FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The South Pacific Room-Vista,CA-updated 05/04/14
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The South Pacific Room-Vista,CA-updated 05/04/14
panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-29 8:08 pm   Permalink

Monkeyman, Monkeyman, Monkeyman. You are in two words, a G E N I U S A R T I S T. I haven's seen such gorgeous beams and trim on any of the posts here. You are so talented, and yes, the painting just adds to the crazy gogeousness. Someday I will begin my tiki room too. My idea for a "chair rail" of sorts would be some split bamboo poles mounted onto say a 1x4 on the wall...but the bamboo is pierced with a design using a router, and inside the half pole would be some red or amber rope light so it glows through. I don't know if a router would work on bamboo? I thought that would look really cool. Great job. I love your posts!

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 9:10 pm   Permalink

I still LOVE the way you add subtle coloring to your carved woodwork. It's totally unexpected and really different from the usual stained wood seen here on TC. FANTASTIC!!!

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Mitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-30 2:39 pm   Permalink

WOW WOW WOW
I am blown away by your router work! And the staining really shows it off.
Love the lighting on the mug rack too!
congratulations.

View Profile of Trader Mitch Send a personal message to Trader Mitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 4:54 pm   Permalink

Hi Derek, I've said it before but your work is a huge inspiration to me (going all the way back to that first album picture frame I bought from you). Makes me even more inpatient to get back to work on mine (healing up from a car accident).

Hope you're having a great time in that room (can't imagine anything else in there). Isn't it cool having a room that can instantly put a smile on anyones face as soon as they enter?
Your family must be very proud of you and your talents.
Much aloha, my tiki friend,
John

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ESP182
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-31 2:58 pm   Permalink

Dear Mr. Monkeyman -

Any chance you could take a photo of the lighting on the mug shelves you have in the room and post here? What are you using for lighting - a light rope?

Thanks

View Profile of ESP182 Send a personal message to ESP182      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 3:12 pm   Permalink

WE use rope light. Stays cool. Power efficient. Inexpensive

WE cut off the stock wiring and solder on a much longer extension cord so that WE can hide it all behind the bamboo and run it to the floor. If you cut and solder make sure you use a couple layers of shrink tubing over it.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2013-07-29 21:31 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-11 8:38 pm   Permalink

WOW oh Wow! Nice work Derek! You just inspired my entryway to my Hut in my backyard! I'm trying to finish it over the next 2 weeks before summer!

The color is amazing, and the carving and design is outstanding!

Quote:

On 2010-10-26 12:55, Monkeyman wrote:
Installed

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-17 7:38 pm   Permalink

aloha Monkeyman,

your south pacific room is absolutely stunning in it's scope, design and execution.

you've heard it all before, i'm sure, but that router work is... well... mere words fail me i'm afraid.

i've been moving towards my own (humble) little grass shack for a few years and your work, amongst others,
really gave me that final swift kick up the butt to get things moving, thank you so much.

warmest regards...bob

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 1:22 pm   Permalink

Thank you to everyone who has expressed such kind feedback.

OUR tiki room is my sanctuary and the time I spend working on is good for my brain. WE are focused when WE in project mode and the problems of the world slip away for a few hours.

The best part of the process is to see how much others enjoy it. Most weekends the room is full of neighborhood kids who watch Spongebob on the TV while they eat breakfast at the bar.

We put out platters of chips and pretzels and they snack and drink sodas between playing basketball out back and swimming in the pool.

Sanctuary...

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2013-07-29 21:35 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 2:03 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a slice of Heaven, Derek. And it sounds like you've been able to sit back and (ok, maybe not 'sit back' with a neighborhood of kids in your house) appreciate those times. That's what we're all looking for isn't it? I'm sure your kids realize they have a fun and talented Dad and they'll always remember growing up in the coolest house around. Where else would you want to watch Sponge Bob?

Hope you have a great week,
John

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-23 10:33 pm   Permalink

Fabulous...and I love how you incorporated the glass block, really links to the retro feel of those green chairs...love them...and the entry way carving is over the top!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-26 2:19 pm   Permalink

nice attention to detail...love the look

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-28 09:21 am   Permalink

Rockin space bruddah

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-28 4:39 pm   Permalink

Hi Derek, looking at your place always makes me smile a big smile. Been needing more of those lately so the latest post was well timed.
What an inspiration your place is. (hmmm, say that with a Yoda voice and it sounds even better).

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
Aloha, my Tiki friend,
John

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-02 9:28 pm   Permalink

updates
We have a roofline over the bar and some custom lighting and carving up top.

Enjoy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation