FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » The Kanaloa Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
The Kanaloa Lounge
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 10:12 am   Permalink

Hello, my name is Slacks and I put a television in my home tiki bar...I wanted to have the flexibilty to watch movies in my basement, or be able to find another TV when my kids or wife are dominating the one upstairs.

...now before you go grab your pitchforks, hear me out! I think there can be ways in which a TV can "work" in a tiki bar. Ways in which it might even be...dare I say it?...an asset! Sure, one could just play surf videos (or any other beachy-themed video)... but I also wanted to have it disguised (and even contribute to the atmosphere) when I was entertaining folks in the bar.

So here's what I came up with:

It's a removable tiki head that goes over the TV. When I have folks over, I can just place the head on the TV and play a video. I found a Blue-Ray set on eBay that has fireplaces, aquariums, etc.

Things to consider if you do this: make the head as lightweight as possible. I used the box and packing styrofoam that the TV came with. And I added more foam to it. I also had to keep over-heating issues in mind.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I think I still want to tinker with reshaping the head a little. It just seems too "boxy".

Here's a bad photo of it with the fireplace video:

Thoughts?

I'm gonna add this to the TV in a tiki bar thread too...

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-05-31 10:16 am   Permalink

Slacks nails it!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 11:02 am   Permalink

I dunno Slacks, thin edge of the wedge. What next - neon beer signs? Jello shots? Party store piñatas?

Nah, pretty clever. I wouldn't have even bothered with a sheath. It's your home, do what you like. That's this man's opinion.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-31 4:52 pm   Permalink

Slacks it looks fab and love the TV cover. Let your freak flag fly and do what you want in your own space...you wild man!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 08:23 am   Permalink

Super sweet...love the mural and rock wall

View Profile of tikirancher Send a personal message to tikirancher  Email tikirancher Goto the website of tikirancher     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-09 12:03 pm   Permalink

Mr. Ferret, The Kanaloa Lounge is unbelievably cool! I love everything about it. Great job eh

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
turbosickboy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-10 02:28 am   Permalink

I´m about to put a tv in my tiki room as well, so i can use it as a second living room.

I like your idea with the removable head... Great!

And the crocodiles are rocking in the Crockodile-creek

View Profile of turbosickboy Send a personal message to turbosickboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-28 9:33 pm   Permalink

It looks good good...keep it

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-07 08:18 am   Permalink

Some new pics to highlight some recent updates:

New puffer lamp, new orange float lamp (that my buddy the glassblower made for me), and a new "ceramic as bamboo" lamp (that my co-worker found for me)...

Another angle of the lamps.

The bar with a top green leafy garland and mo' pretty flowers.

Soon I'm gonna be installing a waterfall/fountain feature in the front angled-corner alcove of the bar (But it's hard to see in this photo).I really have very little idea what I'm doing, so I'll try to post photo updates as I go...

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-07 09:03 am   Permalink

Slacks,

The Kanaloa lounge just keeps getting better and better. Fantastic job!

Keep up the good work and please keep posting.

Cheers and Aloha,
Q

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-07 09:14 am   Permalink

What an amazing space. The moon & the fish tank are just great details.

[ This Message was edited by: Big Kahuna 2013-03-10 07:19 ]

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-07 09:44 am   Permalink

Thanks for the pictures! They are great, I could just sit in the chair in the first two for hours and hours.

Mahalo!
Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 11:13 am   Permalink

Mahalos for all the nice replies folks! Here's a better look at the new "ceramic as Bamboo" lamp I recently received:

Here's a better shot of the Alcove that I'll be turning into a waterfall/fountain soon:

Here's a $#!++Y concept sketch done in MS Paint:

Mahalos!

WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-08 12:20 pm   Permalink

Cool lamp! Waiting for the waterfall/fountain to commence.

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-09 5:04 pm   Permalink

I like your water feature idea. Let me know if you need any help. I can, uh... supervise. And drink.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation