FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Ports o Call, San Pedro, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Ports o Call, San Pedro, CA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-24 08:30 am   Permalink

Spotted this fan style menu that was used for drinks at all four restaurants (on ebay).

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-29 9:26 pm   Permalink

Another view of the Ports O' Call from the water. This one from the Feb 1963 issue of "American Yachtsman"

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-17 12:49 pm   Permalink

Just scored this great postcard from the Ports o Call restaurant in San Pedro. It is a double oversized postcard that also features the The Reef restaurant in Long Beach.

The back of the card provides a description of each photo.

Some close ups.

An exterior photo of the entrance with the lake. You can see a rickshaw standing at wait. Wonder if they borrowed that idea from the Islander restaurant in LA?

The Albatross Bar and Cocktail Lounge that looks like an old ship (borrowed from Steven Crane's Kon Tiki Ports White Cloud).

The Tahitian dining room.

Love those dark Tikis.

Next, the Waikiki Ballroom.

The last photo is actually from the SS Princes ship that docked at Ports o Call and must have traveled to Long Beach as it is featured in The Reef card as well.

A rendering from the back of the card.

A map showing both Ports o Call and The Reef locations.

And finally the description on the back of the card.

I posted the other part of the card in The Reef thread.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32146&forum=2&start=15&1717

Sweet score on this one!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-17 3:43 pm   Permalink

Jumbo Postcard luck is upon you, D.C.!

I wonder what happened to these guys...

They were clearly carved by Andres Bumatay, here the Royal Hawaiian Laguna Beach Tikis for comparison

Love the degree of his stretching the Tiki form to almost abstraction

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-09 9:19 pm   Permalink

I've been slowly going through and scanning my late mothers slides, photos and negatives, and came across this visit (one of a number) we made to Ports O' Call in September 1965 (at least that's the date on the Kodachrome slide).

I'm (Brent Walker) in the front with the nautical flag shirt. My brother Blair in in the stroller, grandpa Harry Walker's next to him, my dad Jack Walker is apparently pretending to be a tiki in the back, my mother Doris Walker took the shot. (Can't remember who the family is on the right, but they were friends of ours and look familiar.)

You can just see the top of the a-frame. Before anybody asks, this is the only shot (unfortunately), though there are a couple of photos of a kid marimba band elsewhere in Ports O' Call the same day.

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2012-10-10 07:37 am   Permalink

Yes, Ports O Call in San Pedro (Peedro, as the locals say it) is a completely different place now. It's cool to see the pics of the place in its former glory.
I still like to drive around and see the sights in San Pedro. They have embraced their maritime history more than Long Beach has and as a history buff I appreciate what they've preserved, or at least not torn down.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2013-06-22 4:48 pm   Permalink

DC-those pics of the interior of PoC are the first I have seen!! Fantastic!!! I can't believe how lame the inside is now in comparison. Thanks for the close ups of the images as well, I'm definitely doing a version of those tikis on the inside.

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-02-21 1:43 pm   Permalink

Found these in a bowl of matches at a little antiques shop in Colorado. Strange how these things travel. I bought them assuming from the name it was some sort of polynesian restaurant, glad to see my $1 gamble paid off.

Immortalize your name for eternity by contributing to The Tikipedia!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-02-21 13:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-03 12:51 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2014-02-22 05:25 am   Permalink

www.sanpedrobeacon.com/2013/11/20/ports-ocall-redevelopment-plan-a-hit-with-residents/

There are plans to tear down all of Ports O Call Village and build something flashier. The leases for all of the businesses run out at the end of 2014. They picture something like the San Antonio Riverwalk, which has 90 percent chain stores and restaurants if you've never been. If San Pedro wants to attract money spending visitors they will have to make more changes than putting up new building's.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-22 2:29 pm   Permalink

Sounds like they are trying to create a retail/dining/entertainment complex similar to The Pike in Long Beach, CA and we know how successful that is.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2014-02-22 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-22 14:29, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Sounds like they are trying to create a retail/dining/entertainment complex similar to The Pike in Long Beach, CA and we know how successful that is.

I've never understood the desire of developers to build "New England fishing villages" on the West Coast. People don't want see fake NE here. We have our own distinct architecture.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-24 11:12 am   Permalink

Two thoughts:
1) They build "fake New England-style fishing villages" out here on the east coast too in the theme parks.
2) If they re-build Ports-o-Call somewhat like the Pike was, and if they do it well, then they might end up with something like the Kemah Waterfront on the Gulf Coast southeast of Houston. The Kemah Waterfront rocks and I think has been popular enough to keep growing since I was there a number of years ago.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2014-04-10 10:25 am   Permalink

Here's a circa 1970's picture of the Ports O' Call Restaurant.
The photograph is from the Materials Testing Laboratory Photograph Collection, Los Angeles Harbor Department Historical Archives. I bet that would be a cool photo archive to go through.
L.A. Waterfront originally posted it on Facebook.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 12:42 pm   Permalink

I picked up this red version of the Ports o Call menu.

It is a luncheon menu so it does not list the Tiki drinks, it instead offers the "Old fashioned" lunch drinks of the day!

Now the really interesting thing about this menu are the restaurants listed on the back.

I have never heard of a Castway in Pomona or of the Rum Runner in the Port of Los Angeles. Some investigating to do on those locations.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-05 11:17 am   Permalink

I was excited to find a reference to the Rum Runner located in the Port of Los Angeles. Could it be another hidden Tiki spot from the Specialty Restaurant chain. It was used as a set location for the 1972 Mod Squad episode entitled "I Am My Brothers Keeper".

I found a You Tube clip of the scene that was shot here
Rum Runner

A bit disappointing, marginal 1970s nautical décor. And what about that waitress costume!

I read that the Rum Runner burned down in 1976.

Now, onto what about that Castaway in Pomona ....

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation