FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Pao Pao Hut
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Pao Pao Hut
seafoamer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-23 4:38 pm   Permalink

I like small spaces, & I like very much what you've done with yours!

View Profile of seafoamer Send a personal message to seafoamer  Email seafoamer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-24 08:10 am   Permalink

In response to the right reverend, good doctor, Freddie Freelance...

"One thing I have to confess is bugging me: that Lampshade."

ME TOO!! It hasn't yet driven me to despair or to climb the cliffs of insanity, but yeah... it's got to go. Thanks for your recommendations. Will try to fix 'er up ASAP.

As always, thanks for the kudos and comments. I know this room, as a whole, is a real mash-up of disparate themes and what-not, and the purists may have some difficulty with it, but rest assured, I'm a purist at heart and when I finally have a house to call my own, we will do-it-right! In the meantime, I'm making notes of all the ideas I plan to "borrow" from fellow TCers when the time comes...

Mahalo!

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-26 08:26 am   Permalink

"quote"I wanted to incorporate some Googie influence in the design and got some idea from this photo...

hey ashman_atl....saw this back a page or two and had to smile, I took this quick photo when driving a couple of months ago of the local old car-wash for sign ideas also....

I think it's a great piece of history that and the fact that it and many of the old motel signs work well for us to use as inspirations

[ This Message was edited by: ka'lenatiki 2010-06-26 08:28 ]

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-26 11:21 am   Permalink

ka'lenatiki-
Thanks for the note! I sure do love the old Googie design elements and hopefully someday when I have more space to "spread out" will incorporate more of those cool shapes and such into my lounge/bar. Sadly, with the exception of a few old diners/coffee shops, there is tragically little in the way of "space-age" design to brag about here in Atlanta. I do have a bit of Cali-envy, but it is what it is, so I do what I can to bring a little cool to the old south...

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-08 12:28 am   Permalink

I love the feel of you closet bar. There is a lot of detail in the work.

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-13 8:42 pm   Permalink

Too busy lately for any big projects, but a few additions around the hut... Working behind the bar instead of on it, but that's the idea.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-22 11:33 am   Permalink

You did an awesome job...crammed a lot of fab decor into a small space...it looks very inviting. Good lighting effects too.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Mitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-23 4:27 pm   Permalink

Congratulations! what a fantastic job you have done. An inspiration for those of us with limited space. Well done.

View Profile of Trader Mitch Send a personal message to Trader Mitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 09:20 am   Permalink

I could drink there. My highest praise. Well done.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-25 09:34 am   Permalink

Still awesome and still making me jealous!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 7:29 pm   Permalink

LOVE what you've done with the place Ashman-atl, truly extraordinary how you've managed
to cram so much soul into such a small space.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-28 09:52 am   Permalink

Looks like Tiki Ti's in there!!!

TORA! TORA! TORA!

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-31 09:41 am   Permalink

Wow! Thanks to all for the kind encouragements. It's definitely motivating me to push the envelope and come up with some stuff to make the space even better! In no time, I made a list of about a dozen small projects to work on over the next week or two. Time is at a premium now, though, as my lease will run out in July of 2012. Summer is at hand and plenty of opportunities for cocktail socials, so I should be able to get plenty more enjoyment out of this escape before it's time to take it all down...

But, I'm also starting to think about the new and improved Pao Pao Hut... This weekend, a neighbor announced that "free" bamboo was available and I quickly stacked up a load in the boot and hauled it back to the house.

Here it is stacked up outdoors:

Any advice as to drying/curing is appreciated! I've heard that drying outdoors is too wet (high humidity here) and indoors too dry... Bending, twisting, splitting also seem to be issues to overcome and I have no experience with the fresh stuff. This is black bamboo, but most of it is too young to have changed color yet; don't know how it will look when dried...

Gotta get back to work!

Cheers!

liltikichef
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-05 3:31 pm   Permalink

I rent too and have VERY limited space; your bar is such an inspiration!!!! I'm on a very tight budget as well and just starting my collection. I live in Columbus GA and planning my first trip to Trader Vic's. Any suggestions? lol Thanks for all the photos!

View Profile of liltikichef Send a personal message to liltikichef      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I. M. Transpose

Posted: 2011-06-14 9:16 pm   Permalink

This is awesome! And very inspiring - I'm also renting & have not much space, but seeing what you've done is a real motivation. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on the hut!

View Profile of I. M. Transpose Send a personal message to I. M. Transpose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation