FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Fresh squeezed juice in the Tiki bar ??
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Fresh squeezed juice in the Tiki bar ??
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 7:10 pm   Permalink

Mai-Kai, Tiki-Ti, Trader Vic's, etc. ??

I know it's a pain, but who still DEFINITELY does it this way ??

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 7:11 pm   Permalink

Don the Beachcomber

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 09:44 am   Permalink

My house (unless I'm making huge batches, then Nellie & Joe's for lime juice).

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 10:44 am   Permalink

Tonga Hut. Kirby's Rumpus Room. Spermy's Blowhole.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 12:04 pm   Permalink

Lime juice for sure at the Mai-Kai, and at the Hideaway.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 12:53 pm   Permalink

The 'Ona 'Alu'alu...I've definitely helped prepare/hand-squeeze juices there on a few occasions.

AND - the future "The Grotto" will feature hand-squeezed fruit juices guaranteed - old school Filipino Poly-Pop style all the way, brothers and sisters......old school all the way.

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 1:56 pm   Permalink

Smuggler's Cove.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 5:59 pm   Permalink

Fresh all the way!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 6:12 pm   Permalink

Someone needs to grow a giant lime...like size of a grapefruit...now that would make juicing easier. I finally bought an electric citrus juicer...nothing fancy, but will try to make some fresh lime juice for my next party.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 8:53 pm   Permalink

Is it acceptable to squeeze a batch and freeze it in small portions for later use (like in ice cube trays)? Just askin'

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 9:01 pm   Permalink

Mike, I don't think that really counts as fresh squeezed juice. Isn't that the same as using frozen concentrate? I fear that some classic old-school places here in So Ca have gone new-school with that approach. I'd name names but I already catch too much heat as it is. FYI, it ain't DTBC or Tonga Hut.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-19 08:45 am   Permalink

One thing I do that I think helps keep the lime juice "fresh" for a while longer is to strain it when I bottle it. I have a strainer in my funnel. That pulp if part of what can send the juice south on you.

I use my juice for at least a week out of the fridge, and sometimes longer. Never had an issue.

But, what do I know? Could be just as long lasting with the little bits in it.

Be glad when lime prices get back down. 60-80 cents each has been crazy. Used to be 4 for a dollar...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-19 9:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Be glad when lime prices get back down. 60-80 cents each has been crazy. Used to be 4 for a dollar...

Wow. Wish I paid that much for limes. At the moment they are about 60 cents each but depending on the season sometimes they can cost me up to $4 each.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-20 06:57 am   Permalink

Anyone try using a juicer for lemons & limes . . . peel & all? I know you have to peel the orange part off an orange, but what about lemons & limes? Will they be too bitter to use in drinks?
Just wondering.

GH

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2010-03-20 06:57 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 09:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-20 06:57, GentleHangman wrote:
Anyone try using a juicer for lemons & limes . . . peel & all? I know you have to peel the orange part off an orange, but what about lemons & limes? Will they be too bitter to use in drinks?
Just wondering.

Industrial juicers (bars using fresh squeezed juice use them) squeeze the whole citrus, rind and all.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation