FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Kanaloa Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
The Kanaloa Lounge
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-07 8:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the kind words folks!

Here's a few updates:

Phase 218: I started to convert the support beam into a "palm tree".
It's actually further along than this photo suggests, but not much...

Here's a few shots of the ceiling with the shells and netting up. I was gifted a huge net (like this is only about 30% of it) by my Maritimer father in law...but the net was white, so I dyed it dark-brownish. Then I hot-glued dozens of shells to the ceiling and I threw some shells directly onto the nets (but you can hardly tell from the photos):

That's all for now! Thanks for checking in!

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-09-07 08:52 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 11:50 am   Permalink

Underachiever.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-11 12:25 am   Permalink

Man thats awesome,dig the lava shelving in the bar.Cheers Watango

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-07 7:45 pm   Permalink

I got tired of looking at this big white eyesore:

So I took a photo of the bamboo directly below the switch and had it developed in a 5 x 7 size like this:

And glued it to the light-switch plate like this:

And voila!:

A better camouflage, don't you think?

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-09-07 20:29 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-08 07:10 am   Permalink

Yes, much better. I just went through the entire thread and you have done an amazing job decorating this room. I love the lava wall, and how the plants are coming out of the bamboo wall. Would be nice to see some more pictures of the entire place all put together.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 9:15 pm   Permalink

A few other updates:

More done in the Nautical/aquarium corner:

I'm loving this area of the lounge. I know not everyone loves mixing nautical with their tiki...and I respect that, But for me, it's really reminiscent of Bahookas...and I love that place.

I installed a 7 watt lamp above my bar sink. It was just way too frickin' dark before. Now I can see the glasses I'm rinsing out:

What's nice about this lamp is the bottom is removable...so I'm essentially directing the low wattage light exactly where I need it (without affecting the nearby mural with excess light).

I've got more "Nautical" wood up on the last wall:

So that's coming along...

And I starting doing more to convert that support post into a palm tree:

Still lots of stuff to do yet, but I'm getting closer to ...er...(done?).

Thanks for checking up on me!

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-14 9:20 pm   Permalink

Stop it already...you are really making the rest of us look bad!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 10:41 am   Permalink

OK, I was gonna post my progress. Now, I think I'll wait til this thread sinks a little lower down the page. Amazing work Slacks. Makes me wanna make contact with my inner genius & get a bit more creative than just hanging' stuff!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 8:11 pm   Permalink

I'm still tripping on how awesome that lava rock wall/shelving unit turned out! The nautical nook is coming along splendidly (I love the Royal Family Squid mugs also...one of my favorite buys); I can't wait to see how it looks all finished up. I wished that I had more space for that look in my bar, but I didn't so I ended up doing it in my bathroom! Keep up the good work!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 10:09 am   Permalink

Thanks folks. I appreaciate the feedback. And Kahalakruzer...you've got one of the coolest tiki spaces for something in an apartment. I'm amazed at what you've pulled off in such a condensed space.

Anyone have suggestions on what I should wrap around the "palm trunk"? I'm thinking a sort of plaster/guaze combo which can withstand a few drunken tackles...

mahalo!

Crowntiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-17 12:07 pm   Permalink

Thank God someone in the family is talented... Place looks amazing. Truly amazing. Can't wait to see it sometime soon.

View Profile of Crowntiki Send a personal message to Crowntiki  Goto the website of Crowntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 1:07 pm   Permalink

Crowntiki: You know I'd love to host you up here anytime you can get here! Cheers!

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-11 8:38 pm   Permalink

Some more progress shots:

In Late October I had the nautical wall mostly done, just wanted to do a lava-rock treatment to the rest of the wall, as a sort of continuation of the mural, and to balance the effect of the lava rock shelves:

Later I painted them black. Here's what the wall looks like done, but I still haven't hung all the art yet:

I added a totally fake float lamp in the nautical corner, but I fear it's still too bright:

I added more to the fake palm post, but I still need to do a bark treatment in the light grey area:

Here's those 3 recent elements all together:

I added my collection of Chinese rickshaw hats to my ceiling:

The ceiling in this portion of the lounge is still not done, but it's close. I just want to add bamboo strips to hide the black seams (and of course add a bunch more lamps, flotsam, jetsom, etc.:

Doo doodle Doot doot!

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-11-11 20:40 ]

rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-11 10:49 pm   Permalink

Nice!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 07:26 am   Permalink

You're making some really good decisions, my friend!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation