FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Lets see those PONDS!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Lets see those PONDS!!!
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 9:19 pm   Permalink

I've been working on my ponds with Troy, the Bamboo Craftsman, and they look great.

He bought a large featherstone and drilled through the middle to create a volcano.

has anyone any experience with Foggers or Misters??

Pictures please.

Robertiki,

Portland, OR

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-23 07:11 am   Permalink

Mine's a rather simple deal made of 2 large concrete pipes

I put black slate on the top edge of one pond (edited pic added 3/31) and am in the process of putting volcanic rock on the sides of the taller red pond. I didn't want the pump to run continuously, but I wanted it on when I was nearby so I connected it to a motion detector.

I tried a floating 3 head ultrasonic mister and was disappointed with the fog output. A bigger 10 head would probably make more fog but they are expensive. The patio cooling misters make a great fog if they are attached to a high pressure pump (like 150 psi), that's what most of the amusement parks use for fog. I have a Halloween fogger I hide in the bushes for special occasions, that works real well.

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-03-31 10:55 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-23 09:42 am   Permalink

pooh... no pond, just aquarium. maybe some day.

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-27 12:26 am   Permalink

great pics!
I had a small mister I used in an indoor fountain that worked pretty well; it changed colors too.
I just bought some pond stuff and am hoping to put in a tropical pond area in the next weekend or so. Later, I plan to add fish, ducklings and maybe a frog or turtle!

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-04 5:26 pm   Permalink

I've got a 150 gal. pond in the backyard...just cleaned it last weekend and took out some plants. The water lilies are starting to grow...or at least until this horrid weather came along! I've got one goldfish and a bunch of mosquito fish. In about a month I'll get 2 more goldfish and keep them in another container until they appear to be disease free. My goldfish is about 6-7 inches, orange and white. I sure don't want to loose that one!

I was working on re-landscaping around the pond and moving the bead filter back and covering it with reed fenching, but the weather stalled everything. When spring returns and things start growing, I'll take pictures.

I've got to get some new pond netting too...birds got 3 of my goldfish before we netted. Racoons got the Koi my sister had in the pond before I moved in this house. So if you get fish, be sure you protect them.

I don't have a waterfall...just the small fountain bubbler in the center for oxygenization. I have a dry creekbed going from one end of the pond, with a bridge over it. Just got a new bridge from Big Lots that I will install when the weather clears. I'm in Sacramento, so whatever the Bay had, we will get a few days later. I'm in the very start of the foothills, so it gets pretty cold!

Looking forward to seeing more pond and water feature ideas!!!

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jcorrigan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-13 12:54 pm   Permalink

I'm considering putting in a tiki pond myself..as the tiki bar construction (or the main part anyways) draws to a close I'm looking round the backyard and thinking 'MORE Bwana MORE'

View Profile of jcorrigan Send a personal message to jcorrigan  Email jcorrigan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-13 6:46 pm   Permalink

I've waited and waited and now I'm SICK of waiting - I'm gonna dig thru the archive and post pix of people's ponds if they won't do it themselves!!!

This is
McTiki's, posted 10/06

Here is pariartspaul's, posted 6/07

Howland's Jungalero Lagoon from 9/09

I'll post more as I find them

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-13 6:54 pm   Permalink

Now that's community service at it's finest. Thanks, MDM!
Wow, everyone. Very inspiring!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-14 03:32 am   Permalink

Here's one with a volcano by King Leo posted 7/07. Robertiki, this one has a 9-head mister in the top of the volcano

This one is more of a fountain than a pond - by bamboo stu, posted 10/7

The Backyard Jungles thread was a goldmine:
This is a swimming pool by fatuhiva (does that count as a pond?) Posted 08/07

And a pond (or maybe a moat) in the same yard

Is it possible that this is where Ty Webb (Chevy Chase) lived in the for movie "Caddyshack"?
Carl Spackler (played by a rather grundgy Bill Murray): "Uhm, this place got a pool?"
Ty Webb: "Pool and a pond... the, uh, pond would be good for you."

Bongofury has a nice looking pond in the same thread, posted 08/07

Looks like Bongofury has a second water feature too, posted 2/09 in his How to Build a Lava-Clamshell Fountain in One Day

Again, from the same Backyard Jungle thread posted 09/07 by Jungle Trader

From the same thread, a pond by JohhnyP posted 09/07

Also from Backyard Jungles, this pond by ahvyna posted 7/08

One last pic from the Backyard Jungle thread is a pool posted 12/08 by SizzlePixels

Here's a pool by Monkeyman posted 3/10

Queen Kamehameha's pond & waterfalls. Posted 5/09

Outdoor fountain with misters by Atomic Tiki Punk posted 3/10

A couple of waterless fountains by Tiki David Posted 6/08

Another waterless Witco fountain by Sneakyjack posted 8/06

A waterless UA fountain by Swanky posted 12/06

Speaking of waterless fountains, here's one posted 04/10 by Tipsy McSwagger

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-04-18 21:23 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-14 03:35 am   Permalink

Now how about some commercial ponds:

This one has been attributed to the Hanalei (now the Crown Plaza and site of Oasis) in San Diego. Sounds like it may have been lost in the remodel, I'm sure someone will give us the scoop.

This is the only picture I found of the fountain at Don the Beachcomber's. I'm sure there's better pictures and I think there's more than one fountain.

Now here's a pond from
Don the Beachcomber's in Kona, HI

C'MON PEOPLE - Help me out with pic from the restaurant fountains!

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-04-14 08:32 ]

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-18 10:43 pm   Permalink

MadDog, you have been a very busy man on this thread, sorry I have not stopped by until now
when do you have time for work & family?
keep up the nice job though.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-22 07:21 am   Permalink

ATP, family comes first but work and TC can happen at the same time

Here's the way cool "Beach Bum Shipwreck Falls" from Matt Reese's
Lava Flow Inn

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 6:08 pm   Permalink

Okay, Mike, here's a pic of mine.
You can see the tiki in the shadows keeping watch.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-06 8:37 pm   Permalink

Thank you Bill. Looks very refreshing - I need to steal some of your water hyacinth one of these days if I ever make it up to your place

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-07 05:31 am   Permalink

great thread for inspiration! neat detective work Maddog - we're all thankful.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation