FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts 5/6/10 UPDATE! CHANGES GALORE! tiki backdrop on the cheap needed for a photoshoot...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
5/6/10 UPDATE! CHANGES GALORE! tiki backdrop on the cheap needed for a photoshoot...
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 9:24 pm   Permalink

I like this font best:

To me, it has the most vintage tiki graphics/design feel to it of all the choices so far.

Love the behind the scenes shots! The final image looks awesome! And your homemade tapa came out great - glad it shows in the final photo!

So what is this CD project? If it's half as cool as the CD art, it will be pretty darn amazing!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 09:26 am   Permalink

Thanks to everyone who replied and offered their advice and glowing words of encouragement. I must confess I had a minor artists crisis recently...you know, the one where you think your work is sh!t and should be destroyed in a violent hell-fire. I considered scrapping the entire project and reimagining it from the ground up. Luckily, I came to my senses and realized that I could make what I'd already completed work...somehow. I just needed to tweak it further and address the challenges I was facing head on. Anyway, with all that being said, there've been MORE changes made!

I've now retitled the project (hopefully it'll stick!) to "In The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room: The Enchanted Sounds Of Poynesian Pop." I love the song and even though it technically isn't Exotica, per se, it's still a heck of a lot of fun to listen and sing along to. Let's call it my homage to Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.

I've also reconfigured the text to better fit the shape of my "canvas" and get rid of a lot of the negative space I originally had going on in my design. I know some negative space is a good thing, but the background image was so detailed, it just looked silly to have such a short title and all this space around it. Plus, the scale of the type, compared with the scale of the Tiki and torches, looked odd and disproportionate. So, here's what I've got so far:

First you'll see the design as it fills the entire square canvas followed by a "matted" version that only reveals what will actually be printed on the disc.

Now, I need your help, oh wise members of Tiki Central! I've narrowed my font options down to two (maybe three, thanks to the kind words of tobunga in the previous post!), however I'm not sure which one I prefer in conjunction with the subtitle/secondary font, Chinese Rocks, I've chosen (which ISN'T changing). The main font in the photo above is titled Motel King. Here's how it pairs up with the subtitle sans all the fancy text effects.

And now here's option #2. It's called Hideaway.

Honestly? I like 'em both, although I think Hideaway is too tall and similar to Chinese Rocks whereas Motel King is low slung and wider offering a nice contrast to the condensed caps of Chinese Rocks. Still, Hideaway ain't bad. Too much contrast could be bad.

I'm also slightly troubled with the Liberty Records logo. I like the shape of it in the overall concept of my design, however, a vintage Exotica collection titled "In The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Room" would never appear on Liberty Records - not if Uncle Walt had anything to say about it! Perhaps the Disneyland Records logo might look better?

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming. I feel this project is nearing completion. I just need to square away a few more details...

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 1:41 pm   Permalink

More subtle but necessary changes...

So, I thought using a Disneyland Records versus a Liberty Records logo would make the concept of this design a little too wholesome. After all, The Enchanted Tiki Room soundtrack only makes up a small portion of the music I'm including on my compilation. The rest is pretty much "hardcore" exotica with a few Hawaiian songs thrown in for good measure. However, after seeing the vintage Disney logo in conjunction with the title text design, it just flat out works and makes me smile! Much more than I ever thought it would!

Another change you may or may not notice in the new sample above is that I detatched the white stroke from around the title text and set is slightly askew. There's also subtle drop shadow on the stroke that makes it seem to float. Now the title text treatment is unique and lively looking. Exactly what was missing before!

What do you think, though? Liberty or Disneyland? Should I keep the title font as shown or use font option #2 from my post above?

[ This Message was edited by: DejaVoodoo 2010-05-06 13:42 ]

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 6:30 pm   Permalink

Any thoughts on the semi-recent changes, guys?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation