FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Maori or Fijian?
Maori or Fijian?
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 3:07 pm   Permalink

this is a Fijian club not Maori correct??
any way check out this post i found... do 'we' know him??
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saintplan/3966556053/

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 3:14 pm   Permalink

found this too while pic snagging.. has someone posted it?? super cool carving here:
http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/3532632

and you club carvers have to see this one if someone did not post it. incredible Ebay researching here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A-Superb-19th-Century-Wahaika-Short-Maori-Hand-Club_W0QQitemZ220561919900QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335a83cf9c

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2010-03-20 17:18 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 4:39 pm   Permalink

that's a fijian "gata" club. the thing holding is called, "nutcasius craptacticus".

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 4:41 pm   Permalink

Ha! I know that tiki...it's at the shell shop in Hokitika along with a few others. Turi Gibbs is the artist - his style is very distinctive (and very cool). Lots of his tikis are like this with really animated postures. He also does incredible jade work:
http://www.ponsonbyroad.co.nz/theviaduct/gallery/Default.asp?page=77
You should really come to NZ on a field trip Al....

...and yes that's a Fijian "gunstock" club (someone else may know the proper name). I have no idea what he's trying to express with the combo of wig, warclub, bastardised female facial tattoo and tighty-whities, but he looks like he's having fun doing it.

Nice wahaika too...and pretty good price for an elaborate and old piece.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 5:17 pm   Permalink

in defense, hopeful thinking, and not knowing the true... that guy could be taking reference shots for a painting or other artist endeavor.... if one could only see into the files of painters/illustrators......

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2010-03-20 17:20 ]

kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 01:46 am   Permalink

i love it! c'al finds a pic of a guy in a barristers wig and underwear and his first thought is "hey, that club is fijian, not maori"! stay tiki, braddah!
i really dig the shape of that wahaika. imagine if benzart did his version of that one!

[ This Message was edited by: kingstiedye 2010-03-21 13:06 ]

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 10:27 am   Permalink

What Drake and KTD said!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 1:03 pm   Permalink

ooh, now i'm drooling about a similar bk club. (best homer voice) mmmmmm, basement kahuna!

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 1:57 pm   Permalink

i think tikimecula could do it some justice, too.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 2:04 pm   Permalink

The "The Colonial (Maori War Club) 2" pic is just creepy but the club is def. cool. Love the pose on the Maori Tiki. Sounds like a great idea to start animating poses. Thanks for the share.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 10:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-21 13:57, pdrake wrote:
i think tikimecula could do it some justice, too.

oh you're just teasing me now. mmmm, tikimecula!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation