FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Badd Tiki's Stuff - New Lava Bowls /pele swap piece - page 2
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Badd Tiki's Stuff - New Lava Bowls /pele swap piece - page 2
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-04 12:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-07 4:12 pm   Permalink

New wip.

Been seeing some paintings in this style lately and I really dig it. Still need to touch up the black lines. The color on the right is a bit dark and the colors overall aren't quite as bright as in real life.

Still I feel like it's missing something, not sure yet...

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 09:09 am   Permalink

I guess it was missing texture, color, etc... Still a work in progress but getting closer.

Moai Island (working title)

And another I got a bit of work done on.
The Spirit of Palm

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-14 8:29 pm   Permalink

Working on a new canvas, think I'm happy with the head so I'll show it.

This head is about 5x8 inches of the canvas.

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2010-04-14 20:32 ]

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 08:06 am   Permalink

NICE LATEST BATCH!
adding the texture on the Moai Island piece really popped it!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 11:46 am   Permalink

Badd, your stuff is looking o'so good!

Any updates on the hunter piece? or the hornbill-ed Moai?

Peace,
Jason <><

View Profile of TikiDaye Send a personal message to TikiDaye      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 11:55 am   Permalink

Thanks guys.

No progress on those other pieces yet. I really good at starting things and not so good at finishing them. But I did finish my swap piece so I'm using that for motivation

I still feel like I'm deep in the acrylic learning curve and most of my stuff right now is being painted 3+ times... Just trying to get in my groove still I think, but I feel like I'm getting there.

I'll probably work on 'the hunt' more this weekend. Also going to try some 'medium' in my paint this weekend, acrylics do dry fast and water makes it hard to keep them consistant. Hopefully the medium will get me right in between. (it is called medium after all

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 5:54 pm   Permalink

Well, I haven't been doing anything lately, kindof got burnt out on painting/not getting what I want out of it.
Thinking about doing some more 3d stuff lately and thinking about birds for the next swap (it is gonna be birds right? lol)

Anyway, I started on a 'birdman mask'. Recycled Pizza boxes and masking tape right now. Once I get the shape all done I'll be putting a good solid coat of recycled paper over the top, then painting it.

Not sure yet if the paint will be tiki'ish (carved wood and paint) or feathery.

Don't think it'll be a swap piece but maybe something similar. Will be wearable or for hanging on a wall.

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-09 6:22 pm   Permalink

That bird mask is looking pretty cool!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-18 6:00 pm   Permalink

Well, this thread is being resurrected lol.

Been taking a ceramics class, ceramics one so it's mostly all throwing (which is what I want to do anyway).

Just posted this over in the pele swap thread, not fired yet so the glaze colors don't look right. But it's ready to go
Threw the bowl, the volcano base and the volcano 'shot', then combined the last two.

It's about 6-8" diameter. Guessing it could hold 24-32 oz of delicious beverage.

Today I decided to throw a couple more lava bolws. Maybe I can sell them...
Decided to do a Moai and a palm one this time. Still need bisqued and glazed. And gotta clean up all the little clay poops when it's nice and dry.

These are a bit larger than the first. I didn't weight the clay on the first but these took a 5lb ball of clay each and a 2-3 lb ball for both of the volcanoes.

I'm going to try and sell the lava bowls, possibly Etsy or Ebay but have no idea what I should ask. Does $50 each sound like too much? It took about 6 hours to make them both (still have an hour of glazing probably). Maybe $10 for clay.
They are hand built originals

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-07-18 18:06 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-18 9:11 pm   Permalink

I was taking a handbuilding class a few years back and had a chance to do some throwing. I passed it up because it was too boring to make symetrical objects. I have since figured out I was WRONG!!!! and that sometimes that would be very useful

Your forms look great, I'm excited to see the finished projects.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 4:34 pm   Permalink

Let's see, pics of finished tiki stuff...those bowls mainly. I've tried many different art mediums over the years and I'm REALLY digging ceramics right now. It really feels like I've found my medium, I still need tons of practice but I can't get enough

This was el numero tres: I sent this off to TravelingJones for the pele swap after the first one I made/sent was stepped on by an elephant (and possibly not packed well)

And numero uno, the tiki bowl that is no more

This one was the second bowl I made. Holds 24 oz of liquid and a shot in the volcano. It's up for sale on Ebay.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43920&forum=12&start=last&0

Sake sets also seem to be fairly popular so I figured I'd make one. This one was slab built.
(It's also up on ebay in same post as above)

And I'm working on some cups. Maybe not so much tiki but I'd working on some designs that are a bit 60-70's shag-a-rific
These were water etched, I've got a Marque design about to be fired that I'll post in a week or two.

Will definitely be doing some tiki faces on these, and maybe whole tikis if i can get them taller (about 5-6 inches now and 12 oz)

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-09-24 16:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2012-09-24 16:45 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-24 6:00 pm   Permalink

"I've tried many different art mediums over the years and I'm REALLY digging ceramics right now. It really feels like I've found my medium..."

I know exactly how you feel!

The volcano bowls turned out really cool and the sake set glaze is beautiful. Tell me more about water etching, looks similar to a shellac resist technique.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 12:04 pm   Permalink

thanks MDM,

Yeah it's just shellac resist, but I've seen it called water carving, etching,etc... We had a discussion in class and everyone had their own terms, lol. But i also used wax resist for the glaze on the argyle piece so...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation