Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Looking for Pecky Cedar Wood
Looking for Pecky Cedar Wood
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-26 2:04 pm   Permalink

Pretty much impossible to find in SoCal, I'm trying to find some pecky cedar for my patio project...
It looks like this...

Funny, but there are houses covered in this stuff all over the place, and places like Don the Beachcomber and the Tonga Hut have it in there, but NO ONE carries it down here.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 4:54 pm   Permalink

You should be able to find that at lumber company.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 5:32 pm   Permalink

I think that was my bedroom 25 years ago but, it was up and down, not side to side.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-26 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-26 16:54, Jungle Trader wrote:
You should be able to find that at lumber company.

gee vic, can you be more vague ?

WHAT Lumber company ?...where ?

No one, I mean NO ONE has it here in the southland.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-26 6:21 pm   Permalink

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/1610389490.html

Reuse is the way to go.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 8:23 pm   Permalink

I don't know the area Jim, but try inland. There's 2 lumber companies near me, within a few miles. Jus thought it might be the same for you. Then ageein, I'm in the "backwater".
OR you could contact a fence repair company. They will be tearing down old fences like crazy this year, guaranteed. (I get calls nearly everyday for wood fence repair)

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2010-02-26 20:30 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 8:47 pm   Permalink

Hey Tikiyaki, while "lumber stores" may feel vauge, it's probably more of a how to ask for it. I work at a lumber yard myself. check at the lowes and home depot stores or your local lumber yard, but ask for #3 or rustic cedar. Same thing. What size are you looking for? Pending on the size will tell you how hard it will be to find. 1x6 1x8 & 1x12.. check in the fence board section. Problem with this is it will be only 6' tall normaly. Sometimes you can find what they call "fence kicker boards" that are longer (12-16') 4x4 should be ok to find but 2x and others may be a little harder. You may need to order it if you can find someone who knows wood instead of "we don't got that sorry"
To bad We are not closer to you... but my shop is only as far down the state as the bay area.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-26 10:50 pm   Permalink

Thanx for your help guys....Tiki Shaker, I emailed the guy in SD...thanx for the tip.
I actually found someone on Sacramento Craigslist, but he didn't want to ship.

ka'lenatiki - I will try asking for #3 cedar, but I see you're in redding....NorCal has access to this stuff, but the Home Depot and Lowes stores down here just don't have it, I looked.

I can go a variety of sizes, as long as it's not thicker than 1"....I just would like to make a really cool covering for the fence gate at the top of my stairs...see photo here,
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35623&forum=20&15, and maybe make some other decor out of it...maybe even a bar. It's really cool looking stuff, and, as I'm finding out, really uncommon here.

So, I'm pretty sure I won't find it locally.

Anyway, I will try all your suggestions...Thanx guys.

ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 3:02 pm   Permalink

yeah, thats the problem somtimes. Part of it is the fact that the look for the pecky cedar died out about the mid 80's ( hmmm time frame sounds familar ) I sometimes get people looking for a western look and want pecky. The box stores can transfer it if you can find some but it's a pain. Problaby better off if you can find a smaller lumber shop. have e'm quote it for you and tell them that you are remodeling a bar lounge ( the truth sorta ) and you may need to get more. They will get you a better price to get you to come back instead of depot. lol...we do. I'll see if I can find a distributer for it down there monday for ya

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 3:02 pm   Permalink

ooops

[ This Message was edited by: ka'lenatiki 2010-02-27 15:03 ]

bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 7:32 pm   Permalink

As a carpenter, I have not seen Pecky Cedar in any lumberyard in So Cal for years, it used to be cheap like dirt... If you reuse that fence wood, I would get it treated for termites before you use it!

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 10:46 pm   Permalink

I got your perky cedar wood right here pal!

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 1:48 pm   Permalink

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/1639258202.html

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation