FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Lanai Apartments, Stockton, CA (apartments)
Lanai Apartments, Stockton, CA (apartments)
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 08:19 am   Permalink

Name:Lanai Apartments
Type:apartments
Street:351 Glendora Ave
City:Stockton
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
These apartments are now called the Glendora Apartments.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 09:00 am   Permalink

I came across this phone book add last summer while doing research at the local library.

I got my camera and set out to investigate this Tiki Village of the past. When I arrived i was very disappointed. There was very little Tiki Modern left in this place. I waited till some local villagers were going inside then slipped in behind them through the locked gate. Again disappointed I didn't even take any pictures. I had other archaeological projects that were more important so I filed this place away.

Recently I received this postcard image of the Lanai from the author of "Stockton in Vintage Postcards", Alice van Ommeren. Thank you Alice! The postcard lists Modern Tropical Living and is postmarked 1967. I'll revisit this place, take some pics to show a before and after perspective.

Happy Hunting!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 7:16 pm   Permalink

I just got back from a little Tiki excursion to Stockton and The Lani. I met with the Village Chiefs and had a nice talk about the place. They said they would look for some artifacts that might still be around.

Here's the photos from this latest trip.

A comparison, in its prime and the devolution we have so often seen before.

Close up of the office area, no more Tiki torch.

Interior courtyard, typical MC type apartment stairs.

Swimming pool is not filled in with dirt! That's good.

Outriggers cut off and you can also see where the balcony was cut out.

The badmitton courts were here. I was told they also had shuffle board that was common back then.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 10:48 pm   Permalink

Great you found that postcard source. I must say though that finding these rather "sparse" examples of the genre would have not made me jump out of my skin and run to make a book about Tiki style.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 11:07 am   Permalink

Hey BigBro! Yeah, it's sparse, but we take what we can get in Stockton! But if you had written a book on that sparse style, it would be just as awesome as BOT!

Another excellent expedition, Abstractiki!

I wonder why they removed the balconies? Too tiki for this day and age?

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation