FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Delmonico's, Mexico City , Mexico (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Delmonico's, Mexico City , Mexico (restaurant)
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 07:27 am   Permalink

Name:The Red Rhinoceros
Type:bar
Street:Londres 87
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Upstairs bar inside the Delmonico's restaurant.

[ This Message was edited by: Zeta 2010-03-25 06:35 ]

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 07:30 am   Permalink

Vintage Postcard from the restaurant

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-03-18 07:33 am   Permalink

Zeta, how is this Tiki?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 07:52 am   Permalink

Hakalugi, man of little faith, have I failed you before?

Review from a 1964 AAA Mexico travel guide

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-03-18 08:45 am   Permalink

I think you're pushing it with this one.

Are those Tiki mugs on the table? It's very hard to tell in that photo. Can you zoom in on that portion? Are there Tikis in the restaurant/bar? Tropical decor?

The travel guide review says "exotic drinks". That alone is not really enough for inclusion here.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-03-18 08:57 am   Permalink

Oh "Exotic Drinks" ok then here are the Locations for the TGI Fridays in Mexico City so you won't need to enter them in Locating Tiki.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 09:12 am   Permalink

I took a long time to ponder and reflect about if I should post this place on TC because I really don't want to fill it with tikiless spam topics and ruin my "reputation" by doing so. I truly believe this place was really something (tiki). I never went there, but when I ask about old exotic theme bars in Mexico city, many people mention this place as "exotic and weird" like Mauna Loa,

I thought the same about those mugs on the table, but I am not sure and I don't own that postcard which is for sale on ebay right now:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=delmonico+mexico&_sacat=0&_odkw=delmonico&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313#

I have no idea how this bar looked like and that's why I posted it here, hopefully someone someday will find something somewhere. What I DO know, is that it was exotic and served exotic drinks in exotic mugs and that the owners had something to do with the Mauna Loa bar that was close by...

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 09:14 am   Permalink

Whoa! Bora Boris! Why the hostility?!?!

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 09:16 am   Permalink

And anyway, I don't see any "exotic drinks" mentioned on your rude comment above!

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 09:31 am   Permalink

Well, count me as one person who'd like to see more info on Delmonico's and the bar (bars?) inside. I have a menu from the "Otros 4 Ases" (or, Four Aces More) which is apparently a cocktail bar inside Delmonico's, at the same address as this Red Rhino. I wonder what's the relationship. Perhaps Delmonico's itself should be the title for the Locating topic.

Probably several of the illustrious TC paper collectors have the Otros 4 Ases menu. I just scanned it the other night, to possibly post somewhere (I was thinking maybe the crypto mug thread). The drink renderings are more whimsical and less realistic than your typical menu. Kind of Vip-style mini-comics. In fact, quite a few appear as clip art in the original Grog Log, and VERY recognizable. I think Jeff and Annene had a couple collaborators who helped on gathering the little graphics for the Grog Log - I forget who they were, but it might have been Otto.

Anyway, this is a place that would be fun to learn more about, and especially see more imagery. I've never heard of the Red Rhino before though, and that name appears nowhere on the menu (other than the shared location at Delmonico's).

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 09:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-08 07:14, Zeta wrote:

Vintage ad.

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-03-18 09:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-18 09:14, Zeta wrote:
Whoa! Bora Boris! Why the hostility?!?!

Hostility? Nah just taking precautions. If you would have put your follow up information in the original post then maybe I wouldn't have said anything but I agree with Hakalugi that "Exotic Drinks" is not enough. Why not present all your information at once, instead of having it trickle in slowly? Also being owned by the people who owned the Mauna Loa isn't really enough, Trader Vic's Señor Pico isn't in Locating Tiki and it shouldn't be. I think it's great those guys had other business interests but that doesn't make those places Locating Tiki material, however an entry in Beyond Tiki would be fine.

Didn't you retire from Tiki Central a few days ago?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 10:15 am   Permalink

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 10:29 am   Permalink

Don't let these guys run you off again, Zeta. Your contributions and your diligence to urban archeology are appreciated. You just filed this in the wrong place. La Descarga isn't Tiki, either. It's a Cuban rum bar in Hollywood, but it's got it's own thread in BEYOND TIKI which is where this report would have been better suited. We just need to move it.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-03-18 10:44 am   Permalink

Done!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation