FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Home Tiki Bars ╗ ╗ Tiki Nui
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki Nui
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 01:32 am   Permalink

My brother, David told me about this awesome site in March of 2009 and immediately became a member. I have been a lurker taking in as many topics that I could. I started collecting tiki mugs when he showed some of his mugs and talked me into going to Sam's for a Tiki event. I immediately got hooked and after going to Bamboo Ben's event one night and buying some items for $1.00 each, I decided to remodel my Sports room (converted detached garage) into a Tiki Lounge.

I didn't have a plan and did one wall at a time and I did the ceiling last. As you veterans know, the bar will never be done. I will start off with pictures of the room when it was a Sports Memorabilia Game room, white walls and white ceiling and all.

Front door to room,(wall#1).

Oak bar in front of wall#1.

Curtains covering wall #1.

Wall #2,

Side door on wall #2 and partial view of wall #3.

Wall#3, my entire collection at the beginning of my remodel. I fully understand why Rev Bamboo Ben dislikes white walls and ceilings.

wall#3, boxes of goodies I started to collect for the room on top of my pool table.

wall#3, shelves that use to hold bubble heads with mugs I found at Goodwill.

Wall #4, another neon light that I had throughout the game room. Wall 4 was all white with the exception of the pool cue rack hanging on it.

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 01:58 am   Permalink

I started my remodel with wall #2. Please forgive the clutter as the room is under construction at this point.

I wish I would have taken pictures as I completed each wall but I was so into the room, I often forgot to.

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 06:38 am   Permalink

How did you get that bamboo to stay up on the ceiling? Is that the Japanese garden fence style bamboo that you can get at Home Depot? I've worked with it a lot in my backyard and it can be unruly.

Looks great! Nice work.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 08:26 am   Permalink

Isn't it amazing how covering up bright white walls makes such a difference? Great start. Have fun with it.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-15 06:38, The Granite Tiki wrote:
How did you get that bamboo to stay up on the ceiling? Is that the Japanese garden fence style bamboo that you can get at Home Depot? I've worked with it a lot in my backyard and it can be unruly.

Looks great! Nice work.

Yes, that is bamboo fencing from Home Depot. The ceiling was the most challenging part of the room and you certainly know how unruly it is.

The room is approximately 20'X20' and is divided by a large wooden beam across the ceiling. I cut 3 and a half sections of 10'X6'. With my wife supporting the fencing up against the ceiling with my swimming pool pole and long brush, I used my pneumatic staple gun at the wire connections on the bamboo. I did two sections in about half a day. What a pain in the back, literally. I took a week off before I came up with an idea to screw in long strips of thin wood into the ceiling. I put a strip of wood about 3' apart (2 in each section) across the 6' sections. What a brainstorm that turned out to be. It took me less than one hour for each section. I know there are plenty of experience craftsmen that could have done it much quicker but after my first experience dealing with bamboo fencing, I was happy with the time.

I also learned my lesson and only did two sections a day and saved the backaches. Thank you for your kind words and I will be posting updated pictures of the ceiling.

tikilands
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-15 09:26 am   Permalink

Great work. I also did my ceilings in my tiki room with the Home depot bamboo fencing. Very challenging. What did you use for the walls? I have not done that and I am looking into finding material like the one you used. Any suggestions? Thanks

View Profile of tikilands Send a personal message to tikilands  Email tikilands     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 09:47 am   Permalink

Wall #1 was my next step. Again, please excuse the clutter as it is a work in progress.

I replaced those ugly white verticals with these bamboo curtains I found in craigslist. I bought an old bar at a garage sale and made my first Tiki bar.

I painted the white shelves ( have I mentioned I hate white?) and added more Tikes to my collection.

More pictures to follow of wall#3 and four.

TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-15 09:26, tikilands wrote:
Great work. I also did my ceilings in my tiki room with the Home depot bamboo fencing. Very challenging. What did you use for the walls? I have not done that and I am looking into finding material like the one you used. Any suggestions? Thanks

Thank you. For wall # 2 For the bottom section, I used matting I purchased for reasonably at Oceanic Arts. I used different kinds of Bamboo for the trim also purchased from O A. They are only ten minutes from my home. I don't know it that's a good thing. The staff there are awesome.

For the top section I used burlap that I bought online. Just google burlap and you will find it Cheap. On walls 1, (hidden below the bamboo curtain), walls 3 and 4 I also used seagrass wall paper. I found three new rolls at a garage sale while visiting my brother in Reno. I love garage sales and I go to them in each ever City I am traveling to. I used wallpaper glue for the seagrass, used glue (light coat) and staples for the burlap and staples for the matting.

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 10:49 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 12:16 pm   Permalink

Wall#3

The Pool table is going but the Jukebox is here to stay. I have had it for twenty years and it plays CD's. The parrot, pictures and chairs I picked up at a yard sales. You can see part of the ceiling that I did a little differently that the other side. The glass float that I picked up out of Craigslist will go up somewhere in the room.

I made the Tiki Fountain from a concrete Tiki that I purchased on Craigslist. I drilled a hole down the middle and added a water pump from a water fountain I bought at a yard sale. The coco joe's style tikis I purchased from the Bali Hai gift store going out of business sale. The Lamp I got from Bamboo Ben.

I got the hanging lamp from a garage sale. I put in a green light bulb, wrapped some fish netting shortened the chains and hung it. You can partially see a bamboo cabinet I purchased at King Richards across from Oceanic Arts in Whittier. I offered half of the asking price and they accepted. All the masks you see in the room I got dirt cheap at a yard sale in Sunset Beach.

This is a full view of the cabinet housing some of my favorite Mugs from Tiki bars I have visited including: Drift in Scottsdale, Trader Vic's, Scottsdale,Oakland, Los Angeles, Forbidden Island, The Bali Hai, La Mariana, Tiki Bar and Grill and Tahiti Nui all in Hawaii.

You can see Doug Horn's carving to the right and below it is another Bar I made. On the bar is another lamp I purchased from Bamboo Ben.

Some shots of the ceiling:

I have done some finishing touches on some of my shelves and have done the exterior to the "White" refrigerator. I will post those pictures later. I am open to any/all suggestions you may have for my room.

Mahalo

[ This Message was edited by: TikiVato 2010-03-15 12:22 ]

JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 1:35 pm   Permalink

Not bad! Further evidence that ANY room can be Tikified with proper attention to detail.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 2:20 pm   Permalink

Looks great, I used that Home Depot stuff for my walls.
Wish I would have thought of using burlap to cover the ceiling before putting up the fishnet...

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 2:52 pm   Permalink

Almost done. I have some finishing touches but that will continue til I'm in Tiki Heaven. Here's my latest pictures.

I refinished a couple of my exterior Tikis and put them inside the Tiki Nui. I don't know where I will house them but I think I want to put a light on them. Any suggestions?

I have earthquake proof most of my shelves but have a few more to finish.

My refrigerator is not white any more. I hate the color white now.

Close up of my Tiki Fountain.

My table has replaced the pool table. I still plan on putting in two pub tables.

My bottle opener and more Tikis.

I found these at a garage sale this past weekend. They are going to replace my white ceiling fans. Did I mention I hate white in the Tiki Nui? Didn't know what Bamboo Ben was talking about until I saw it in my room.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiVato 2010-03-15 14:57 ]

TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 12:55 pm   Permalink

I found a Bamboo Sofa for the Tiki Nui Lounge. I was looking through Craiglist yesterday and located a three band Bamboo pretzel sofa. I had been looking for a five but the price was right even though I had to go to San Diego (From Los Angeles) to pick it up. My wife went with me to make sure I didn't buy anything else from the thrift store.

As I loaded the sofa, my wife found a dated 1982 Kalp-son Rattan dinning table, four matching chairs and two leafs to expand the table. It will fit right into the Tiki Nui. I will show pictures of it when it goes in.

Here's the Sofa:

Top Picture: Condition of sofa at Thrift Store. Second picture,Bamboo is severely sun bleached. Last picture: Comparison of beached bamboo with bamboo I conditioned with Howard's beeswax/orange Food and Wax.

Picture showing damage to material covering springs.

Picture with burlap spring cover I installed.

Pictures of Sofa with Howard's treatment.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiVato 2010-03-18 12:58 ]

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 1:01 pm   Permalink

TikiVato! I love your nickname! Soooooo cool!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation