details don't do any thing till you get further along he will tlk to you eventually! As for transisting fro side to back I changed my design 3 times on my most recent guy!! The only good way of helpin yah wld be yo tell yah how I doit. I draw w a thick pencil or just sumthin easy to erase sand it off and try again till I see sumthin that trips my tiki!!! And lookin at lots of pics of others to get ideas. Good luck my friend!!! Cheerz!!!!!!!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-14 2:10 pm   Permalink

I say keep carvin' some detailed stuff. I have one where I let the lower part just be, and have always regretted it. They say, do the BEST you can do on all your pieces. In the art world, your portfolio, you're only as good as your worst piece!!
Awesome so far, your after my heart with the nice rounded, sanded look. Too bad about the rot, he looks like he's got the measles.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-14 10:20 pm   Permalink

Nice work for the hairdress...

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 01:56 am   Permalink

Looks great, so tight!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 06:15 am   Permalink

Yer stuff is always smooooooth as a baby's but. Really nice.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation