FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Badd Tiki's Stuff - New Lava Bowls /pele swap piece - page 2
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Badd Tiki's Stuff - New Lava Bowls /pele swap piece - page 2
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-28 09:56 am   Permalink

Last night I did my first acrylic on canvas. Kindof rough and there are some things I want to touch up. Completely different than what I bought this canvas for but it was kindof a spur of the moment 'just gotta do something'.

So I present 'Midnight Lono'

I updated a bit, camera flash is bad and lighting isn't good right now...
I'd love any comments, when I started I planned on it being more realistc wood looking, then I just started to throw paint at it and see where it went.
I don't know if I should put a price on it, ebay auction and see what someone is willing to pay...
It's rough an primitive for sure, not like the finely crafted paintings that quite a few people around here do.
Do you guys think something like this is worth $100? Should I try for more?
It's a 3d canvas 12" x 32"

And here's my wip shrunken head swap piece. Still not gonna give away 'what' it is yet, other than a shrunken tiki head 'something'. However I have decided it won't be a pair, just one. Taken a bit longer than I thought, a bit larger than I thought, and I'm really not happy with #2's progess. Still have to finish the shape, wrap it in paper and glue, then paint it.

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2010-06-09 17:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-07-18 18:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-07-18 19:03 ]

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 09:19 am   Permalink

Did another painting last night. Again, didn't turn out how I had originally planned or imagined it...I really wish I had put the shark 2" lower.

This one is16"x40. I like painting this size, but it ate up ALOT of paint. This could be an expensive hobby. I think this one is done.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-03 10:26 am   Permalink

Creative stuff!

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-14 7:03 pm   Permalink

Not 'tiki' I guess, but tropical anyway. Just working on more acrylic, looking for subjects that are colorful. Trying to lay down some paint and not get caught up in details too much. I feel that I almost get better results being rough and quick, not over analyzing too much, not working it too much... Keeping it loose.

Plus I've always liked paintings with alot of texture and streaks of color that kindof mix together. This one didn't take too long once I got the right subject, but it took 2 weeks and a few paint overs to get to that point.

I saw a flock of wild peacocks in Hawaii, was pretty cool. Same bike ride I also saw a little wild pig 'squeal squeal squeal'.
(guess he thought I was gonna eat him)

And I've done morew work on my 2010 shrunken head swap piece, has a ways to go yet.

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2010-03-14 19:05 ]

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-14 7:09 pm   Permalink

that shrunken head is lookin totally cool!
like it was from flintstone land or somethin!
nice body of work!
moremoremore!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 04:34 am   Permalink

I love that shark, so lose with the brush, nice!

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 11:38 am   Permalink

Thanks guys.

Keep having ideas for Tiki paintings, but kindof stuck on animals right now. I thought of this one the other day and it took presedence.

11x30" 3d canvas.

I'm really diggin big brushes, so it requires big canvas'. So I think to do much Tiki stuff I'm gonna have to go a little smaller on brush size so I can get a Tiki AND a backdrop in.

Kindo have an idea for a toucan, so maybe it'll be a tropical bird next.

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 12:30 pm   Permalink

Spent a little longer on this one, went for more detail than my other stuff.

Also figured it was time to get a little more tiki.

My first Maori.5x7" - I was gonna put a bit of tiki pattern in the background, but once I started adding patterns to him I figured it would be too busy.

Bad pic as usual.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 3:26 pm   Permalink

The maori hei tiki looks awesome, love the shark painting too.

There's an Aussie artist who uses the 'lottsa paint and a trowel' method called Ben Quilty. A close up of one of his paintings

This painting is 6 foot by 7 foot - Imagine how much paint he uses!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 4:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hewey. That's a cool painting, would be really fun to work that large. The room I work in is smaller than that He's gotta buy paint in gallon buckets I imagine, I've been going through 200 ml tubes (the biggest ones the store has) pretty quickly.

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 07:52 am   Permalink

Great colors and rawness
on that Maori Boy!
it really IS all about the gaze....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-28 10:07 am   Permalink

'The Hunt'

Well, this canvas started as a hula girl in a vertical format. I laid down a base and just wasn't happy with the composition so it sat around for a few days. Then I had this idea. I had thought about having 2 or 3 hunters but just didn't feel there'd be enough room for details.

Just kindof roughed in right now for composition and color checks/covering up the hula girl mistake.

Let me know what you think.

(did the greyscale just to examine the values)

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-03 8:13 pm   Permalink

Working on a few more pieces. Working on values, then overlaying color in thin layers.

I just brushed this in, not much planning, working on values and I thought a bird roostin might be funny, but I'm not sure how I want to finish. Maybe just a tiki print background?

Working on another Hei, this ones about 11x14

And a pirate gaurding his booty in a tropical cave. (although he's looking more like a forest ranger right now

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-03 8:29 pm   Permalink

Very nice stuff Badd. I love the concept of the hornbill on the Moai, waiting to see some colors now. Nice park ranger

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-03 10:21 pm   Permalink

i agree with mike...for once!
Hornbill on the Moai is a pretty cool concept
that you can run with and advance
and usher in a new way of looking at a Moai!
Bravo!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation