FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Shirtman's third Tiki is done! Sept 30.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Shirtman's third Tiki is done! Sept 30.
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 4:42 pm   Permalink

Get back and finish the fella! Im siding with your wife here.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-26 11:41 am   Permalink

Hello all Its been a few months. I was hoping to meet some of you at Tiki Oasis. It was in my own backyard but I couldnt make it. Maybe next year.

I managed to find some time to work on my fella a bit more. This one is taking a lot longer then I expected. I hope to have him done by the end of September though. We'll see. Pics were taken with my phone so excuse the quality.

I'm starting in with some details. He ended up troll feet. Kinda weird.

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-26 3:05 pm   Permalink

With feet like that, he looks like a Menehune, the Hawaiian Trolls! Great job so far!

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-27 08:34 am   Permalink

Beautiful carve, great details, I like the way you "re-worked" the eyes.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-27 6:08 pm   Permalink

Really looking Great Shirts, Love the facial details and the diamond eyes. This one is gonna be Killer.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-01 7:57 pm   Permalink

After some minor finishing set backs my third tiki is finally finished. Boy did he take a long time.
I did some sanding and touch up staining to fix some of the really bad parts of the spar accident I had.
In the end I said the hell with it. He's just going to sit in the back yard and weather anyways.

I stained this one a little differently using a coat of golden oak minwax then going over certain spots with
different colored water based wood dyes.
I know some of you are going to say I should have left him simple like the he is in the next picture.
This is after the first coat of stain.

A little colored dye. I was kinda second guessing myself here.

I ended up using semi gloss spar vs. satin this time.

With this one complete I think I'm taking an indefinite hiatus from carving tiki's.

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-01 8:01 pm   Permalink

Ya know what, I LIKE the different stains! It's not garish or anything, the colors all work together. I think that guy came out great, especially considering the problems you had. Good job!

What's up with the indefinite hiatus?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-01 8:21 pm   Permalink

Clean design,great finish,very nice work!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-01 8:27 pm   Permalink

You had me scared for a minute with that yellow dye but the varnish really toned it down beautifully. I LIKE the feet, especially after they were defined with the stain, a little different take from everyone else's tiki. Overall I'd say it's first rate!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
claq50
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 05:34 am   Permalink

wow, that is awesome work. I can see you must put a ton of time into snading and the fine details. Very nice!

View Profile of claq50 Send a personal message to claq50      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 07:06 am   Permalink

Excellent work Shirtman, I'm Really impressed with the whole design and the amount of detail you put into it and Mostly how you took the extra time to clean and finish all the little nooks and cranneys everywhere,, Impeccible work!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-02 07:30 am   Permalink

I just realized I capitalized "LIKE" just LIKE 4WDT did and now I feel LIKE a DORK!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-02 11:24 am   Permalink

Wow, such clean lines, fun design, and really nice finish. Troll Tiki turned out great. GROG hope your carving hiatus isn't too indefinite. GROG looking forward to seeing more of your carvings.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 2:17 pm   Permalink

BEAUTIFUL!

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-02 6:09 pm   Permalink

Atomic Tiki Punk, MadDogMike, claq50, Benzart, GROG, drasticwagon:
Thanks for the compliments. They are always welcome and you're all awesome.

4WDtiki;
The hiatus is because I've got myself into building guitars and I'm hooked. Thats where most of my free time is going to go now.
I thoroughly enjoy carving, I just dont have enough time for both and I think I have more talent for building guitars then I do carving tiki's. Tiki's are cool and all but you cant play em when you're done.

I have thought of maybe trying to collaborate with someone here on a cool tiki guitar someday. It could be really cool fun project.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation