FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Any opinions?
Any opinions?
Big Tiki D
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-12 06:07 am   Permalink

OK, so I've decided, after much trial and expense, that I really like DMT diamond sharpeners for keeping my chisels ready for action. Now I just have to figure out which sharpening jig to purchase so I can get nice clean, repeatable results when using those DMT sharpeners. I'm trying to decide between the Veritas system and the Kell jigs. Anyone got any thoughts? What are you using to keep your tools sharp?

View Profile of Big Tiki D Send a personal message to Big Tiki D      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-13 05:16 am   Permalink

I'm a Sandpaper kind of guy Big Tiki, using 220,400, 500 600 800 1000 1200 1500 and 2000, finishing up with reg rouge on a sheet of cereal box cardboard and this gives a mirror shine in just a few minutes..AND for just a few bux

The diamonds cut quick but you Still need to polish the edge after even the finest diamond (unless you get into the 6000 and up diamond grits.

Just my opinion.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-13 08:27 am   Permalink

Hi Ben, my opinion is that you are a master and there is a lot to learn from you, hugs, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Tiki D
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-13 09:06 am   Permalink

2000 grit?? That's freakin amazing! I have read up on doing honing on glass plates with various grades of sandpaper attached to them with with spray adhesive. But I have also heard from a few woodworkers and cabinet makers down at the local woodworking store, and their general opinion is that your tools need to be sharp enough to do what you need them to. At the moment I'm not doing any parquet or inlay work, and I don't see me ever doing anything with cabinets or fine furniture. So, I have to concede that you must get edges that you could perform surgery with, but I really don't think that I need edges that fine. Or do I? This is where I start to get confused. The DMT stones have done wonders for keeping my tools sharp. I think I just need a jig to get repeatable results. Does whacking into an unseen knot or nail do more harm to an edge honed with 2000 grit paper than it does to one sharpened with a lower grit? Like I said before, I am so confused...

[ This Message was edited by: Big Tiki D 2010-03-13 09:06 ]

View Profile of Big Tiki D Send a personal message to Big Tiki D      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Customkiis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-13 09:31 am   Permalink

I use the swiss chisels, which are made of a softer steel. I started sharpening my tools to 2000 grit and then honing them with a micro-abrasive (rouge) and then on raw leather. It worked OK, but they were never as sharp as they were when I first bought them. I then moved to a 4000 grit stone and that was much better, I now use a 6000 grit stone and they get as sharp as they were the day I bought them. Yesterday, I bought a 12,000 grit stone. Over kill? probably.

The finer the grit, the more polished the edge. Less scratch marks in your tool will equate to less friction, creating a smoother cut with less effort.

That's my 2 cents

View Profile of Customkiis Send a personal message to Customkiis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-14 12:04 pm   Permalink

Splitting the difference, I retouch all my edges every 10-15mins of carving. I use a clipboard with 220, 800, 1000, and 1500 grit sheets. A few passes on "most sheets" and I'm ready in about 1 minute to carve some more. Depending on the edge condition, I'll use every sheet.

I've seen the DMT, been interested in their use, so I am lurking here as well.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-14 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-13 09:06, Big Tiki D wrote:
don't think that I need edges that fine. Or do I?

How sharp is sharp enough?

Is there such a thing as too sharp?

Having watched Benzart carve I am thinking that he secretly has the power of telekinesis and simply wills the wood or stone to move out of the way of his tools.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation