FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Is there a Beachbum Berry Remixed Update?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
Is there a Beachbum Berry Remixed Update?
forrestcokely

Posted: 2010-04-27 08:48 am   Permalink

Here is my review of Remixed (more like a praise-a-thon) here:

Also here is the chance to meet Jeff 'Beachbum' Berry, Tiki mixmaster/Historian and all around great guy, at Caña (LA's newest Rum Bar) for the book release party of Beachbum Berry Remixed and rock out to some of the 'Bum's' own cocktails.
This WEDNESDAY, APRIL 28, 2010 at Cana Rum Bar, 7PM

View Profile of forrestcokely Send a personal message to forrestcokely  Goto the website of forrestcokely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-29 8:05 pm   Permalink

Last night's "Remixed" party at Cana (where IS that squiggly thing that goes over the "n"?) was terrific. Great atmosphere, great crowd of Tiki friends and WHAT A WONDERFUL BOOK! It is a wonderful addition to everyone's home bar. Jeff Berry signed books for all, and was a charming host. And Cana is a lovely bar, definitely worth checking out, and conveniently located about one block down from Trader Vic's L.A. Live.

Having read earlier posts, I applaud the ingenuity some of you had to get "Remixed" spiral bound at Kinko's. When I interviewed Mr. Berry recently for Tiki Magazine (the story will be in the next issue) he agreed that the spiral bound makes sense for how they're used, but told me that the problem has been that most major bookstores will NOT sell spiral-bound books! This has actually hampered his book sales in the past. So, please be understanding that, as creative people who need to earn a living, we sometimes have to make choices like potential sales volume over daily practicality.

Much Aloha,

Kari Hendler

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 10:15 am   Permalink

Indeed, a wonderful time, with so many old friends coming together. Even Ted Haigh appeared. No one can deny the Bum. Besides the tasty concoctions on the menu, we got to try a 1929 Havana Rum Cordial that was brought in by an attending aficionado. The level of mixology at La Cana follows the tradition of the Doheny, and earlier that day the Bum shared his wisdom (and three different concoctions) with the new generation of L.A. craft mixologists:

The Bum speaks, we drink

A Bum-made beauty!

Thanks to Marcos Tello and the folks at Zaya Rum for facilitating the Bum's presence at this wonderful venue:

http://thirstyinla.com/2010/03/18/cana-rum-bar-soft-opens-tonight/

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 1:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-18 08:16, Hearn wrote:
The Bum explains the mystery of the missing recipes on his latest blog entry.

Wow. May I just say that being quoted in Beachbum Berry's blog is a true highlight of my tiki life.

I am definitely thinking of copying and spiral binding the jettisoned recipes from Grog Log and Intoxica. Any suggested titles for this new book? "Marooned Cocktails"? "Cocktails Adrift"? "Beachbum Defects"?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-04-30 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-30 13:16, arriano wrote:
... Any suggested titles for this new book? "Marooned Cocktails"? "Cocktails Adrift"? "Beachbum Defects"?

"Beachbum's Jetsam"?

"Jetsam Journal"?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 3:13 pm   Permalink

Here's one I'd like to see that I came up with back in 2007 ~

It might be a little thin but it would be a good appetizer to hold us over.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-04-30 4:00 pm   Permalink

"Other Rum"... Ha ha.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 2:19 pm   Permalink

On page 46 it mentions the next one "Potions of the Caribbean" I can't wait!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 10:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-21 08:37, Swanky wrote:
BK's recipes are there, trust me! Make sure you have it in your resources, not that it should matter as a default.

Basement Kahuna likes to use Cuarenta Y Tres (Licor 43). I've found two recipes so far that call for it.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-10 11:07 pm   Permalink

Does anyone else's copy have some sort of damage/printer error? I just got my copy off amazon and it has a line of holes from about page 106 to page 140. They go through several pages and also switch from a row on the top to a row on the bottom. I am trying to decide if I want to return it or just live with the damage - I'll probably spill something on it anyway. It looks to be caused during the printing process so I'll just keep it if it is a common problem since I can't imagine Amazon's return process is great. Any advice or thoughts are welcome.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-11 04:38 am   Permalink

Yours is the limited edition, will go for more $$$$ when and if you ever sell on e-Bay . . . just kidding! That's a printing mishap, you should return and get a replacement . . . don't forget to take the replacement to Kinko's add your own set of holes and have it spiral bound for ease of use in the field!

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-11 05:44 am   Permalink

Amazon is great about returns. I'd recommend getting a new one.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mermaid1111
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-26 08:40 am   Permalink

I can't find Beachbum Berry's explanation of why the recipes were omitted from Remixed. I checked his blog. Can't find the info. Is there a link to that part of the blog, or can someone tell me?

[ This Message was edited by: mermaid1111 2012-09-27 12:02 ]

View Profile of mermaid1111 Send a personal message to mermaid1111      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 1:00 pm   Permalink

Wow, I wish I'd ordered 10 or 15 copies, when I bought Remixed, just over a year ago,... for $16.47. I could sell them at a nice markup, and still give everyone a good deal.

(If I really HAD bought 15, though, I'm quite sure Remixed would be selling for $6.95, now!)

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mermaid1111
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-27 09:25 am   Permalink

There are two places to currently get brand new Beachbum Berry books at list price:
1: The manufacturer SLG publishing:
http://www.slgcomic.com or order by phone 1 877 754 7877
2: Kegworks: http://www.kegworks.com/ or order by phone 877-636-3673.
Both places sell the books for the same price. Remixed is $24.95
SLG has free shipping if you spend more than $25 and they send it standard mail.
Kegworks does not have free shipping but it automatically goes priority.
My suggestion is that if you don't spend $25, order from Kegworks and it will go priority, but if you spend $25 or more, order from SLG and get free standard shipping.

[ This Message was edited by: mermaid1111 2012-09-27 11:49 ]

View Profile of mermaid1111 Send a personal message to mermaid1111      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation