FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Mid-Century Hawaiian Albums On CD?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mid-Century Hawaiian Albums On CD?
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-27 10:23 pm   Permalink

Fifty Guitars Return To Paradise

Lani Laurens Surfing At Waikiki Beach

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-28 08:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-20 13:22, Kaiwaza wrote:
I also really like the Al Caiola CD which seems to get few mentions oddly in Tiki Central. The LP recordings can be found on Reader's Digest LP set "Aloha Hawaii" and also on some easy listening set they did..."Dinner Music" or something. Anyway, this CD has pulled Caiola's Hawaiian material all together. His arrangements have a foot in both easy Hawaiian AND exotica...the songs are FULL of bird calls and ocean waves, wind chimes, exotic intros, etc. It would mix in with any tiki bar quite well.

I just got this CD...it's really good! The exotica tunes on it very much remind me of the Tikiyaki Orchestra!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-23 08:52 am   Permalink

This is a great thread because when these vintage albums get reissued on CD, there is little fanfare and they easily slip back out of print and are gone!

I have started compiling a database of albums on CD. I started with stuff released in Japan only. Here is a link to what I have so far:
http://digitiki.com/japanesecds.htm

Also, I can't stress it enough: Go do searches on iTunes' store and other music digital download stores. Almost monthly I find vintage Hawaiian LPs that I never expected to see the light of day, that are leased ONLY as digital downloads - no CD is ever pressed. Many times, these are directly from the master tapes and it will probably be the only time these will be available officially in a digital format! I preach it all the time: If you like it, buy it. Your purchase will help encourage the execs to hopefully look at other vintage titles in the future---I'm still hoping for Gene Rains!!!!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation