FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Drink recipes using passion fruit syrup, please
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Drink recipes using passion fruit syrup, please
Dave in the basement

Posted: 2010-03-02 09:18 am   Permalink

Hello all,

I had my first Hurricane over the weekend, and now I am in search of other great drinks that use passion fruit syrup. If you have some favorites, please list them here.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!

Dave

View Profile of Dave in the basement Send a personal message to Dave in the basement  Email Dave in the basement     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 09:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-02 09:18, Dave in the basement wrote:
Hello all,

I had my first Hurricane over the weekend, and now I am in search of other great drinks that use passion fruit syrup. If you have some favorites, please list them here.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!

Dave

Head to The Grogalizer and get signed up. Click all the stuff in your bar, including Passion Fruit Syrup. Then after you click the search, do a "Special Search" at the top of the recipes found page and click PassionFruit Syrup. That will show you all you can make from the Bum's books...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 09:29 am   Permalink

Oh, an d if you are buying, look for Monin online or on the Grogalizer page there is a link for PFS that takes you to Aunty Lilkoi's.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-03-02 09:38 am   Permalink

Swanky is right. Pick up all of Beachbum Berry's books and then use the Grogalizer. You're going to find that passion fruit syrup is a very common ingredient found in many great drinks.

My latest favorite drink that uses passion fruit syrup is the Saturn as found in Taboo Table (pg87).
Lemon juice, passion fruit syrup, falernum, orgeat and gin. Good stuff.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Staredge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 10:30 am   Permalink

My favorite, the Reverb Crash

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8992&forum=10&hilite=reverb crash

View Profile of Staredge Send a personal message to Staredge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 1:32 pm   Permalink

Donn Beach's "Cobra's Fang" is one of my personal favorites. But any take on the 151 swizzle always pleases me.

TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 4:01 pm   Permalink

One of my most favourite cocktails, although not a Tiki drink, is;

30ml Bourbon
30ml Calvados (you could use Applejack)
30ml Passion fruit syrup
dash of lemon juice
dash of orange flower water

I use Monin Passion fruit syrup and cut it back a little bit so that it's not too sweet.

Name escapes me at the moment(i think it's called The Avenue), but it's from the Ted Haigh book Forgotten Drinks and Vintage Spirits.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hearn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-04 05:50 am   Permalink

Whatever drink you make...I HIGHLY reccomend Aunty Lilikoi Passion Fruit Syrup (from Hawaii...you can order 4 bottles online for around $40...expensive but seriously worth it).

I had been using Finest Call for awhile, and it was perfectly fine, but Aunty's is a whole new level...

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-08 6:53 pm   Permalink

I'll second that "Reverb Crash" it's dakine....

I use the Maui Passion Syrup from the Maui Jelly Factory.. good stuff..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-09 08:24 am   Permalink

I recently did some clean-up on the Grogalizer. Used to have 3 or 4 PFS varieties listed, but they all went down in flames. Trader Vic's, Torani, they all changed and were not good. So, now it just has one option and a link to Aunty Lilkoi's. To me, theirs is much like TV, which was my standard, but it is even better. I bought 4 bottles at a time and it came in one box, which helped cut the shipping cost. Just shake it up before pouring.

BTW, I found Passion Fruit Nectar on the shelf at Whole Foods. Not refridgerated. Might have it near you.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 9:46 pm   Permalink

Here are the drinks where i found passion fruit syrup made big difference (as opposed to using juice):

Hurricane (for the better, provided that one uses only a half to one ounce for each two oz of rum)

Cobra Fang (makes it too tart, liked it better w/juice which allowed the rums to show more)

Chief Lapu Lapu (improves)

Reverb Crash (better than with juice only)

I found the Spievak zombie too tart, whether using syrup or juice.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-03 08:07 am   Permalink

Chief Lapu Lapu and Spindrift are my favorites. In fact, they are practically the same drink.

I make my own PFS but a strange, little, strip mall store near my office carries Auntie Lilikoi.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-03 7:02 pm   Permalink

I like Pieces of Eight ( from Remixed)

1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
1 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup
1 1/2 oz. light Puerto Rican rum
4 oz. (1/2 cup) crushed ice.

just plain simple and good.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Markm3

Posted: 2011-06-07 9:06 pm   Permalink

Yup, Cobras fang, or the similar sidewinders fang, both two of my favorites.

View Profile of Markm3 Send a personal message to Markm3      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-02 12:29 pm   Permalink

I also really enjoy the replica Ray's Mistake recipes that include passionfruit syrup.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation