FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts the simple PUFFER FLOAT LAMP pictures
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
the simple PUFFER FLOAT LAMP pictures
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-10 10:47 am   Permalink

So this is the cheapy TIKIVILLE way to dazzle your rum'd out pals under a glowing puffer globe
Ya can use a dremmel to drill a hole in the dried out puffer

then with the "thumb" sized hole in the top of the fish

I searce the second hand stores for discarded childs desk lamps like this ...

to get this outta the inside,

see the socket has this clip that hold the works nicely into the puffer like this
and the low wattage has alot less chance of too much heat

see the happy fish!

I dont have a picture of the glass flower bowl/fishtank but if you go to your craft store ( in this case Michaels) they sell em for about 9 bucks,the hole in the top is wide enough for a medium sized puffer ,ya may have to snip a bit of the spikes here and there.
I dont have access to large real glass floats or the ability to saw a hole in them but as you can see the finished product looks just fine.I hit it VERY lightly with a spit of glass frosting spray to age the glass and help with the glow.
Here is what the top looks like ( next to the ceiling that nobody will see)

the net is easy enough to tie it's just alot of time on knots or you can really "dude" out and use a cargo /fishing net and just wrap and sinch it .
AND here is what they will see when you turn the house lights on and tell em " ya dont have to go home but ya cant stay here"

the finished product all lit up with excitment!

MAHALO for the intrest and good luck!

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-10 10:55 am   Permalink

Looks really sweeet! Talk about stuffing a sharp spiny object into a small hole. Talent. Thanks for the step by step instructions. Keep um coming.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-10 10:57 am   Permalink

Tikiville -

For my 700th TC post I'd like to say Thank You for this cool primer on puffer fish/glass globe making...

I just contacted PolynesianPop this morning for specific info on where I could purchase the components in So. Cal. to build a couple lamps. Mr. PolyPop responded lightning quick with a parts list, a tool list and source for the puffers.

- Thanks to this thread I'm now going to check out Michaels for glass globes, and the neighborhood Goodwill for cheap childrens lamps to gut for the electrical components - I wasn't thinking the obvious for cheaper sources and I wasn't thinking glass bubbles in a fishnet. Getting turned-on like this is what I like best about the TC Ohana.

I'll post some finished work pics as soon as I finish these projects. Cheers! G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-10 12:10 pm   Permalink

Nice! Everyone should own a dremel!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-10 1:08 pm   Permalink

Nice job Tikiville

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-10 3:37 pm   Permalink

Man I like the aging thing you did!!
You know try puting enough rope outside this summer
to do a light.
I think it will take no more than 6? months to get all old looking.
This will not work on nylon rope.
good job!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-10 4:29 pm   Permalink

The rope/string I used for this one is cotton clothsline cord...a little pricey at 3.50 a bag but 2 bags in enough for a bigger glass.
I'm thinkin it could use a little amber shellac too !
( oh and some sea foam green paint on a rag to dab in that barnicle rusty look)
Thanks for the compliments !,I'll try to come up with some more " how I do its "

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-10 5:38 pm   Permalink

Man, I was tripping out on how good that thing looked from the pic you posted on my thread, wondering how you did it...then I see this thread and realize it's the same exact way I did mine! We just used a different knot tying approach, and cotton vs. nylon rope. I love the sprayed frost you did, cool touch...I was worried about fogging the whole thing, so I just hit mine with sporadic sanding. I'll try the spray next time.
Also, those clipped candelabra bulb sets can usually be found at the hardware store, prewired if that's the route you want to go. They run right around $5 down here.
Awesome work!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-10 5:41 pm   Permalink

Great looking lamps, thanks for sharing guys!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-10 5:48 pm   Permalink

Nice light kruzer!!
I'm sure when you got into it you went DAM
I needed more stringers going up the light!
Thats why your squares got kinda streched in centro.
AND now that you did it you know what I'm saying.
But great job!

And on the barnicle look thing you could try glues or plaster painted.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-10 6:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-10 17:48, tikiskip wrote:
Nice light kruzer!!
I'm sure when you got into it you went DAM
I needed more stringers going up the light!
Thats why your squares got kinda streched in centro.
AND now that you did it you know what I'm saying.
But great job!

And on the barnicle look thing you could try glues or plaster painted.

Yea I wanted to try it w/a small diameter line to keep the puffer as a focal point, but I couldn't use any more sections of line because of the flat base of the bowl. I would have had to make the starting ring a bit larger, which would show the flat bottom more. The problem is, when I made the first two rows, it was as tight as a damn coaster! But you're right, one more strand would have been nicer for the central spacing on the bowl. I need to learn the other way of tying the netting, like how Tikiville made his float net. Anyone want to show me how?!?!

Sorry for the thread derail... Great work Tikiville!

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 08:18 am   Permalink

great jobs and thanks for the post!! There is so many cool things that I see in the old bar pics that are almost imposable to find or way out of my budget. course now I seem to have 4 lights I'm working on building all at once

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 09:05 am   Permalink

Puffer lamps are cool, inside the glass bowl is a really cool touch too.

But I can't believe you dismantled a Dora the Shrunken Head Explora lamp though, those are rare

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 9:53 pm   Permalink

Tikiville, what size puffer did you use on yours? I have one of the bowls from Micheal's already.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-23 07:39 am   Permalink

Here's mine,
Look ma no glass!!!
And the fish is bigger than the hole on top/bottom.
So the net had to be tied around the fish.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation