Posted: 2012-12-06 10:53 am   Permalink

http://www.bookfinder.com/

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-07 11:14 am   Permalink

Great thread!
Just cost me some dough though.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-10 1:43 pm   Permalink

Just received my copy of Arts Of The South Seas in the mail today! Cost me 15 clams, and it's worth every one! Incredible pieces in this book

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-12 07:55 am   Permalink

Great thread Jon Paul, if anyone is interested in the real stuff there is a great exhibition at the Musee du quai branly in Paris, We went a couple of weeks ago and it is amazing what they have there(I hope you went on your recent trip Sven?)If anyone is in Europe well worth a visit to what real Tiki is all about,Not to mention the shrunken heads!Here are a couple of pics of about 40 i took There are also a lot of books available in the gift shop but mostly in French but still great images

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-12 08:18 am   Permalink

Thanks for the contributions.

I just picked up the Ben Hunt books.

I need to carve an outrigger, and that's going to be a huge help.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-17 11:39 am   Permalink

Just got this book in the mail.
On Pg 15 is this carving.
At the last Kahiki sale I bought this carving.
Not the same one, but it does have more of a old look feel to it.
Makes me wonder who made this copy.
Was told by Bill Sapp that a lot of the Kahiki decor came from Mexico.

_________________________________________________________________________________
"Roses are red, these floats are blue, Send me some money and they belong to you"..."TIKISKIP"

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-17 18:03 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 4:07 pm   Permalink

Ok, Great Thread you all.
I am however stuck with a question as I am looking at pulling the trigger on the Adrienne Lois Kaeppler edition of Oceanic Art, And the question is: How many of these books are filled with many of the same photographs?

I other words, after I spend $100.00 on this book, how necessary would a copy of say, Anthony P Meyer's edition of Oceanic Art be?

Although I probably wind up with the Hewicker and Tischner edition eventually because it's a classic, and others, I have limited room for my library at the moment and I want something I can pour over and over for carving inspiration.

Just trying to get the most bang for my buck on this one.

Thanks!

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-03 11:49 am   Permalink

This thread needs a bump. I got some new books for Christmas and organized my Tiki bookshelf into the Tiki Pop side:

And the Oceanic Arts side.

Question for the book worms out there: Several of my books, like Oceanic Art: Myth, Man and Image in the South Seas by Schmitz and the Art of the South Seas Islands, have color photo inserts that were glued to the pages and the photos are coming unattached. Does anybody have a recommendation for an archival type of glue to re-attach them?

Thanks to Jon Paul for organizing this thread, looking forward to adding some more to the collection as funds permit.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation